Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't find the answers to these questions...

Hi,
    I love my gs3 and thenew jelly bean update
    I have a few problems I've been trying to troubleshoot since day one and can't find the answers anywhere. In short, the issues are the phone keypad voice dial button, battery drain In flight mode, and the calendar freezing /stopping

Here are the issues explained :

Phone keypad voice dial button:

When the phone keypad is open, in the bottom left corner is a button with a microphone icon. Before jelly bean anytime I pressed it my phone froze. It now has worked a couple of times and seems to be a cool voice dialer and it just stopped working again. How do you get this to work?

Battery drain in flight mode:

I'm frequently turning on flight mode because I'm in bad service areas like the subway very often and the signal searching drains the battery. While in flight mode, if I go into task manager, occasionally programs like facebook and weather channel get "stuck" and the cpu usage is quite high and the end button to the right of the program is red. If I don't manually quit the program (or forget) at that time, I'll have major battery drainage. Has anyone found a solution for this, perhaps a program that would sense the high cpu usage and kill the affected app?

Calendar has stopped :

If I try to forward an event to someone, using the forward button at the bottom of the event in the calendar it doesn't work. Instead, I receive an error message that the "calendar has stopped".

Thanks to all who are able to help and have felt my pain!

Happy Holidays
    Ross

Default Re: Can't find the answers to these questions...

Sounds like you might have to do a factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by bobubbabear View Post
    Sounds like you might have to do a factory reset.
    As much as I hate to say it, I agree.

I've said it before, but the one thing that I think Apple does right is the way they do system updates: Backup data --> wipe device --> install update --> restore applicable data.
    I think it would be great if Goolge and/or OEMs had a tool (i.e. a better version of KIES) that could do all that for you like iTunes does. Even BlackBerry desktop manager has been doing updates like that for years.

Carriers like to deploy OTA updates that just install over your current data...which is nice because it doesn't delete any apps or clear any settings...but it also is asking for problems such as described by the OP.

I generally say that doing a factory reset prior to installing an OTA is probably a good idea, but I know most folks don't want to have to deal with all that.

I'd make sure your contacts info and all that is being synced with Gmail or otherwise backed up, and then I'd do the factory reset. You will have to set your device up all over again, but I think you'll find a lot of your issues will be resolved.

You can also back up your device using Kies, I don't know how well it works but it looks like it backs up most data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums