Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD Cards. What class and from whom to buy them?

So I want more space, basically only for music on my S3. Do classes, then, really matter? If so, then what class should I look for? And lastly, who do I buy the sd card from? (ie. samsung because that's the brand of phone, maybe theyre more compatible? or sandisk? or what?)

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: SD Cards. What class and from whom to buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Rodriguez5 View Post
    So I want more space, basically only for music on my S3. Do classes, then, really matter? If so, then what class should I look for? And lastly, who do I buy the sd card from? (ie. samsung because that's the brand of phone, maybe theyre more compatible? or sandisk? or what?)
    For playing music i would just get a class 4. I use sandisk that i get from bestbuy
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:

Amazon.com is a good place, too. Good products and prices. Got a 32GB. SanDisk (class 4) that's working great for about $21.50.
    Thanked by:

A Class 2 SD card is supposed to be guaranteed to read and write at a speed at least as high as 16 Mbps. The highest quality MP3 files you can get from Google are about 1/50 that size. A completely uncompressed CD rip has a data rate of about 1/12 that much. Finally, a full, high resolution, uncompressed DVD-audio rip playing at 24bit/96hz has a data rate that is about 1/4 of that speed.

Basically, even the slowest Class 2 card has more than enough bandwidth to play any type of audio stream you want. A faster class will really only show up when you are copying audio files to the card.

Get a quality brand name though, as not all vendors are legitimate in the speed ratings. Sandisc, PNY, Amazon, Trancend are all good names.

-Suntan
    Thanked by: