Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By blade22222
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Active apps do not remain on when screen times out

This is a new issue that has arisen after the JB update that is really annoying.
    Scenario is that you have an application running (music player, email, etc.) and you have it open and it's active.
    The screen timeout kicks in as per usual and the screen goes black. You hit the home button to turn the screen on
    and your active app appears for a fraction of a second and your screen reverts back to the home page.

Very frustrating and never used to happen with ICS. Any ideas OTHER than a factory reset??? I am not rooted.

Now if you're listening to a song on PlayerPro or whatever, the screen goes black (normal) and you hit the button to turn it on to pause and
    you are sent to the home screen and must drill back to the app to regain functionality.

Default Re: Active apps do not remain on when screen times out

Home button will now always take you to the home screen, you have to wake the phone with the power button.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    montanaxvi and ttwiitch like this.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Blade is correct. Get used to waking the phone up with the power button. Home key always returns your home screen now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Really?

Glad I heard about that before bothering to update. I use the home button all the time to turn on. Having it always go to the home screen would be frustrating.

-Suntan

Go into the setting for S-Voice and make sure Open Via Home Key is selected. This should allow the home button to wake your phone instead of returning you to the home screen.

But then you would get the home button lag associated with the phone waiting to see if you press the home button again, wouldn't you?

-Suntan

If the screen times out it will take u home. but if the screen times out and locks, the home button will take u to ur lockscreen and then unlock....ur app will still be up and running. It's just a matter or how long it timed out for and now locked.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    But then you would get the home button lag associated with the phone waiting to see if you press the home button again, wouldn't you?

-Suntan
    There's a slight lag but I consider it an acceptable trade-off to have the home button do what I want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrigan44 View Post
    There's a slight lag but I consider it an acceptable trade-off to have the home button do what I want it to do.
    To each there own. I don't consider that added lag worth the upgrade from ICS to JB. Glad I'm still on ICS.

That said, if I were already on JB, with no means for going back, then yes I would probably deal with the lag.

-Suntan

But you can go back.

Thanks for all the input, this was driving me to drink. Well, more drink.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by blade22222 View Post
    But you can go back.

Yes, I know. But if I were a person that didn't root, and just accepted the OTA update, etc. etc.

-Suntan

I still have this issue too. My screen goes black, I hit the power button, unlock the phone and the app is gone. Are there any other suggestions to fix this?

No issue with me. Always goes back to last app by using power button and then unlocking screen.

Interesting, so I'm using Go Locker and Go Launcher, maybe the locker has something to do with it. I'll try going back to the Samsung stand lock stuff and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by NarutoFiend View Post
    Interesting, so I'm using Go Locker and Go Launcher, maybe the locker has something to do with it. I'll try going back to the Samsung stand lock stuff and see what happens
    So going back to the stock lock stuff seems to work, guess there is something going on b/t my apps and Go Locker

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor7617 View Post
    No issue with me. Always goes back to last app by using power button and then unlocking screen.
    That's how mine works. I can wake it with the power or home button.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE