Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default can I count on VZW to release Key Lime Pie OTA update a few months after Google releases it?

can I count on VZW to release Key Lime Pie OTA update a few months after Google releases it?
    or is this a fantasy? (based on VZW's past actions on updating Android smartphones)

VZW is slow, but usually update at least once. For example, if you phone has GB, then you get ICS.
    If you phone has ICS, then you get JB. However, if you phone started with GB, you shouldn't expect
    JB, ever. In the case of the VZW Galaxy S3, then the recent ICS to JB update is the last "major"
    one and no update to KLP. (sounds crazy? but that's what a Verzion corporate store manager told
    me)

Default Re: can I count on VZW to release Key Lime Pie OTA update a few months after Google releases it?

Depends on your definition of "a few" - if it's 6, yeah there's a chance though if you're expecting 3, then probably not.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Default Re: can I count on VZW to release Key Lime Pie OTA update a few months after Google releases it?

Still some issues with key lime pie, as noted in the forums. As long as they exist, most carriers will hold off on updating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM10 M1

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    can I count on VZW to release Key Lime Pie OTA update a few months after Google releases it?
    or is this a fantasy? (based on VZW's past actions on updating Android smartphones)

VZW is slow, but usually update at least once. For example, if you phone has GB, then you get ICS.
    If you phone has ICS, then you get JB. However, if you phone started with GB, you shouldn't expect
    JB, ever. In the case of the VZW Galaxy S3, then the recent ICS to JB update is the last "major"
    one and no update to KLP. (sounds crazy? but that's what a Verzion corporate store manager told
    me)
    it will get it but it will take forever probably...better off putting a ROM on when bit comes out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

No. Verizon is not exactly quick to release updates.

The S3 just received 4.1 OTA, it will likely be at least 4-6 months before they release 4.2. The odds of Verizon releasing key lime pie for the S3 are slim (imo), but who really knows.

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Unless you have a Nexus device, you can't count on any OEM or carrier.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I think that Verizon and the other carriers are more interested in selling you a new phone with the newest software and drag their feet on major software upgrades for older phones when there is already a new model of phone out or in development. Just ask a Droid Bionic owner.

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

The only thing you can count on VZW to do is increase their bottom line. Anything else is coincidental.

ROM
    Viper

3-6 months AFTER Samsung creates it. That is IF Samsung creates it.

So Google releases update to android. 3-6 months later Samsung gets around to releasing something with touchwiz and carrier bloat on it. 3-6 months after that, Verizon will release it to you...

You get the picture

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired