Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GC736
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    Last night at 1am, I was awoken by the sound of my Galaxy S3 restarting. I first thought that my battery had died, and it was powering off. But no...it was restarting, after installing Jelly Bean. I purposefully have been avoiding the JB update so that I can tether with FoxFi (with which I have had great success). I know most updates have to be accepted by the user, and I have DECLINED the JB update when it first came out in December. Is it logical to assume that VZW has the power to FORCE UPDATE our phones, to accept the latest update? (I know I surely did not update my phone in my sleep!) If so..many people are going to be a tad upset.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    First I've heard of this. I can see Play Store apps if you have the automatic updates enabled but system (OS/firmware/profile) have always been user initiated.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  3. #3  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    This is actually not unheard of. I remember with my previous phone, the HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon starting doing this with the MR2 update. I believe I even seen reports of this already happening for this GS3 update, which is why there are posts in the root subforum on how to block the update.

    So to answer your question, yes, VZW does have this power, it does upset people, but it's not a new thing.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    This is actually not unheard of. I remember with my previous phone, the HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon starting doing this with the MR2 update. I believe I even seen reports of this already happening for this GS3 update, which is why there are posts in the root subforum on how to block the update.

    So to answer your question, yes, VZW does have this power, it does upset people, but it's not a new thing.
    I agree. All the OTA updates I've seen would have proceeded unless they were declined. Says that when the update screen pops up.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    This is actually not unheard of. I remember with my previous phone, the HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon starting doing this with the MR2 update. I believe I even seen reports of this already happening for this GS3 update, which is why there are posts in the root subforum on how to block the update.

    So to answer your question, yes, VZW does have this power, it does upset people, but it's not a new thing.
    One good reason you would never find me on Verizon ;-)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    Thanks for the replies, folks. It definitely threw me for a loop...1) to be awoken at 1am!...and 2), to have Jelly Bean just automatically update out of the blue. Again, I was delaying the update so that I could continue using Foxfi for tethering, since I am on an unlimited data plan. Now, FoxFi prompted me to install the new PdaNet+ app, which incorporates the USB tethering of PdaNet and the Wifi tethering of FoxFi. I'm able to use the Wifi tether just fine...but the phone's own hotspot app does pop up and say that hotspotting is enabled. By the end of the month I guess I'll find out if VZW is on to me.

    And if anyone out there was wondering, I'm stock, not rooted.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    That's messed up lol

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparktweek View Post
    Thanks for the replies, folks. It definitely threw me for a loop...1) to be awoken at 1am!...and 2), to have Jelly Bean just automatically update out of the blue. Again, I was delaying the update so that I could continue using Foxfi for tethering, since I am on an unlimited data plan. Now, FoxFi prompted me to install the new PdaNet+ app, which incorporates the USB tethering of PdaNet and the Wifi tethering of FoxFi. I'm able to use the Wifi tether just fine...but the phone's own hotspot app does pop up and say that hotspotting is enabled. By the end of the month I guess I'll find out if VZW is on to me.

    And if anyone out there was wondering, I'm stock, not rooted.
    So far, I have been using FoxFi on JB it also turns on the Hotspot icon, but I have not received any notifications or extra charges from Verizon. Of course, they now also prompt me to install the free PDANet+ app, right after I paid for the unlimited FoxFi app. That kinda pisses me off, unless they are doing the same thing with the PDANet+ (15 min limit unless buying full version).
    Thanked by:
    Sparktweek likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    Quote Originally Posted by GC736 View Post
    So far, I have been using FoxFi on JB it also turns on the Hotspot icon, but I have not received any notifications or extra charges from Verizon. Of course, they now also prompt me to install the free PDANet+ app, right after I paid for the unlimited FoxFi app. That kinda pisses me off, unless they are doing the same thing with the PDANet+ (15 min limit unless buying full version).
    I also paid for FoxFi, which is worth the 7 bucks to me. I installed PDANet+ (which is limited/ trial) and was pleased to find out that PDANet+ recognized that have the FoxFi key installed, I automatically got the full, unlocked PDANet+..and it works very well. Good luck and I hope it works for you too.
    Thanked by:
    GC736 
  10. #10  
    ncc1701p's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts

    Default Re: Forced Update to Jelly Bean by VZW

    I had JB forced down my throat also which broke foxfi. What im using as a substitude is WiFi Tether -TrevE Mod edition. It works but still kinda lacks a little. This version puts the phone in a ad-hoc kind mode where Foxif looked like a full AP. I know because my work laptop saw it w/ FoxFi & Not WiFi Tether since my work laptop is barred from connecting to ad-hoc devices. Im sure if you use lord google it would work. A side of caution. This software disabled bluetooth when you turn it on. Just go into settings and disable it. I know cuz it kept kicking my BT headset off when i activated it. Good Luck!

    also for the record i kept delaying the update cuz of FoxFi. Well I figured since im forced on it I might as well forcible try to find a substitude. I feel bad for the folks who shelled out $7 to get the licensed version and now can't use it.

    Disclaimer Edit: You need to be rooted to use that one program.

Similar Threads

  1. s3 stuck at "starting apps" after firmwire update to jelly bean
    By mike772lr in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
  2. Nexus won't properly update (173.8mb update) to Jelly Bean?
    By NewNexusUser99 in forum Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM
  3. Is the Wifi update to Jelly Bean a work around?
    By PaulDroidR2D2 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 04:50 AM
  4. Lost flash by updating to Jelly Bean?
    By jonsnowden in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
  5. Tried updating to Jelly Bean -- Stuck on Google screen / Bootloop
    By dmmarck in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

B