Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default FoxFi Working On Jellybean?

I was prompted for the Jellybean update this morning but have not yet accepted it because I wasn't sure if FoxFi would work anymore. I've heard about other phones that have been updated to Jellybean that it no longer worked.

Just want to see if anyone has attempted to run FoxFi on the new update and what the results were. If it doesn't work, I'm hard pressed to update after throwing $7 on the table for the paid version.

Thanks!

Default Re: FoxFi Working On Jellybean?

Foxfi appears to be working fine so far, the only issue is that it turns on the verizon default tether app. Just wondering if I'll get charged by verizon
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    Foxfi appears to be working fine so far, the only issue is that it turns on the verizon default tether app. Just wondering if I'll get charged by verizon

When you look at your plan in the features section does it look like it has changed anything under the tethering section?

Doesn't appear to have changed anything yet, but I would be surprised if it would show up so soon

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    I tried with a power control widget and it was the same deal. I didn't read any cautions of them charging you for it.. although they are promoting the hotspots with the family share plan, so I hope I didn't get switched to that and loose my unlimited data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

are there other apps/widgets besides Foxfi? thanks!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    I've done a lot of searching, especially before I paid the $7 for FoxFi and I was unable to find an app that did the job FoxFi does. There are some that work great with root access (I hear), but I'm not rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    Another choice is easy tether. It works great and I have been using it for a few years now. The downside is it's a usb tethering app. I also heard the blue tooth hotspot part of foxfi is still working as normal. I don't have a blue tooth enabled device to check though.

Another thing, we may just be worrying for nothing. I have never rooted, but if I understand it correctly, it allows you access to turn on the verizon hotspot app, just like foxfi does now. If thats the way rooting works, then foxfi turning on the hotspot app should be just fine. If someone who is rooted could chime in that would be great.

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts

I'm not sure why you think it isn't working. Mine has always had the system hotspot show up in the notification bar. I use SVTP and it crashes but still works.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I'm also holding off since I'm also un rooted I checked after activating foxfi in the system settings using ICS and the Verizon hotspot is not on.
    FoxFi Working On Jellybean?-uploadfromtaptalk1355590499805.jpg

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrye1966 View Post
    I'm also holding off since I'm also un rooted I checked after activating foxfi in the system settings using ICS and the Verizon hotspot is not on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355590499805.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	51170

I was thinking the same. I always thought the icon on the notification bar was of FoxFi. I'm still kinda iffy about updating. I'll keep playing the waiting game, but hopefully not much longer.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

that is the FoxFi icon in the bar..I posted cause I thought people were saying that the Verizon hot spot turned on also. In the screen shot I posted, it shows FoxFi active in the icon bar and the Verizon hotspot off. I'm still waiting for a answer from someone also about what this talk is about the Verizon hotspot being turned on. anyone could post a screen shot please? I'm not going to upgrade to JB till I see no confusion about this FoxFi thing
    TBoltShock83839 likes this.

When I turn on FoxFi it turns on Verizon tethering. This also happened after my Nexus was updated to JB, however, I was never charged tethering fees, and I am on Unlimited as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FoxFi Working On Jellybean?-2012-12-16-01.21.13.png  
    Thanked by 5:

Quote Originally Posted by jbarrymck View Post
    When I turn on FoxFi it turns on Verizon tethering. This also happened after my Nexus was updated to JB, however, I was never charged tethering fees, and I am on Unlimited as well.
    Thanks for the info, Im going to use it, and assume I won't get charged. If I get charged, then maybe I'll disable it.

i had foxfii on my s3 when first month i bought it. always used it on the droidx to run laptop. after using foxfi for 30 min. on the s3 got a prompt on my s3 from verizon that i had used x number of extra megabytes. it was enough to put me over my 2g allotment. verizon knows exactly what we are all doing. i deleted foxfi off because of that threat. verizon is capable of doing anything they want.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts

FoxFi or any wifi tethering app still use your data, either from a share plan bucket or from your unlimited data, whichever is applicable. VZW sent you the message because you exceeded your plan limit. It has nothing to do with what app you're using. The apps circumvent the need to have a tethering plan activated, which for unlimited data plan holders is $30/month. Shared data plan holders no longer need or are required to have that tethering plan.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by jbarrymck View Post
    So we're confirmed that this is the case and everything is still working smoothly? I still haven't updated yet, but now I'm getting the urge to.

??? What does FoxFi have to do with you going over your data plan? You would have gotten the same "courtesy text" going over your data plan using 4G.

Updated to JB yesterday. Today when I tried to open Foxfi, verizon would not let it open unless I paid for their hotspot.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by gulfjack View Post
    Updated to JB yesterday. Today when I tried to open Foxfi, verizon would not let it open unless I paid for their hotspot.
    Wow, that is terrible. If I update, I'll probably go ahead and root. Seems like the only other option other than paying the $30 a month. But, I feel like the Verizon bill is plenty high enough.

I stupidly upgraded to JB today. Now FoxFi doesn't work. The VZ mobile hotspot automatically turns on, and when I kill it it essentially kills my FoxFi signal, as my PC can't connect.

F you, Verizon. I should have done more research before upgrading. Now I'm screwed.

I have been using FoxFi since the JB update and have not been prompted to accept VZW's hot spot terms, conditions, etc. Checked my account and hot spot is not a service I am paying for.

Anybody gotten their most recent bill and noticed any charges for the tethering from Foxfi yet? I haven't used mine since the update and hopefully I'll be able to soon.
    DGL

Everything you believed is a lie...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast