SD Card Issue

daspaz411

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So all the media on my SD Card has disappeared! I realized it happened after I transferred some files using Android File Transfer. The first letter of each folder that I had on the SD card has been changed to a "μ" and there is nothing in those folders. So for the DCIM folder, it says "μCIM". Does anyone know how to fix this? I lost 700+ pictures.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Has much the same happen to me -- twice! There really is no way to "fix" it and you may not be able to recover any of the data.

I had two SD cards "fried" by two SGS3s and in one case, I was able to recover a few files using RecoverMyFiles -- which you can download, install on a PC, and run for free -- to see what it can find. You have to buy a license to actually recover the files. Other folks have used Recuva -- with some success.

However ... that said ... on the second card, I was able to recover NOTHING -- and I tried other data recovery apps, as well.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's highly unlikely that it's a counterfeit SDCard.
There seems to be some unexplainable issue with Samsung Galaxy S IIIs ruining SDCards; it may have something to do with how they're formatted, or the file system type (FAT32 vs. Ext), but there's enough complaints to suggest that it isn't user error or a bad batch of SDCards.
About all you can do is try reformatting the card in your phone and see what happens. If the card is totally unusable (like my 64GB was after trying to encrypt it) your only option is to return it to the manufacturer (hopefully you bought a brand name like SanDisk).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
This happened with me also. Would be a counterfeit SD ?

No one has ever explained to me what a "counterfeit SD card" is ... so I doubt it. I've had this happen twice to me, two different phones (same brand -SGS3), two different SD cards (different brands), and both SD cards were from well-known manufacturers.

Some SD cards get trashed ... that's the way it is. I've changed over to a Samsung SD card, in my THIRD SGS3 phone, and that one is working OK.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No one has ever explained to me what a "counterfeit SD card" is ... so I doubt it. I've had this happen twice to me, two different phones (same brand -SGS3), two different SD cards (different brands), and both SD cards were from well-known manufacturers.

Some SD cards get trashed ... that's the way it is. I've changed over to a Samsung SD card, in my THIRD SGS3 phone, and that one is working OK.

You should test every sd card you get. A counterfeit SD card is for example a Sandisk card that was made by someone other than Sandisk, and didn't meet Sandisk quality. It could also be a real 2gb card hacked to show 32gb. Every card you get should be tested using the test below. I also would not recommend buying on ebay or whatever, only from large stores like amazon (make sure it says sold by amazon, and not some third party)

https://sites.google.com/a/intelligentplant.com/fakesdcards/

http://mympx.org/Downloads/p13_sectionid/2/p13_fileid/13

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

hommyg15

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey Man, This is a really late response to your original post, but I just ran into the same problems and found a perfect fix to the issue, well at least for myself. I thought I would share my experience to help you and maybe others in the future. I ran into the same problem, my phone locked up and all the files on my micro sd card were re named to "μCIM". Something must have corrupt it and messed up the files. I'm not sure exactly what messed up the files but I did figure out how to fix it. The folders may seem empty and your files may seem gone, but they are not. My phone somehow took all my photos and files and moved them into a folder called "LOST.DIR". When the files got moved they also lost their extensions and turned into un recognisable files. This was really time consuming but I changed each file into ".jpeg" and the files were now recognizable and back to normal. ex. "8378378" I changed to "8378378.jpeg". I also had a couple videos which I got to work by changing the extension to ".mp4". By doing this I was able to save every picture and video I had stored on my micro sd card for my phone which became messed up with "μ". I hope this helps. Later

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
sorry, its say unable to rename..
Sorry, you're going to have to be more specific - what problem are you having?
Do you have the ability to remove the SD card and check it on your computer?
If you connect your phone to a computer do you see your files?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user