JellyBean Sucks!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not really it could be just maps related because its not taking that much juice from my phone at all

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I knew it but damn me, I updated and man this update blows, kills battery, vznav is slow or force-closes, email will not sync, browser is slow and crashes often, keyboard is as bad as my old DroidX. Im not the only one by the other posts. I shoulda known better, time and time again this stands true. If it aint broke dont fix it, now samsung fix all the broken parts! Anyway, how do I revert to the last ICS before this jellybean junk

I always look forward to these posts after a new update. Everyone knows that if you have major problems, you do a factory reset. That's just the way it goes. And if they are simple problems, that doesn't mean the update sucked, it means you have to do things a bit differently. Overall new updates ALWAYS make the phone better. You may not want to take the necessary steps to make it a good experience, but that's your decision. Either you do those things, or you deal with the frustrations. Whatever you prefer.

Don't get me wrong, I know that updates can be frustrating. But ultimately it's like getting a new phone. When you get a new phone things are always different. By now, you should expect that when a big update is coming.

Kurpaige#IM

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure its JB. Maybe its the OTA update or not being rooted cause CleanROM 5.5.1 on my device and 20 - 23 hours of battery with most of my activity being camera, phone calls and word with friends. This is the first phone I can actually make calls all day and use the camera upload to google+ sports updates and still make it home without worrying about plugging it in until I go to bed.

WhoolioPreludee

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, kicking and screaming but I did a reset (several) and things get a bit better. Though its only been 24hrs so we'll see if the marginally better persists or if a ICS reflash is needed. I have flashed back from HoneyComb to Ics to JB and back in between on my Xoom and I'm kind of weary about flashing custom roms. But anyway so far so good, well so far so ok......

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If people are having this many issues with stock Jelly Bean, but still want JB? Just root your phone and flash a stock based ROM. The one I'm currently running is The Executioner 2.5 (comes basic with over clocking abilities, Beats? Audio boost, and V6 supercharged!)

I Am The Superuser

Mitch Mccomas

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So how do you go back? All I see are links to other jelly bean based junk. My phone worked fine until I woke up one morning T verizon had forced the updates on both of my s3's. Verizon is no help and samsung isnt either. All I want is to put them back to the way there were bc jellybean is horrible. Its almost worse than having apple.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So how do you go back? All I see are links to other jelly bean based junk. My phone worked fine until I woke up one morning T verizon had forced the updates on both of my s3's. Verizon is no help and samsung isnt either. All I want is to put them back to the way there were bc jellybean is horrible. Its almost worse than having apple.

Have you tried a factory reset, or just want to complain *smile*?

Mitch Mccomas

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset, or just want to complain *smile*?

The not so helpful people at verizon told me a factory rest will not put it back to the old software, but it might "fix the glitches" with the update. I do want to complain lol, more about verizon altering my phone that I bought cash without my permission than about the new os. Im sire the jellybean is great for some people amd has many more features and can open up more things, but I loved how fast and easy to use my phone was before. It did more than I needed out of the box..

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The not so helpful people at verizon told me a factory rest will not put it back to the old software, but it might "fix the glitches" with the update. I do want to complain lol, more about verizon altering my phone that I bought cash without my permission than about the new os. Im sire the jellybean is great for some people amd has many more features and can open up more things, but I loved how fast and easy to use my phone was before. It did more than I needed out of the box..

I find that my phone is just as fast with Jelly Bean, and somewhat smoother doing scrolling, so I'm okay with it. I've worked through the initial problems, but I'm used to that from previous experience with iPhone updates *smile*. The major iPhone updates, especially the iOS 4 to iOS 5 one, and the iOS 5.0 to iOS 5.0.1, and 5.0.1 to 5.1, were worse than the Jelly Bean update by a longshot. I had to work on my phone for some time to get on top of battery issues, and resets didn't help, had to do full restores (which is equivalent to a re-install in iPhone-land).

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The major iPhone updates, especially the iOS 4 to iOS 5 one, and the iOS 5.0 to iOS 5.0.1, and 5.0.1 to 5.1, were worse than the Jelly Bean update by a longshot. I had to work on my phone for some time to get on top of battery issues, and resets didn't help, had to do full restores (which is equivalent to a re-install in iPhone-land).

My experience is different. I have had zero battery problems from updating the iOS on my iPhones. I went from 4.0.x to 5.0.x to 5.1 to 6.0 with no battery problems. The only problem I encountered was the wifi glitch on 6.0 which was fixed on 6.0.1.

Sent from my iPhone 7

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Unlike iOS devices, a factory reset on an Android device only wipes all user data and resets you to a "first use" experience on boot -- it does not revert you back to a previous software version. This is just a difference of how updates are applied on the different platforms. There is no way to "uninstall" an Android update -- if you want to go back, you have to do a full downgrade install (which often requires root to accomplish).

Having said that, doing the factory reset has been documented to fix a lot of the issues that folks have been experiencing with this past update, so it's definitely worth a shot.

I find that my phone is just as fast with Jelly Bean, and somewhat smoother doing scrolling, so I'm okay with it. I've worked through the initial problems, but I'm used to that from previous experience with iPhone updates *smile*. The major iPhone updates, especially the iOS 4 to iOS 5 one, and the iOS 5.0 to iOS 5.0.1, and 5.0.1 to 5.1, were worse than the Jelly Bean update by a longshot. I had to work on my phone for some time to get on top of battery issues, and resets didn't help, had to do full restores (which is equivalent to a re-install in iPhone-land).

My experience is different. I have had zero battery problems from updating the iOS on my iPhones. I went from 4.0.x to 5.0.x to 5.1 to 6.0 with no battery problems. The only problem I encountered was the wifi glitch on 6.0 which was fixed on 6.0.1.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Individual experiences aside, it seems that both the Android world and iOS world have their fair share of issues with every update. I personally feel that this is just as much a symptom of manufacturers having to make the update process as "user-friendly" as possible, as it is actually problems with the updates themselves.

I'm not as familiar with Apple's deployment methods, so I can't speak too much on that, but with Android, I feel that current OTA method of update deployment, while very user friendly, is an awful way to actually update a device. I would much prefer if there was a method for EVERY update to do a full backup of personal data, then do a full data wipe, then apply update, then restore compatible data. This, while a bit more complicated for the end-user, would probably ensure a much better user experience post-update than just trying to install a major OS upgrade on top of an existing configuration.

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh I have both ... IPhone and android. To each it's own but to say jelly bean is bad is silly!! Try the note 2 and compare battery!!! I can't wait to upgrade to android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Nothing like a random post about something sucking.. Jb at least for me and my phone is magnificent. Project butter is smooth and options are way better than ics. Yes there could be bugs but factory reset before anything else and start clean. This fixes 90% of problems and go from there.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

itssdanny86

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I prefer GB over ICS on my S2, i have used JB on my friends Nexus 7 and it is a big improvement over ICS....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
U
I'm not as familiar with Apple's deployment methods, so I can't speak too much on that, but with Android, I feel that current OTA method of update deployment, while very user friendly, is an awful way to actually update a device. I would much prefer if there was a method for EVERY update to do a full backup of personal data, then do a full data wipe, then apply update, then restore compatible data. This, while a bit more complicated for the end-user, would probably ensure a much better user experience post-update than just trying to install a major OS upgrade on top of an existing configuration.

Yep, for the first 4 major releases of iOS, they didn't have OTA capability. Users clamored for it, for not having to use iTunes to do their updates, and free them from having to use another computer to apply updates. Apple added it for iOS 5, and people's experiences really varied, you can read the community support threads if you're interested. You can also read about all the people whose battery lives went way down when they applied updates, and how they recovered this (a lot of times this was using a "restore" via iTunes, which, as I said, is essentially a whole re-install *smile*). I was trying to introduce some perspective to this thread to point out that doing a factory reset of an Android phone really isn't that bad for getting your phone back to a consistent state compared to the rest of the world. But experiences do vary, a lot of people got through the iOS updates fine, just as a lot of people got through the JB update just fine. What you read about in the Android (and Apple) community support forums is obviously slanted towards those that had bad experiences, since those are largely the people that come here to talk.

Anyways, I think that the end result is better for most people. I find that JB is, while the changes are subtle in most cases, is an improvement in the GUI interfaces and the operation of my phone. And the update process can be rocky, the JB update seemed okay to me, even though I had to do a factory reset to finish it up. I'm not sure if Samsung suggested the factory reset or not, but it seems like if they had maybe people wouldn't have expected it and planned for it, and not been so upset if they had to do it.