Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Default Re: Unbiased, amateur review of the GS3....

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Wow that's a sucky review. When someone says the S3 camera is so-so, they instantly lose credibility.

This phone certainly isn't perfect, but when every tech review website gives it "Best of 2012",
    Agree. The camera works very well.

Call quality is also great.
    Go back to Apple if you think it's so bad.

---
    Never had an iphone, and don't want one. Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Sure I would've loved a slightly larger battery, and sure it has some quarks, and the camera could be a touch better in low light but thats what I have my Nikon DSLR for. Over all I give this phone a 7.75-8 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I guess you'd have to read the entire thread to understand that ....nowhere.... does he (Mungus8888) rate his phone anything out of 10
    So I see!

Quote Originally Posted by zapfrog View Post
    Sure I would've loved a slightly larger battery, and sure it has some quarks, and the camera could be a touch better in low light but thats what I have my Nikon DSLR for. Over all I give this phone a 7.75-8 out of 10.
    This sounds a lil more accurate. Put this post as the original one lol

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

The S3 still outlasts the iPhone 4S...Every chick at the hospital has one, (iPhone4S) and they are always searching for an outlet to plug into. The funniest thing I do is turn on Google Now when they're using Siri as they start asking their question I stick my phone up there and you KNOW which one comes up with the answer first. Google Now is fast as fug.

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Quote Originally Posted by chadrob30 View Post
    I've had the phone for about 3 months now, and here is a quick, unabashed review from my experience. Your mileage may vary.

1) Call quality- sucks. Most of the time I cannot understand the other party when in a call. Sometimes I can catch just enough of a conversation to know what is going on. I usually have to go outside and stand in the "special spot" in the driveway to get good enough signal to use the phone as intended. Fail.

2) Ease of use- I came from an Apple iPhone 4S, so the learning curve was a bit steep, although this wasn't my first Android ordeal. (I had an Incredible a couple years ago). Once I got comfortable with the layout, back button, menu, settings, etc everything was cool. Pass

3)SMS/MMS- good. With all the aftermarket apps in the Play Store the messaging on this phone is top notch. I rarely use the stock app, but the MMS Slideshow crap when one photo is sent to me is kind of goofy, but for the most part they got this part right.

4) Screen- excellent.

5) Camera- so-so. Some pics are great, some suck. Video camera sucks, and cannot seem to stay in focus long enough to finish whatever short clips I am trying to capture.

6) Battery- sucks. I bought an extended battery so I can make it through a day.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought this phone. For being a top of the line phone I sure am disappointed. Maybe if/when Jelly Bean shows up for Verizon it will get better. In the mean time I will be saving up for a HTC DNA.

Overall I give this phone a 4/10.

EDIT= as a matter of coincidence, the JB update is out now, lol.
    1. I've had a few glitches (which I think I've isolated to the app Voxer....not 100% though) with call reception (meaning the other person sounds like some weird robot), but I'm pretty sure that started happening after I rooted, and it doesn't happen enough for me to change ROMs either.
    2. Migrated over from 3 years of webOS, dabbled a bit with CM7/9 on my TouchPad....totally different experience on a phone imo. 2 weeks to get comfortable with this phone, mostly due to re-training myself on how to operate the phone.
    3. stock sms....good enough for me.
    4. Screen is great....until you go outside under direct sunlight. I work out of a truck all day long, and am usually wearing polarized sunglasses....it isn't always easy to read the screen.
    5. For a phone, it's a pretty slick camera, and works about as good as I'd expect a phone camera to work.
    6. Battery....it's ok, seems to have gotten a bit better with Paranoid Android....most of the time I don't care....it's plugged into a power point 95% of the time. I might look into an extended battery at some point....or even that case/battery that's getting made...same company that does those for iPhones.

I'd still buy this phone, even though I dropped it on day 4 and had to replace the glass out of my own pocket. My fault I didn't have insurance or a case at the time. Both corrected now.
    Personally I was pretty happy with ICS..JB has a couple of cool new features thrown in here and there.....I know some people out there just LOVE it(JB)...I kinda thought it was a bit of lacklustre update...but that's just me.

This is easily an 8...if not 9 out of 10 for me....I've had 3 different webOS phones (Pre-, Veer, Pre3) and then switched to this one...so I'll agree I might not have much to gauge my ratings by....but so long as I'm happy with it....that's all that matters.

I love when people get called "a-holes" for having differing opinions. Stay classy.

No one in their right mind would put up with a phone that can't make calls indoors. Maybe if you went to get your faulty S3 exchanged instead of posting an "unbiased" review of a lemon, you might not sound so biased. I love this site and i thoroughly enjoy the forums, but eventually you gotta go get your phone replaced instead of just bashing it here.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    GC736 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    So I see!

This sounds a lil more accurate. Put this post as the original one lol

Sorry about my non rated post. Definitely 8/10. mostly because I hate talking to people,(except my wife) so dropped garbage calls in my house is mostly no big deal..I have replaced the phone within a month of release, Figuring the pre order phone was junk. Not much improvement. I may work with tech support again soon

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mungus9999 View Post
    Sorry about my non rated post. Definitely 8/10. mostly because I hate talking to people,(except my wife) so dropped garbage calls in my house is mostly no big deal..I have replaced the phone within a month of release, Figuring the pre order phone was junk. Not much improvement. I may work with tech support again soon

Cool. Your rating is definitely accurate. My apologies though because I actually mistook you for the original poster so my comment was for the OP. Sorry about that... Happy holidays

I agree with the call quality. But nothing else. The camera is on par with my iPhone and I wouldn't expect better than that. I'm also getting 17 hours battery with my usage. This phone is definitely a solid 8 out of 10 for me.

My major issues have been the freezing issues which finally seem to be gone after 2 complete wipes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Unbiased review, No. Amateur, yes. The following two sentences say a lot about the credibility, credence, and immaturity of the OP:
    "But haters gonna hate and fanbois gonna be fanbois."
    "Opinions are like a-holes, and there are a few here obviously."
    The overuse of the word "Sucks"

With that said, this post does not warrant further attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    Unbiased review, No. Amateur, yes. The following two sentences say a lot about the credibility, credence, and immaturity of the OP:
    "But haters gonna hate and fanbois gonna be fanbois."
    "Opinions are like a-holes, and there are a few here obviously."
    The overuse of the word "Sucks"

With that said, this post does not warrant further attention.
    I also can't say I blame him for his resentment of the way he was received, thus the a-hole comment. If he doesn't like something about the phone, is it your or anyones place to tell him he's wrong? He gave his opinion on the phone. People emotionally invested in a piece of glass and metal got defensive about it, which is typical internet reaction. Are you anything other than an amateur? Not if you don't get paid for your opinions - otherwise you're just another voice in the crowd, no more significant than the OP. Even if you do get paid, you opinion may well be worthless. Read Gizmodo for a good example.
    chadrob30 likes this.

Global Posts
    11,762 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Folks, let's keep the thread focused on discussing the SGSIII. There's no need for the commentary about other members.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 12-22-2012 at 08:10 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

So I tried transferring photos from the phone to my computer via Bluetooth. Fail. Tried emailing the same photos to my computer. Fail. This phone is such a bundle of joy. The BT method shows there are files being transferred, but nothing shows up on the computer. Trying to email them just shows "sending" and nothing ever leaves the POS phone.

So I tried transferring photos from the phone to my computer via Bluetooth. Fail. Tried emailing the same photos to my computer. Fail. This phone is such a bundle of joy. The BT method shows there are files being transferred, but nothing shows up on the computer. Trying to email them just shows "sending" and nothing ever leaves the POS phone.
    Smooth sailing from my phone to a macbook pro. I think I remember it taking a time or two after pairing, for the photos to transfer easily

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Default Unbiased, amateur review of the GS3....

Quote Originally Posted by Mungus9999 View Post

So you give it 8/10 even though S3 has "dropped garbage" calls at your home? Why such a high rating when it fails in its primary function as a phone?

I have a GS3 and it has the same crappy reception as a phone. I am on the second GS3 and second SIM card. I also have an iPhone 5 and have no phone call reception trouble at home.

Sent from my iPhone 7
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    So you give it 8/10 even though S3 has "dropped garbage" calls at your home? Why such a high rating when it fails in its primary function as a phone?

I have a GS3 and it has the same crappy reception as a phone. I am on the second GS3 and second SIM card. I also have an iPhone 5 and have no phone call reception trouble at home.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    Funny you should mention that. I am also on my second SG3 and second SIM card. First phone would not boot up after a week. Got a replacement (current phone) and have all these issues. SIM card crapped out on me but Verizon gave me a new one, but this phone is still for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I also can't say I blame him for his resentment of the way he was received, thus the a-hole comment. If he doesn't like something about the phone, is it your or anyones place to tell him he's wrong? He gave his opinion on the phone. People emotionally invested in a piece of glass and metal got defensive about it, which is typical internet reaction. Are you anything other than an amateur? Not if you don't get paid for your opinions - otherwise you're just another voice in the crowd, no more significant than the OP. Even if you do get paid, you opinion may well be worthless. Read Gizmodo for a good example.
    Welcome to the Internet. Opinions are shared. He shared his, we shared ours. Who cares if he or you enjoyed the responses? I love reading other people's opinions, as long as they're willing to hear the responses. Then you jump in as the self proclaimed OP bodyguard and make fun of us for taking things personal. I'm confused at your angle and purpose.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

At this point it's no surprise you couldn't figure that out. Once you start being so negative, you look and find problems. I could TRASH any device on the market if I wanted to. Then I could blame the phone for sucking.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    11,762 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

This thread needs to stay on topic. There's no need for the commentary directed at other members. This is the second time that I've had to say this in the thread.

If you have a problem with a post, please hit the report button.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 12-25-2012 at 06:08 PM.

I do wonder if the "poor call reception" is the fault of Verizon rather than the phone. I previously had a Droid X and the S3 blows that phone away with call reception. I have to say that my 4G signal is not good here in the house but that has no effect on call reception anyway.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I haven't seen it. I had great reception when I was with verizon.

Sent from my PMID1000B using Android Central Forums

Your 4G connection strength has nothing to docwith call quality since voice is still on the 3G network.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think the reception issues I'm having is most likely a combination of both phone antenna and LTE . I have no scientific data, but my HTC incredible, only 3g , had no problems with signal in my house( which happens to be a solid log home) the wife's iphone 4gs, also has a solid signal. My phone signal strength anywhere else is fantastic. This phone has so many great features, what other phone is even close to it? Nothing at the present moment. That being said, if something caught my eye down the road, who knows. Therefore , 8/10 rated

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yeah, no problems with transferring photos, files, etc. No call problems, etc on the other hand our iphones dropped calls all the time.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I've owned a storm, OG Droid, Charge and Thunderbolt... and the level of improvement increased with each... bt none of them can come close to this phone for performance or Roms.

This thing does absolutely everything I need it to do, quickly and well, with no lag.

The pictures/videos might not be professional grade, but I don't need them to be. They're exceptionally good for home use.

The GPS was a nightmare on the Charge and not much better with my TBolt: this thing locks in a few seconds.

The reception has always been great for me... and I really can't wait for the next generation to come out.

Absolutely exceptional in the ways I need it to be, I'd buy it again, today, particularly as the upgrade ($179) I paid for it... even though I lost out on my grandfathered data plan, since I'd been averaging a half gig per month anyway.
    ☆ ★ | ROM | [JellyBean][4.3] BeanStalk Build 4.3.1001 - [04 OCT] |★ ☆

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast