1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default JB battery sucks, I want ICS back.

Is anyone disappointed with the horrible battery life after getting the JB update? Ive heard nothing but complaints with my friends on their decreased battery life with their phones too. Ive turned everything off (gps, google search, etc) now and still no success.

Is there anyway to get Ice Cream Sandwich back? Im guessing i'll have to root my phone.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: JB battery sucks, I want ICS back.

No problem with battery life for me. For me it's still about the same as with ICS.

It's not JB. It's VZW and their garbage.

You know the answer to better battery life and better performance. It's unlock, root, and rom. Then pick a good kernel and all your problems will be a memory . . . at least the problems you seem to have with your phone.

No problem here. Seems about the same as ICS.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I'm having the same issues. Love JB and so many of it's enhancements, but the battery is dead after a few hours of just average usage.

Their backup cloud crap is always running on my phone, no way of stopping it. Thats what causing my battery drainage, although mines not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by rvhighway View Post
    It's not JB. It's VZW and their garbage.

You know the answer to better battery life and better performance. It's unlock, root, and rom. Then pick a good kernel and all your problems will be a memory . . . at least the problems you seem to have with your phone.
    The unfortunate truth (at least for those who for whatever reason don't want to root).

Seriously, it's not JB, or even the Samsung software -- there's either something wrong with the OTA update process itself, or the Verizon bloat. Running CleanROM (which is built directly off of the same software and using the stock kernel), and battery life is simply amazing.

If you really don't want to root, at the very least I'd do a factory reset to see if that makes things any better.

Regardless of what you do, just remember to always opt out of any Verizon services during the initial setup wizard.

Actually, I have oustandingly BETTER battery life since updating to JB. At 10:30pm last night... I was at 100%.. took off charger. Normal notifications, etc, throughout the night. At 8:30am this morning, I was at 95%. With ICS... I was normally at around 70% after a night of just sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberchief View Post
    Actually, I have oustandingly BETTER battery life since updating to JB. At 10:30pm last night... I was at 100%.. took off charger. Normal notifications, etc, throughout the night. At 8:30am this morning, I was at 95%. With ICS... I was normally at around 70% after a night of just sitting.
    Which is why I believe some folks with issues would benefit from doing a factory reset... I don't believe the update itself is faulty.

my battery doing almostnothing but sitting on a table droppedc 13% in 2 hours wierd this started christmas eve 5 days afterJB installed on device
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks for your responses. I once rooted my original moto droid a few years ago but can someone post step by step instructions for someone that is totally not comfortable with rooting their phone?
    I'm either rooting or at least trying a factory reset.

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Factory reset the phone then go here:

You'll end up rooted with a custom recovery running stock software.

You can also install a custom ROM after following the above procedure. This one comes to mind:

I left my phone diacharging with all apps closed over night and it went from 65 to 40%. I dont understand how that is possible. Its even on wifi. It also takes forever to charge.

I have a completely stock phone running the official OTA JB update and my battery life is just as good as before running ICS. To those who are having battery problems take a look at your battery graph. Go to Settings>Battery then you will see a little graph just below where it will show your "% Discharging" tap the graph and it will open up a more detailed graph with more information below it. Then take a look at the part that tells you how much time your phone has been awake. My guess is that your phone is either awake all the time or its hardly ever falling asleep. If you want to take a screen shot of the graph screen with the awake, Mobile Network Signal, Wi-Fi, Screen on, Charging details listed below. And we can take a look.

After we determine if its wakelocks causing your battery to drain we can go from there.

Post the screen shots or let us know and I can give you information on where to go from there to fix your battery life. I did it with mine, I used to be having the same problems as you.

Matt Nethery

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nDroid3 View Post
    I left my phone diacharging with all apps closed over night and it went from 65 to 40%. I dont understand how that is possible. Its even on wifi. It also takes forever to charge.
    25% drop in 7-8?? hours. That is 28 to 32 hours of total battery life. Not awesome, but surely not a problem with a radio connected to a cell tower or two plus a WiFi radio on.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

My battery life was bad after updating as well so I did a hard reset and it's been fine since. I also left off some of the apps that I hardly ever used as well as sticking to touchwiz instead of a launcher. Not sure what changed, but my battery life is great again.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Stock not rooted, Bluetooth and GPS on

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JB battery sucks,  I want ICS back.-uploadfromtaptalk1357063936276.jpg   JB battery sucks,  I want ICS back.-uploadfromtaptalk1357063945803.jpg  
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Today, my battery actually is doing well. I've been on it with my usual usage and its at 70% where as it is at 40% around this time and it did charge pretty fast last night. Things are looking up