Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrDoh
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Default 3g woes

I recently switch to a Galaxy S3 on Verizon. I decided to stay with Verizon for some reason...I think it was the 4g. The problem I'm having is everytime my phone drops to 3g speed it literally stops doing ANYTHING. I just got the Jelly Bean update and hoped it would fix it but it hasen't. I'm about to move into an area where 4g coverage is spotty and I can't believe that 3g works this bad on this phone. Does anyone else have crappy performance on 3g? I wanted to get other people's perspectives before I took it back to have it replaced.

Thanks much.
    --Aric

Default Re: 3g woes

I have not seen this. I works fairly well with 3G, before and after the Jellybean upgrade.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Ok, well hopefully it's just my phone. Means unrooting it, but I'll just take it back and exchange it. I'd hate to exchange it for something else, but it not working I might have to switch to something else like the Galaxy Nexus (which I wouldn't mind honestly).

Thanks much
    --Aric

Don't worry, unless you're in a really marginal 3G area, it's just your phone. I only use 3G (and WiFi) of course and it works fine.

One thing I wanted to mention is the Verizon Network Extender...even though it galls me to pay a princely monthly sum for Verizon coverage, and then have to pay $250 to actually extend Verizon's coverage to my house in a way that doesn't quickly drain the battery of my phone, it makes my phone much less annoying *smile*. Without the network extender, we have one bar of signal strength at my desk, and up to 2 bars elsewhere. One bar of cell phone strength causes the phone's battery to drop quickly, since the phone is working hard just to keep the cell phone signal usable. And not enough 3G to do much of anything. With the network extender we have at least 3 bars of cell signal strength throughout the house, and good enough 3G to actually use the internet, etc. reasonably. Although I'm usually using WiFi at home, a lot of visitors just continue to use their 3G, and it's good to have some *smile*. So, like I said, even though it bugs me to have to buy an appliance to get the coverage that I'm paying for, I'd recommend it if you're in a "fringe" area. Saves a lot of charging and annoyance.

By the way, my address shows on Verizon's map in a "best" area *sigh*. If this is the best, I'd hate to see the "good" areas.
    Thanked by:
    rxgadget likes this.