Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kjjb0204
  • 2 Post By Ricky Babalu
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what are the top 10 things you like after the VZW Galaxy S3 got Jelly Bean via OTA update?

what are the top 10 things you like after the VZW Galaxy S3 got Jelly Bean via OTA update?

I can't even name one... and both of my S3s (and my old GNex) already have JB...

Just want something that I can tell people about my phone.

Global Posts
    2,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Default Re: what are the top 10 things you like after the VZW Galaxy S3 got Jelly Bean via OTA update?

Google Now is amazing. It gets my words every time.

Global Posts
    2,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Default Re: what are the top 10 things you like after the VZW Galaxy S3 got Jelly Bean via OTA update?

Brightness slider in the notification panel
    iceberg384 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Google Now is amazing. It gets my words every time.
    Without even ever telling it to do so, my phone now buzzes at pretty much the exact time I'm about to leave the office every night, and tells me how long it will take me to get home, and which routes to avoid due to traffic. Not necessarily something I needed, but living in DC it's definitely kinda nice to have!

phone just runs much faster and smoother. Google Now is very cool.

I like the new notification bar, with the option to adjust the brightness. I also like how the 'settings' area has been redesigned. I'm not sure if Google Now is new with JB, but I like it a lot.

I've noticed most of the touches are slight, but really enhance the phone.

Smooth UI
    Google Now
    Brightness in bar
    Email Previews in bar
    Exit navigation from bar
    Return calls or directly text via bar
    Animation when swapping between apps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Nicely done ^:-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I've been a huge fan of this upgrade even though I maybe can't say it's been a life changer. I can't put my finger on it, but it just FEELS like what I expected the S3 experience to feel like.

1- Smoother transitioning between apps/screens
    2- Google Now is fun to play around with. I haven't really used it a ton yet, but it's fun to set up and see the possibilities
    3- I LOVE the new look of "folders". I use 8 different folders on my homescreen, and I got so sick of the ugly manilla looking folder icon
    4- I have enjoyed the new widgets. The commonly used contacts, as well as the Google Play Music and Books widgets
    5- Expandable notifications aren't essential but it's convenient and I like it
    6- I like the look of the date and time at the top of the notification bar when you have it pulled down
    7- Some of my apps were better optimized for JB instead of ICS. So I got some cool new features when I got the upgrade
    8- I like when you place a icon or widget on the screen and the others will automatically shift in order to allow you to place the icon.

That's all I can think of right now. And I know most of those are very small, pointless things. But they are subtle changes that I really appreciate and like I said, I think it really provides the user experience I expected.

Taking pictures while recording videos!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    Didn't even know that. Thanks!
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    This feature was available on pre JB (ICS).
    Thanked by:
    Yeagerbomb3 and iceberg384 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    This feature was available on pre JB (ICS).
    Shows how much I record stuff.....thought it was new. Oh well.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

My Allshare dongle now works!

Well, I just turned Google Now off.

It seems to be pretty useless. Sure, it shows weather reports, but I had that anyway (Elecont Weather). And it shows package tracking, but I had that anyway (Slice).

What sounded like a neat new feature, advising me of traffic before my commute, completely doesn't work at all. It's always telling me how far it is to home, even when I am home. It doesn't tell me anything about time to get to work, and it doesn't have a clue about when I'd be making the trips. So I'll just stick with Waze.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius Street View Post
    It's always telling me how far it is to home, even when I am home. .
    wow! Your home must be a palace if you need directions when you're already home!

Does turning off Google Now save battery life at all? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius Street View Post
    Well, I just turned Google Now off.

It seems to be pretty useless. Sure, it shows weather reports, but I had that anyway (Elecont Weather). And it shows package tracking, but I had that anyway (Slice).

What sounded like a neat new feature, advising me of traffic before my commute, completely doesn't work at all. It's always telling me how far it is to home, even when I am home. It doesn't tell me anything about time to get to work, and it doesn't have a clue about when I'd be making the trips. So I'll just stick with Waze.
    How long have you been using it? It takes awhile for it to learn all your places and what times you usually go to those places. I think you can configure this in the settings though. Every morning it tells me how long it'll take for me to get to school without fail. If you hit more cards, it even offers more suggestions for new places you visit often if you want to add them. Even right now at work, its showing me directions home and traffic. Its also cool for checking sports updates and all that jazz. I think it helps me eliminate maybe 2 or 3 apps I would normally download by functioning like this.

1. Exchange email not loaded with HTML links
    2. Google Now response time
    3. Notifications (although this took me a while to get used to...)
    4. Stock browser layout and speed

I'm pretty upset there's no multi window option in the display settings and I don't have the best face feature on my camera

Global Posts
    2,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by Plurlove View Post
    I'm pretty upset there's no multi window option in the display settings and I don't have the best face feature on my camera
    I thought multiwindow wasn't coming until that premium pack or whatever it was that is on the note 2.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

I think its coming in 4.1.2
    Verizon GS3 - "Give me signal or give me death!"

In addition to all the other things mentioned here,
    I like that it's a global phone now, too.
    Went to Italy back in May and had to rent an Incredible 2 from VZW because my Original Droid wouldn't cut it there. When I got the SGS3 in July I was hopeful that by the next time we traveled to Europe (hopefully by this coming summer) I'd be able to use it there without having to resort to another rental phone.