1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon wifi hotspot after JB update

Anyone else who used to use FoxFi for wifi tethering/hotspot notice that now, when you try to start FoxFi up (after you tell it to start the hotspot) the Verizon wifi hotspot app "takes over" and runs the hotspot for you?

At first I didn't quite get what I was looking at, but it definitely "stole" the settings i put into FoxFi (SSID and wep key), started the hotspot on its own, and ran like a charm. I am on an unlimited plan so I thought that hotspot via the verizon app would still cost $20/mo but it appears that it is now free for all... Anyone else notice this? I am not rooted (but i do have an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery). I did this yesterday and checked my verizon account today and there are no changes to it so I don't think they did something sneaky like automatically add the hotspot fee, but who knows.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Verizon wifi hotspot after JB update

Thanks for the heads up. I'd like to try this; I'm on an unlimited plan too, but worried that I may get charges.

Global Posts
    2,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

If you are on unlimited, you should be very careful about using the verizon hot spot unless you don't mind getting charged. It's only included with the new share plans.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

This is the same thing that happens with the galaxy nexus with jellybean. I've been using foxfi on my nexus this way since jellybean and have had no extra charges on my plan. I know I have a nexus but it sounds like it works the same way with the gs3