Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Default Re: Going from iPhone to Android....should I do it??

Quote Originally Posted by emburybrett View Post
    Be really for lower battery life I just came back to apple from the HTC One X and really don't mind the screen size Going from 4.7 inch to 3.5 Inch I did like the larger screen but overall I think that apple has an overall better Quality. I just got the iPhone 4S and like the quality 10x times better then plastic. I have been with android since android 1.5 for the most part and have also had the iPhone 3G 4 and now 4s but I have had more android phones 6 in all. And always miss having good app,phone, and overall quality when with android and couldn't been happier going back to apple.

On my last android (Htc One X) Max battery of 10 hours with display on the lowest and using the built in task manager the kill apps and would have to keep a charger with me at work and in my car so I wouldnt have the phone die on me. And with my iPhone 4S I have haven't even had it die or get under 20% on a work day.
    You were one of those guys who were doing it wrong.

Firstly task managers cause more harm than good. Android frees up memory very efficiently on its own. The more you kill the harder it is because android restarts all the apps that run over again instead of keeping them in the ram.

Secondly the hox had an 1800mah battery comparable to the sgs2 skyrocket I have at 1850mah. Knowing that and having a bit of knowledge about how android works I can say its stats should be able to perform on a level similar to this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going from iPhone to Android....should I do it??-uploadfromtaptalk1357882155379.jpg   Going from iPhone to Android....should I do it??-uploadfromtaptalk1357882171726.jpg  

Be really for lower battery life I just came back to apple from the HTC One X and really don't mind the screen size Going from 4.7 inch to 3.5 Inch I did like the larger screen but overall I think that apple has an overall better Quality. I just got the iPhone 4S and like the quality 10x times better then plastic. I have been with android since android 1.5 for the most part and have also had the iPhone 3G 4 and now 4s but I have had more android phones 6 in all. And always miss having good app,phone, and overall quality when with android and couldn't been happier going back to apple.

On my last android (Htc One X) Max battery of 10 hours with display on the lowest and using the built in task manager the kill apps and would have to keep a charger with me at work and in my car so I wouldnt have the phone die on me. And with my iPhone 4S I have haven't even had it die or get under 20% on a work day.
    One of the things that turned me off of getting the iPhone 5 was the lack of durability of the packaging. The iPhone 5 really needs to have a case, since it gets marked up very easily. The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s were okay using just Apple's rubber bumper case (which I did for a couple of years, and was happy with that). However, one of the reasons that I got the S3 instead of the iPhone 5 was because I really don't like to have to a full case for a phone, and the iPhone 5, while nice looking, is fragile in terms of getting dinged and scratched (not the screen, the back and around the edges). The S3 isn't rugged, but I don't feel the need for any kind of case with it, and so far it's been great. The other reasons included the size of the screen on the S3, the speed of the phone, and I think that Android phones have passed iOS phones in terms of features.
    Thanked by:
    ttwiitch likes this.

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3 + HTC Sense 3.6

Check out the HTC Droid DNA and the HTC One X+..Samsung Galaxy S3 is also a good phone..but i prefer HTC more over Samsung!!
    8100User likes this.

One X Plus. Do it! Selling my iPhone5 and iPad3 this weekend.

Incredibly sad but I am now proceeding to de-Apple my life. Without Steve Jobs it's just not the same.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    badbrad17 likes this.

On my One X with juice defender and 4.1 I can go one whole day easy on average use, even more with light use.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Thread seems to be getting off topic... Since this is a Verizon subforum, it's important to note that HTC's "One" line is not available on Verizon, which given the OP's situation is obviously the network she would have to be on. Also, just stay away from juice defender or any apps of that nature -- while they were absolutely necessary on older versions of Android they probably do more harm than good now.

I owned HTC phones for years, but I made the switch to Samsung because HTC has become notorious for using smaller batteries which results in less time off the charger. Not sure if I'll ever go back...

Going from iPhone to Android....should I do it??-screenshot_2012-11-29-22-35-16.png
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Well I switched to the S3 yesterday and I dropped three calls in my house last night We live way out in the country in central NC. Never dropped a call anywhere with Verizon before....now I'm in a pickle if I can't use my new phone inside my own house. Decisions, decisions.....

Samsung is known to have horrible radios in their phones. I live in an AT&T dead zone and going from my Htc one c to the I phone I only drop a call about once a week unlike the One x having to go outside to place a call.

Ok why would it be a bad idea to use the built in Task killer? And I really don't think it should be the size of the battery On iPhone has like 1400 Mah and I have 85% after being off the charger for 9 and half hours
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going from iPhone to Android....should I do it??-image.jpg  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Samsung is known to have horrible radios in their phones. I live in an AT&T dead zone and going from my Htc one c to the I phone I only drop a call about once a week unlike the One x having to go outside to place a call.

Ok why would it be a bad idea to use the built in Task killer? And I really don't think it should be the size of the battery On iPhone has like 1400 Mah and I have 85% after being off the charger for 9 and half hours
    Android is linux based and does not run like Windows or ios. It handles memory differently. Intuitively we believe more free memory the better but in android this is not the case. Android caches applications and also many times shares resources with other apps. Just because you see an app in the task manager doesn't mean its active or draining power. By killing the applications you are forcing android to work and fill this memory gap so that it can run efficiently. By killing the apps you are having adverse effect. Task manager is there to protect you from poorly coded apps that perhaps are crashing or for trouble shooting purposes. So killing all open apps will not help with battery life unless it is an app designed to run in the background like a music player or navi etc...

With my note 2 I consistently get well over 14hrs off charge and could probably go the whole day till 0%(I'm a very heavy user). I have never dropped a call since u have received this phone so if someone is i would contact Verizon and make sure things are set up correctly on their end..

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    ttwiitch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekybrown View Post
    Well I switched to the S3 yesterday and I dropped three calls in my house last night We live way out in the country in central NC. Never dropped a call anywhere with Verizon before....now I'm in a pickle if I can't use my new phone inside my own house. Decisions, decisions.....
    I hate to mention it, but Verizon has a "Network Extender" that I use here at my house. I'm in a Verizon "fringe" area (a "best" area, according to Verizon's coverage map *smile*). The Network Extender boosts cell signal strength, and allows visitors to reliably use 3G. I always use WiFi at home, not 3G, since WiFi is much faster and easier on the battery. I've also turned off 4G on my S3, since my place is even more marginal for that, and with WiFi I just don't need it at home. The Network Extender was about $250, but has worked well for the last few years with Verizon. Without it, my iPhone's battery was used up really fast, since the phone seemed to be wasting a lot of energy just trying to maintain cell phone connected-ness.

Anyways, if you're in a marginal Verizon cell signal strength area, I'd recommend their Network Extender. It really bothers me to pay the same as everyone else for Verizon coverage, and then have to buy an expensive piece of hardware to get it, but it is a one-time cost, helps my battery usage, and allows me to make calls reliably from home.

Lol, Sprint has the same thing...the Airwave, they used to give it away for free and comp the service fee even.. .

Quote Originally Posted by BoredandTattooed View Post
    Lol, Sprint has the same thing...the Airwave, they used to give it away for free and comp the service fee even.. .
    I agree...the "Network Extender"/femtocell should be free, since you need it to get the service that you're paying for *smile*. It really is part of Verizon's infrastructure. But that's the way that Verizon is, any way that they can figure to make money from customers, they'll do it. At least it's a one-time cost, no monthly fee, they really are missing out by doing that *smile*.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

I think not....LOL
    Both my kids iPhones work perfectly. I hate to say it, but I might be exchanging the phone....I am not giving V any more money than I already do monthly!

I think not....LOL
    Both my kids iPhones work perfectly. I hate to say it, but I might be exchanging the phone....I am not giving V any more money than I already do monthly!
    I wouldn't either -- that's a shame, I've never had a signal problem with mine.
    Thanked by:
    cheekybrown likes this.

My assumption is that you're positive that the calls didn't drop from the other caller? Is the phone dropping all calls or just specific calls?

I had the same problem when I switched from an iPhone 4 to the GS3. The iPhone very rarely dropped a call and the GS3 would drop most calls. My wife also has a GS3 and had the same issue. We tried resets, replacing the SIM card, disabling 4G. None of it worked. It's the receiver in the phone or the software controlling the receiver. As you only have 2 weeks to decide, you may want to take it back.

Now this only happened in and around our house. There's a relatively small area with a weak signal there. So some folks will say they never have an issue at all. Likely its because they don't spend a lot of time in areas that have low signals. When you live there, it's a whole different story.

I solved the problem by buying a used Verizon Network Extender. It connects to my broadband and acts like a mini cell tower in our home. With the extender we get excellent reception. t integrates with the phone so well that I barely realize it's there. You'll need to connect it to a broadband router via an ethernet cable and place it within the vicinity of a window to get a GPS signal. GPS is needed for 911 assistance and it won't work without it. They can be a bit pricey , so buying used helps. I looked at it as a longer term investment as we aren't going to be moving any time soon.
    Last edited by Wnrgway; 01-11-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    sr2012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wnrgway View Post
    I had the same problem when I switched from an iPhone 4 to the GS3. The iPhone very rarely dropped a call and the GS3 would drop most calls. My wife also has a GS3 and had the same issue. We tried resets, replacing the SIM card, disabling 4G. None of it worked. It's the receiver in the phone or the software controlling the receiver. As you only have 2 weeks to decide, you may want to take it back.

Now this only happened in and around our house. There's a relatively small area with a weak signal there. So some folks will say they never have an issue at all. Likely its because they don't spend a lot of time in areas that have low signals. When you live there, it's a whole different story.

I solved the problem by buying a used Verizon Network Extender. It connects to my broadband and acts like a mini cell tower in our home. With the extender we get excellent reception. t integrates with the phone so well that I barely realize it's there. You'll need to connect it to a broadband router via an ethernet cable and place it within the vicinity of a window to get a GPS signal. GPS is needed for 911 assistance and it won't work without it. They can be a bit pricey , so buying used helps. I looked at it as a longer term investment as we aren't going to be moving any time soon.
    Yep, same here, except I didn't have to put it near a window, it's right in the middle of the first floor of my two-story house and gets GPS fine. That's where I had to put it to cover my whole house, and works best there. I guess I have a lot more GPS than Verizon cell signal *sigh*. The only difference is that I got it when I had an iPhone...I didn't get dropped calls with the iPhone, but my battery life was terrible without the Network Extender.

Right...I don't have mine right next to the window. It's about 6 feet from the exterior wall on the 2nd story. The room has a single window. There's also a GPS extension cable available that's 30' long.

I ended up buying 2 used extenders. The first was defective and I returned it. Verizon support being what it is had me basically hanging it outside the window to try to get a GPS signal. They then wanted me to set it up on the SW side of the house. A properly working unit shouldn't need to go through these contortions.

Ahhhhh.... 20hrs standby. 2hrs screen on time. 70%battery left. Once u learn how to manage this thing possibilities are endless

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    nolittdroid likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I think not....LOL
    If you still want to give Android a go my recommendation would be the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. Motorola is at the top of the food chain for their radios and the phone has the biggest battery in the business. People who own this phone love it. The reviews are far better than even the S3.
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

You could try flashing a different radio. It's easy enough to do and may fix your issues with reception. I am also in NC and have much better coverage with Verizon and very few problems with my SGS3.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    . It's easy enough to do and may fix your issues with reception. I am also in NC and have much better coverage with Verizon and very few problems with my SGS3.
    How would you do this? Would you have to root the phone first?

Quote Originally Posted by Wnrgway View Post
    How would you do this? Would you have to root the phone first?
    Yes you have to be rooted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Come to the dark side so happy I picked the s3 over the iPhone 5!

Sent from my S3
    Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    sr2012 likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blade22222 View Post
    Yes you have to be rooted.

Actually that's not true. You don't need to be rooted. You need a custom recovery. That's not the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast