Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gabbott
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Interesting post-JB thing (WiFi and battery usage)

Just found out that they moved the WiFi settings when I was looking for when my WiFi was connected during sleep after the Jelly Bean update. Found that setting under "Settings" -> "WiFi" then press settings button on bottom left of phone and go to "Advanced". I found that the setting "Keep WiFi on during sleep" on my phone had reverted to "Always", when my original setting (and the one that I wanted) was "Only when plugged in". So I changed the setting back to "Only when plugged in", which helps with battery life.

Don't know if this helps anyone else, but I was a little suspicious since I hadn't been seeing the "connected to WiFi" messages when I woke up my unplugged phone *smile*.

Default Re: Interesting post-JB thing (WiFi and battery usage)

Having it set to Always is way better on battery life for me with my phones. If you set to to only when plugged in, then your phone will use the cell radios for data when sleeping/not plugged in which are generally more power hungry. Unless in your case you disable them.

There is a reason stock android defaults that to always
    nolittdroid likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Interesting post-JB thing (WiFi and battery usage)

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Having it set to Always is way better on battery life for me with my phones. If you set to to only when plugged in, then your phone will use the cell radios for data when sleeping/not plugged in which are generally more power hungry. Unless in your case you disable them.

There is a reason stock android defaults that to always
    Yes, I have my "mobile data" turned off when I'm at home. Always. Don't want to be using "mobile data" unless I'm mobile, I'm on a limited data plan. Helps to prevent me from making expensive mistakes *smile*.