Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    hey guys I bought my S3 couple weeks ago and my battery is getting slaughtered because of 4 g, I'm in a place where signal is really poor.
    I looked online and Phone Info app was supposed to help people switch from 4g to 3g, but the app no longer works or right one is not in existence anymore. Is there any way to turn off 4g?
    I can't believe verizon is making it this hard to switch from 4g to 3g and vice versa.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Found the same thing you did, the current iteration of phone info is different. I haven't found anything in the market or otherwise that works, but 4G is not affecting my battery and I'm on it all day at work.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    As of right now, I don't think there is a way to do it...at least not an easy way. I know that with the old "phone info" app you could get it to work to get to 3G, but turning 4G back on required a few extra steps because the app didn't work properly in ICS. Not sure if that's why it's disappeared from the market or not...?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    I already had "Phone Info" app on my phone before the JB update, and used it to turn off 4G after I installed JB. Right now, when I go to More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode, none of the 3 choices are set, so I know that setting the phone mode through Phone Info did work (and I don't see it trying to use 4G, just 3G *smile*). I do see the app "Phone Info" when I go to the Google Play store, so it appears to be still available there.

    So I guess I'm not seeing the problem for some reason?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    I do see the app "Phone Info" when I go to the Google Play store, so it appears to be still available there.

    So I guess I'm not seeing the problem for some reason?
    The version of Phone Info in the app store no longer has the options the olders one did, they've been removed. I spoke with Verizon yesterday concerning an email I had sent them regarding this issue, and was told the option is no longer available. I explained the battery savings from being able to lock the phone in 3G, and was told my concern would be sent to Samsung. Sooo, good luck with that
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Try here:

    From this thread
    Thanked by 2:
    GSDerjtb575s 
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Try here:

    From this thread
    This doesn't work anymore, at least with JB as there are still no options to switch to 'CDMA/EvDo auto' which will lock in 3G.
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by PJRed2008 View Post
    This doesn't work anymore, at least with JB as there are still no options to switch to 'CDMA/EvDo auto' which will lock in 3G.
    Wow, that's ridiculous. If there had been no way to turn off 4G, I wouldn't have bought the phone in the first place. I can even turn 4G on/off on my iPad...
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    Wow, that's ridiculous. If there had been no way to turn off 4G, I wouldn't have bought the phone in the first place. I can even turn 4G on/off on my iPad...
    I don't really think its that big deal unless you live in a fringe area where the phone is constantly hunting back and forth. But, it still seems that we should have the choice.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by PJRed2008 View Post
    This doesn't work anymore, at least with JB as there are still no options to switch to 'CDMA/EvDo auto' which will lock in 3G.
    It still works -- you need to switch it to "CDMA auto (PRL)" using the phone info app.

    The problem is that on Jelly Bean you can't switch back, at least not using the app (it won't accept the selection when you try to change it back). To get 4G back, you have to go to:

    Settings --> More Settings (under Wireless and Networks) --> Mobile Networks --> Network Mode

    Then be sure to select "LTE/CDMA"

    That will get 4G back. I've tested and confirmed.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Manually.

    Attachment 56455
    Please help me switch from 4g to 3g-uploadfromtaptalk1357943724741.jpg





    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    It still works -- you need to switch it to "CDMA auto (PRL)" using the phone info app.
    What version of Phone Info are you using and where exactly in the app are you finding the setting for CDMA auto?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Is that JB 4.1.1 on Verizon? You have no Global setting is why I'm asking. Also, this is the 4G setting, there is nothing there to get you to 3G.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    Manually.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    That's how you have to switch to 4G, however there is no way to force the phone to use 3G only via those settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJRed2008 View Post
    What version of Phone Info are you using and where exactly in the app are you finding the setting for CDMA auto?
    Version 1.3 (from the XDA link I posted earlier in this thread).

    Click on "Device Info" then set it to "CDMA auto (PRL)" under "Set preferred network type". Again, if you want to go back to 4G, you have to and set it back to "LTE/CDMA" in the network settings, changing it back using the Phone Info app doesn't work on JB.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Of course u can. If set to cdma only...it will be 3G always.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    That's how you have to switch to 4G, however there is no way to force the phone to use 3G only via those settings.
    Version 1.3 (from the XDA link I posted earlier in this thread).

    Click on "Device Info" then set it to "CDMA auto (PRL)" under "Set preferred network type". Again, if you want to go back to 4G, you have to and set it back to "LTE/CDMA" in the network settings, changing it back using the Phone Info app doesn't work on JB.
    What I'm reading from previous postings above is that the "Phone IInfo" app currently available from the Google Play store doesn't have the option to turn off 4G/LTE anymore. I haven't looked, the version that I have still has that ability, and I'm not about to download a version that doesn't. But that's what is said above. As for me, I have 4G/LTE turned off, I don't need or want it, since I'm in a fringe area, and don't need the extra battery consumption.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    What I'm reading from previous postings above is that the "Phone IInfo" app currently available from the Google Play store doesn't have the option to turn off 4G/LTE anymore. I haven't looked, the version that I have still has that ability, and I'm not about to download a version that doesn't. But that's what is said above. As for me, I have 4G/LTE turned off, I don't need or want it, since I'm in a fringe area, and don't need the extra battery consumption.
    The confusion lies in the fact that there are several apps named "Phone Info" in the Play Store. The app from "sc@taiwan", which is the one that folks used to revert to 3G, isn't available anymore. If you still want to download and use that app, you'll have to allow your phone to install apps from outside sources and download the apk from the link I posted above.

    I don't know how I can put it any clearer.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    The confusion lies in the fact that there are several apps named "Phone Info" in the Play Store. The app from "sc@taiwan", which is the one that folks used to revert to 3G, isn't available anymore. If you still want to download and use that app, you'll have to allow your phone to install apps from outside sources and download the apk from the link I posted above.

    I don't know how I can put it any clearer.
    Can the "apk" version of an app be installed if you don't have your phone rooted? How would one do that? I don't need this particular one, but I've been wondering about this.

    Is this a good way to do it:



    or are there better ways?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by MrDoh; 01-12-2013 at 06:12 PM.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Please help me switch from 4g to 3g

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    Can the "apk" version of an app be installed if you don't have your phone rooted? How would one do that? I don't need this particular one, but I've been wondering about this.

    Is this a good way to do it:



    or are there better ways?

    Thanks.
    All you have to do is go to "Settings --> Security" and make sure you have "Unknown Sources" checked. Then, you can download the .apk file directly to your phone and click to install it -- you do not have to be rooted.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you switch from 4G to 3G???
    By Redandroid in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 07:37 AM
  2. Switching from 4g to 3g manually since ics
    By Droid38 in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 12:46 PM
  3. switching from 4g to 3g
    By specops2k3 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
  4. Rezound keeps switching from 4G to 3G even in strong 4G areas
    By dareid02 in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
  5. Help - me switch from Pre- to Epic 4G Touch
    By luigidk in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Posting Permissions

B