Issues with data dropping during mobile hotspot/tethering

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
My data drops on and off every few seconds when I have it tethered. Its only started after the jb update.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been banging my head against this issue over and over again.

I can't ever get it to do it on command but it happens everyday at least once. Sometimes it doesn't work for hours.

Verizon upgraded the tower in use the most and then said it was because I'm in a fringe area. So they are blaming where I live.

Makes me mad, and it always happens when I have an online quiz or exam to take.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Seems to be an issue with Verizon and jelly bean in my opinion. My gf bought the DNA and it had the same exact issue. She pays the hot spot fee as well. I never had this issue on my S3 until it was updated to jelly bean. Now on my note 2 it has the exact same problem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
This is good to know. I never had issues on ICS. It's good to know that other phones have the issue. My wife's maxx does the same thing when I put my Sim card in her phone.

Verizon needs to fess up and fix this.

deanony

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem when I had the S3, and they sent me 2 replacements. After that did not work then they sent me a Note 2. I must say it is a little better, but still have major issues. Sometimes it can't activate hotspot till I reset and wait 20 min. I must say I did do a speedtest and it is faster than Fios. If it only stayed connected and ran like my old Palm pre I would be a very happy camper.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know. I never had issues on ICS. It's good to know that other phones have the issue. My wife's maxx does the same thing when I put my Sim card in her phone.

Verizon needs to fess up and fix this.

I've been using my regular RAZR and it hasn't been a problem. Hmmm. Weird. Is hers a maxx HD or regular Maxx? I'm wondering if its jellybean and the modem or VZW may be using this to throttle somewhat. My sgs3 only does it when I'm using alot of data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

deanony

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue and they finally gave me a NoteII. Now I was on the phone with them last night for 2 hours and they said it was my notebooks. I can connect 2 notebooks, but the third one locks everyone out. I also can only stay connected for 15 mins and then it hangs on everyone. No solution yet..

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Happened again today. I can't log into my school's Moodle. Data works, drops works, drops.

Makes me want to throw my phone.

Which I did.

Tip: don't throw your phone.

Now I need to save up for the $99 deductible. Cracked my screen.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
A temporary solution I have found is to go into your remembered networks on the windows pc and remove the Hotspot. Seems removing it and reentering the password might hold its connection.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
A temporary solution I have found is to go into your remembered networks on the windows pc and remove the Hotspot. Seems removing it and reentering the password might hold its connection.

Update on my tethering, been working great! I think I figured it out.

Thing that sucks is I went back to a RAZR Maxx.

I really think the true root of the issue is a problem with Verizon's hotspot and Jelly Bean. Something isn't working right between the two.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
was having the same problem... here's my sequence of events

1. bought sgs3 with ICS and installed foxfi, worked great with no issues.
2. vzw updated sgs3 OTA to JB and broke foxfi, tried other tethering apps (Fattin toggle, pdanet etc) nothing worked.
3. did a factory restore, which fixed tethering for a few hours but then the data started dropping again, started getting really frustrated and considered rooting and reinstalling ICS
4. tried changing the name of the hotspot and that seemed to fix Fattin and it has been working fine for about 3 days now

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issue and they finally gave me a NoteII. Now I was on the phone with them last night for 2 hours and they said it was my notebooks. I can connect 2 notebooks, but the third one locks everyone out. I also can only stay connected for 15 mins and then it hangs on everyone. No solution yet..

This might be the problem. I had 3 devices connected when my data started dropping but lately have only been using 1 or 2!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs