Unbiased, amateur review of the GS3....

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the laughs fellas. Nowhere in my original or subsequent posts did I compare this phone to another. I simply stated what phone I came from and what phone I own now. I clearly touched a nerve, and it is fine to defend your device of choice. Opinions are like a-holes, and there are a few here obviously. On a brighter note, since I updated to JB the battery life seems better, and I was hoping the phone portion of the phone would improve, but alas, I still have to go outside to talk.

Stating what phone you came from shows an obvious ground from which you compared; and if you did not expect that comment to draw the comparisons expected in an S3 forum, then you are the troll (or a-hole, as you so put it). In my line of work, I've had to administer Android, iPhone and BlackBerry devices, and I can tell you lemons come in all shapes and forms. If you have to go outside to make phone calls, either you live in a crappy location for your carrier, or you simply have a lemon device. I honestly couldn't tell you which, but your experience is not normal. Normally I'd offer helpful tips, but at this point, my best advice is to get over yourself if you expected different posting this is such a forum.

I've had the phone for about 3 months now, and here is a quick, unabashed review from my experience. Your mileage may vary.

1) Call quality- sucks. Most of the time I cannot understand the other party when in a call. Sometimes I can catch just enough of a conversation to know what is going on. I usually have to go outside and stand in the "special spot" in the driveway to get good enough signal to use the phone as intended. Fail.

2) Ease of use- I came from an Apple iPhone 4S, so the learning curve was a bit steep, although this wasn't my first Android ordeal. (I had an Incredible a couple years ago). Once I got comfortable with the layout, back button, menu, settings, etc everything was cool. Pass

3)SMS/MMS- good. With all the aftermarket apps in the Play Store the messaging on this phone is top notch. I rarely use the stock app, but the MMS Slideshow crap when one photo is sent to me is kind of goofy, but for the most part they got this part right.

4) Screen- excellent.

5) Camera- so-so. Some pics are great, some suck. Video camera sucks, and cannot seem to stay in focus long enough to finish whatever short clips I am trying to capture.

6) Battery- sucks. I bought an extended battery so I can make it through a day.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought this phone. For being a top of the line phone I sure am disappointed. Maybe if/when Jelly Bean shows up for Verizon it will get better. In the mean time I will be saving up for a HTC DNA.

Overall I give this phone a 4/10.

EDIT= as a matter of coincidence, the JB update is out now, lol.

Thanks for the laughs fellas. Nowhere in my original or subsequent posts did I compare this phone to another. I simply stated what phone I came from and what phone I own now. I clearly touched a nerve, and it is fine to defend your device of choice. Opinions are like a-holes, and there are a few here obviously. On a brighter note, since I updated to JB the battery life seems better, and I was hoping the phone portion of the phone would improve, but alas, I still have to go outside to talk.

Yes, you did.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Stating what phone you came from shows an obvious ground from which you compared; and if you did not expect that comment to draw the comparisons expected in an S3 forum, then you are the troll (or a-hole, as you so put it). In my line of work, I've had to administer Android, iPhone and BlackBerry devices, and I can tell you lemons come in all shapes and forms. If you have to go outside to make phone calls, either you live in a crappy location for your carrier, or you simply have a lemon device. I honestly couldn't tell you which, but your experience is not normal. Normally I'd offer helpful tips, but at this point, my best advice is to get over yourself if you expected different posting this is such a forum.

Yes, you did.

What he said

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Mungus8888

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
When in a marginal reception zone on VZ my particular phone, blows..period. I by no means live in the boonies, have a tower a mile away our less, have garbage reception in the house. Have had it replaced, hours with several layers of tech support with no improvement. Don't get me wrong, the phone is fantastic with everything else.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When in a marginal reception zone on VZ my particular phone, blows..period. I by no means live in the boonies, have a tower a mile away our less, have garbage reception in the house. Have had it replaced, hours with several layers of tech support with no improvement. Don't get me wrong, the phone is fantastic with everything else.

So then How could you rate it a 4 out of 10 if the phone is fantastic in every other area and your only problem is call reception?

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So then How could you rate it a 4 out of 10 if the phone is fantastic in every other area and your only problem is call reception?

I guess you'd have to read the entire thread to understand that ....nowhere.... does he (Mungus8888) rate his phone anything out of 10 :D

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's a sucky review. When someone says the S3 camera is so-so, they instantly lose credibility.

This phone certainly isn't perfect, but when every tech review website gives it "Best of 2012",
Agree. The camera works very well.

Call quality is also great.
Go back to Apple if you think it's so bad.

---
Never had an iphone, and don't want one. Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sure I would've loved a slightly larger battery, and sure it has some quarks, and the camera could be a touch better in low light but thats what I have my Nikon DSLR for. Over all I give this phone a 7.75-8 out of 10.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess you'd have to read the entire thread to understand that ....nowhere.... does he (Mungus8888) rate his phone anything out of 10 :D

So I see!

Sure I would've loved a slightly larger battery, and sure it has some quarks, and the camera could be a touch better in low light but thats what I have my Nikon DSLR for. Over all I give this phone a 7.75-8 out of 10.

This sounds a lil more accurate. Put this post as the original one lol

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

The S3 still outlasts the iPhone 4S...Every chick at the hospital has one, (iPhone4S) and they are always searching for an outlet to plug into. The funniest thing I do is turn on Google Now when they're using Siri as they start asking their question I stick my phone up there and you KNOW which one comes up with the answer first. Google Now is fast as fug.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone for about 3 months now, and here is a quick, unabashed review from my experience. Your mileage may vary.

1) Call quality- sucks. Most of the time I cannot understand the other party when in a call. Sometimes I can catch just enough of a conversation to know what is going on. I usually have to go outside and stand in the "special spot" in the driveway to get good enough signal to use the phone as intended. Fail.

2) Ease of use- I came from an Apple iPhone 4S, so the learning curve was a bit steep, although this wasn't my first Android ordeal. (I had an Incredible a couple years ago). Once I got comfortable with the layout, back button, menu, settings, etc everything was cool. Pass

3)SMS/MMS- good. With all the aftermarket apps in the Play Store the messaging on this phone is top notch. I rarely use the stock app, but the MMS Slideshow crap when one photo is sent to me is kind of goofy, but for the most part they got this part right.

4) Screen- excellent.

5) Camera- so-so. Some pics are great, some suck. Video camera sucks, and cannot seem to stay in focus long enough to finish whatever short clips I am trying to capture.

6) Battery- sucks. I bought an extended battery so I can make it through a day.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought this phone. For being a top of the line phone I sure am disappointed. Maybe if/when Jelly Bean shows up for Verizon it will get better. In the mean time I will be saving up for a HTC DNA.

Overall I give this phone a 4/10.

EDIT= as a matter of coincidence, the JB update is out now, lol.

1. I've had a few glitches (which I think I've isolated to the app Voxer....not 100% though) with call reception (meaning the other person sounds like some weird robot), but I'm pretty sure that started happening after I rooted, and it doesn't happen enough for me to change ROMs either.
2. Migrated over from 3 years of webOS, dabbled a bit with CM7/9 on my TouchPad....totally different experience on a phone imo. 2 weeks to get comfortable with this phone, mostly due to re-training myself on how to operate the phone.
3. stock sms....good enough for me.
4. Screen is great....until you go outside under direct sunlight. I work out of a truck all day long, and am usually wearing polarized sunglasses....it isn't always easy to read the screen.
5. For a phone, it's a pretty slick camera, and works about as good as I'd expect a phone camera to work.
6. Battery....it's ok, seems to have gotten a bit better with Paranoid Android....most of the time I don't care....it's plugged into a power point 95% of the time. I might look into an extended battery at some point....or even that case/battery that's getting made...same company that does those for iPhones.

I'd still buy this phone, even though I dropped it on day 4 and had to replace the glass out of my own pocket. My fault I didn't have insurance or a case at the time. Both corrected now.
Personally I was pretty happy with ICS..JB has a couple of cool new features thrown in here and there.....I know some people out there just LOVE it(JB)...I kinda thought it was a bit of lacklustre update...but that's just me.

This is easily an 8...if not 9 out of 10 for me....I've had 3 different webOS phones (Pre-, Veer, Pre3) and then switched to this one...so I'll agree I might not have much to gauge my ratings by....but so long as I'm happy with it....that's all that matters. :D

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I love when people get called "a-holes" for having differing opinions. Stay classy.

No one in their right mind would put up with a phone that can't make calls indoors. Maybe if you went to get your faulty S3 exchanged instead of posting an "unbiased" review of a lemon, you might not sound so biased. I love this site and i thoroughly enjoy the forums, but eventually you gotta go get your phone replaced instead of just bashing it here.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Mungus9999

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So I see!

This sounds a lil more accurate. Put this post as the original one lol

Sorry about my non rated post. Definitely 8/10. mostly because I hate talking to people,(except my wife) so dropped garbage calls in my house is mostly no big deal..I have replaced the phone within a month of release, Figuring the pre order phone was junk. Not much improvement. I may work with tech support again soon

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about my non rated post. Definitely 8/10. mostly because I hate talking to people,(except my wife) so dropped garbage calls in my house is mostly no big deal..I have replaced the phone within a month of release, Figuring the pre order phone was junk. Not much improvement. I may work with tech support again soon

Cool. Your rating is definitely accurate. My apologies though because I actually mistook you for the original poster so my comment was for the OP. Sorry about that... Happy holidays

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the call quality. But nothing else. The camera is on par with my iPhone and I wouldn't expect better than that. I'm also getting 17 hours battery with my usage. This phone is definitely a solid 8 out of 10 for me.

My major issues have been the freezing issues which finally seem to be gone after 2 complete wipes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Unbiased review, No. Amateur, yes. The following two sentences say a lot about the credibility, credence, and immaturity of the OP:
"But haters gonna hate and fanbois gonna be fanbois."
"Opinions are like a-holes, and there are a few here obviously."
The overuse of the word "Sucks"

With that said, this post does not warrant further attention.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Unbiased review, No. Amateur, yes. The following two sentences say a lot about the credibility, credence, and immaturity of the OP:
"But haters gonna hate and fanbois gonna be fanbois."
"Opinions are like a-holes, and there are a few here obviously."
The overuse of the word "Sucks"

With that said, this post does not warrant further attention.

I also can't say I blame him for his resentment of the way he was received, thus the a-hole comment. If he doesn't like something about the phone, is it your or anyones place to tell him he's wrong? He gave his opinion on the phone. People emotionally invested in a piece of glass and metal got defensive about it, which is typical internet reaction. Are you anything other than an amateur? Not if you don't get paid for your opinions - otherwise you're just another voice in the crowd, no more significant than the OP. Even if you do get paid, you opinion may well be worthless. Read Gizmodo for a good example.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Folks, let's keep the thread focused on discussing the SGSIII. There's no need for the commentary about other members.

Sent from my SGSIII

Last edited:

chadrob30

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
So I tried transferring photos from the phone to my computer via Bluetooth. Fail. Tried emailing the same photos to my computer. Fail. This phone is such a bundle of joy. The BT method shows there are files being transferred, but nothing shows up on the computer. Trying to email them just shows "sending" and nothing ever leaves the POS phone.

Mungus8888

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So I tried transferring photos from the phone to my computer via Bluetooth. Fail. Tried emailing the same photos to my computer. Fail. This phone is such a bundle of joy. The BT method shows there are files being transferred, but nothing shows up on the computer. Trying to email them just shows "sending" and nothing ever leaves the POS phone.

Smooth sailing from my phone to a macbook pro. I think I remember it taking a time or two after pairing, for the photos to transfer easily

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

So you give it 8/10 even though S3 has "dropped garbage" calls at your home? Why such a high rating when it fails in its primary function as a phone?

I have a GS3 and it has the same crappy reception as a phone. I am on the second GS3 and second SIM card. I also have an iPhone 5 and have no phone call reception trouble at home.

Sent from my iPhone 7