question about tethering and data usage

Mason Kirkpatrick

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
When tethered to my desktop pc and my galaxy S3 is connected to my home wifi will I use my verizon data or will it continue to feed off of my home connection and not charge me

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Why are you tethering it to your desktop if you have home internet? Either way, as long as WiFi is turned on (you have the WiFi symbol and not the 3G or 4G symbol) on the phone, you will not be using Verizon's data.

Mason Kirkpatrick

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I am tethering because my pc is in my basement and my modem and router are upstairs and I do not have the extra money for a desktop wireless adapter, thanks for the help you helped more than verizon customer support could

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Kind of a strange situation, but I believe bjboucher to be correct. If using mobile hotspot, I know that it can only use mobile data, but I've never tried with a wired tether.

If you want to be completely sure, you could mobile data off on your phone and see if Internet still works on your PC...because then it would have to be using WIFI.

Mason Kirkpatrick

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I turned off my mobile data and I still have a connection I also downloaded a large file while tethered to see if it would use data and it has not so thank you both for the insight

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can buy a usb wifi adapter for $20 at tigerdirect.com or some other retailer. Easy set up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Kind of a strange situation, but I believe bjboucher to be correct. If using mobile hotspot, I know that it can only use mobile data, but I've never tried with a wired tether.

If you want to be completely sure, you could mobile data off on your phone and see if Internet still works on your PC...because then it would have to be using WIFI.

Yeah, never would've thought to use my cellphone as a WiFi adapter! lol Guess if it works, go for it!