1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What's the best way to tether VZW Galaxy S3 to a lapt that only has wired ethernet jack?(no USB)

What's the best way to tether VZW Galaxy S3 to a lapt that only has wired ethernet jack?
    (it does NOT have USB port, bluetooth, or wireless capability... because it's not a commercially-
    available laptop)

Thanks!

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

Default Re: What's the best way to tether VZW Galaxy S3 to a lapt that only has wired ethernet jack?(no USB)

I don't think that's possible. The laptop needs to have wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

Default Re: What's the best way to tether VZW Galaxy S3 to a lapt that only has wired ethernet jack?(no USB)

If you don't mind carrying around some extra hardware you could look for like a wireless bridge unit... Not sure of any model numbers or info since it's been a while since I've needed one... You'll probably need to plug the bridge in to mains power and get an ethernet cord for between the laptop and the bridge but other than that it should work just fine.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, your only option is a wireless bridge which will let you get a wifi signal using your ethernet port.

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Is the laptop ethernet wired to a wireless router? As in, is the laptop connected to the internet?

If not, you could get a simple WiFi router and plug it in. Then connect the S3 to that WiFi. Then use Airdroid or such to transfer files.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Maybe: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Adapter
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/
    SparksGuy
    I! I! Cthulhu fhtagn!
    GEEK CODE BLOCK available on request.

Quote Originally Posted by SparksGuy View Post
    Maybe: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Adapter
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/
    That does the opposite of what he needs. He already has an ethernet port but no USB port.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    That does the opposite of what he needs. He already has an ethernet port but no USB port.
    Dang, just like me to get it BACKWARDS. Sorry.
    SparksGuy

Global Posts
    2,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Yep, you just need a wireless ethernet bridge. Several good options out there, just search around. Some of them support Power Over Ethernet, so you won't need to plug into an outlet. It will just take power from the ethernet port on your notebook.