Samsung galaxy global roaming

kes2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
HELP!!!!!! IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP! dumb blonde who knows NOTHING about anything tech :(
Downloaded the JB update on my Verizon Samsun Galaxy S3.
Update promises global capability. perfect!
Will my phone work abroad or do I need to purchase a local SIM card?
Will the new GSM capability work with my normal SIM card? Or will I not have coverage abroad because my current SIM is not compatible?
Please please please HELP!
Your aid is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Galaxy S3 'world phone' coming. But when? | Common Sense Tech - CNET News
By the look of that article there, I believe the JB update that was rolled out to our Verizon phones contained the software update to allow global roaming.

I found this post written by someone else in another forum around the web. The guy/girl that posted it seems to know what hes talking about I will post what he said in response to a thread very similar to yours:

I've been googling around trying to find out whether or not the Galaxy S3 supports GSM and UMTS/HSPA+ and from what I've found it appears that Intocable is correct that this phone only supports GSM with EDGE data. This essentially means that you'll get 2G data speeds internationally (unless you have a WiFi connection) because it doesn't support UMTS/HSPA+ which is required for international 3G data and the 4G LTE frequency supported by this phone is only used in the U.S. For those who don't know UMTS/HSPA+ is the 3G technology used by GSM carriers internationally (and used by AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S.) which is different from the CDMA/EV-DO 3G technology used by Verizon and Sprint.

Verizon should provide more details on their Global Phone page about which phones support 3G data internationally because this page is misleading. This Global Phone page says the Verizon Galaxy S3 (model SCH-I535) is "Data Capable in over 205 countries, more than 165 with 3G speeds" which is the same as the Motorola Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD and that's not correct. The Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD support UMTS/HSPA on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz which is required to for 3G speeds in 165 countries but the Verizon Galaxy S3 does not. Only the international Galaxy S3 (model GT-I9300) supports UMTS/HSPA+ on frequencies 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz. Verizon Wireless Customer Support should really correct the Global Phone page to accurately reflect the capabilities of the Verizon version of the Galaxy S3.

Hope this helps!

I have no first hand knowledge of using this device abroad.... Sadly I haven't left the great state of Kentucky in over a year! I need more money to go see the world. Donations would be grateful PM me for where to send the money.

MAtt Nethery

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
HELP!!!!!! IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP! dumb blonde who knows NOTHING about anything tech :(
Downloaded the JB update on my Verizon Samsun Galaxy S3.
Update promises global capability. perfect!

Will my phone work abroad or do I need to purchase a local SIM card?

For you to be able to get service in another country, you are going to have to purchase or somehow get a SIM card from one of the countries wireless cell phone carriers

Will the new GSM capability work with my normal SIM card? Or will I not have coverage abroad because my current SIM is not compatible?

If you're talking about the Verizon SIM that's in your phone right now, no. Verizon sim card is meant to handle a different type of network (called CDMA) only used in America where other SIM cards from other countries handle GSM networks :)

P.S. Before you leave, remember to set your phone to global mode by going to the settings app, go to the tab that says "More Settings" "Wireless and Networks" after that go to "Mobile Networks" and make sure that the setting called network mode is set to global :)

Have fun on your trip!

Please please please HELP!
Your aid is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

kes2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So my device is good to go abroad? No messy SIM cards or such?
I can travel overseas and my phone will work?
gah this is driving me crazy!

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes the galaxy s3 is a full world phone with hspa+, 3g, and edge radios so it will work with the Verizon SIM. Local Sims usually offer cheaper rates but it will be a different phone number.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes the galaxy s3 is a full world phone with hspa+, 3g, and edge radios so it will work with the Verizon SIM. Local Sims usually offer cheaper rates but it will be a different phone number.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Meaning that the phone will work normally, but charge you ~$2 a minute for calls (you can call Verizon for certain global packages/deals but it's still expensive) and you'll need a small fortune to afford data. I traveled before the update so basically only used it for WiFi, but did some of the research. It seems like your best bet is to keep the phone bit on for emergencies (provided you don't get a lot of regular calls that will eat up minutes/$) and reserve data usage for WiFi. Unless you're filthy rich, in which case I'd like to come with you.. If you're hoping to use it to keep track of your group (texts 'hey, I just stepped around the corner to the store for a bottle of water, don't leave without me!') you might look into one of the small data packages Verizon offers or probably the best bet is to look into buying a foreign sim with a data plan. It'll be a different number but it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper to use and it's only temporary after all.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Exactly right. Verizon will bleed you dry for overseas usage. My daughter spent a year in Hungary - she just bought a disposable phone there and some credit with Skype. It turned out dirt cheap to talk to her as much as we wanted, and free if we waited for her to be in her apartment for computer to computer skype. But she was able to text and call as normal. She would have been able to use her global Verizon phone, but I'd be typing this in my air conditioned refrigerator box right now if she had.

kes2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my first time on the forum, and I was amazed by how pleasant you all were. thank you for your help!
for future globe-trotting sgs3 users, you NEED to call verizon before leaving the country so they can approve international dialing for your phone. Not sure why...but remember to do this

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am out of the country quite a bit and will be going back over soon.

When you change it to global you will get a Welcome text from the country you have arrived in when you first turn your phone on. You will also notice by default on your lock screen two times(your homes time and the current time(roaming))

You also might get prompted about turning data on or off..I turned it off because that would be $$$$

I had no problems sending txt nor calling out. I too did this with phone info before the JB upgrade.

Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

This is my first time on the forum, and I was amazed by how pleasant you all were. thank you for your help!
for future globe-trotting sgs3 users, you NEED to call verizon before leaving the country so they can approve international dialing for your phone. Not sure why...but remember to do this

I never did this and it worked..

kes2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
When you travel abroad do you switch out the Verizon SIM card for a local provider?
Have you ever?
Will my Verizon SIM work abroad?
And lastly did you travel abroad after the JB update?

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes
No
Yes, but you'll be in for unbelievably exorbitant charges for both data and voice.

Your call.

kes2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I will not be trading out SIM cards...just using the phone for emergency purposes abroad
So bottom line: My VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXT S3 will work abroad?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You may also want to look into wifi calling apps. Vonage, for example, has one and there are many others. Then you don't pay anything for calls at all (unless you are charged for wifi access.

Harry Lin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I used it with Singtel in Singapore . I have the 3G but no data, you have to root the phone in order to get the data working. I am at Thailand right now and use the dtac prepaid phone , it's only on edge.

For some reason it doesn't allow me to add the apn. I have another galaxy s3 rooted and everything's working including data.

- - - Updated - - -

I used it with Singtel in Singapore . I have the 3G but no data, you have to root the phone in order to get the data working. I am at Thailand right now and use the dtac prepaid phone , it's only on edge.

For some reason it doesn't allow me to add the apn. I have another galaxy s3 rooted and everything's working including data.

Meli Flickinger

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I just arrived in Peru yesterday thinking my phone was going to work... It didn't until I updated to the latest software. Then you have to go into "Mobile Networks" and click "global" under Preferred Network Mode. It should work then, but only if you let Verizon know that you're going to be overseas. Otherwise sometimes it won't work (its happened to me before too).
No extra sim is necessary, just make sure your phone is in Global mode.

Bigburma

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I updated to JB and upon landing in China, swapped out Verizon SIM for China Mobile SIM and it worked like a charm and at about 1% the cost of Verizon International rates. You only get 2G with data and you get a new phone number while in China, but not a problem for me. Only keep the Verizon SIM while abroad if you like very high phone bills....

dropdeadbryan

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey please help me out!!! I just have the same problem, I'm from Lima-Peru and my aunt gave me away the S3 samsung galaxy and it belongs to the Verizon company, I can't surf the net with 3g either 2g, I don't know what to do! it's driving me crazy! T_T my email is dropdeadbryan@hotmail.com..... It was just a matter of luck that I came across with your quote, thanks in advance! :(