- 714 Posts
Verizon wifi hotspot after JB update
Anyone else who used to use FoxFi for wifi tethering/hotspot notice that now, when you try to start FoxFi up (after you tell it to start the hotspot) the Verizon wifi hotspot app "takes over" and runs the hotspot for you?
At first I didn't quite get what I was looking at, but it definitely "stole" the settings i put into FoxFi (SSID and wep key), started the hotspot on its own, and ran like a charm. I am on an unlimited plan so I thought that hotspot via the verizon app would still cost $20/mo but it appears that it is now free for all... Anyone else notice this? I am not rooted (but i do have an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery). I did this yesterday and checked my verizon account today and there are no changes to it so I don't think they did something sneaky like automatically add the hotspot fee, but who knows.
- 12-22-2012, 10:13 PM #2
- 12-22-2012, 10:56 PM #3
- 12-24-2012, 12:01 AM #4
Re: Verizon wifi hotspot after JB update
This is the same thing that happens with the galaxy nexus with jellybean. I've been using foxfi on my nexus this way since jellybean and have had no extra charges on my plan. I know I have a nexus but it sounds like it works the same way with the gs3
- By justravis in forum AT&T ATRIX 2 Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 0Last Post: 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
- By DRHamp in forum HTC EVO View 4GReplies: 0Last Post: 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM
- By AeroEngi in forum Droid RAZRReplies: 4Last Post: 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM
- By gill.batez in forum AT&T ATRIXReplies: 2Last Post: 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
- By fi150l in forum Motorola X Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 3Last Post: 06-02-2011, 04:34 PM