New User - general questions that I cannot find answers for.

Taylor7617

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey there everyone. Wife and I just upgraded to the GS3 under VZW and so far have been really liking the phone. It's our first smart-phone but have been around enough friends & family to get a reasonable baseline on how they work. After a couple weeks, starting hunting to answer questions and found this site. WOW, tons of information and have cleared up some of our minor issues/questions...but some still exist. Hoping this forum can help clear up some things - sorry if these have been discussed, but couldn't find anything via the search function.

1) (comment / frustration) VZW salesman told us all games/apps/etc is best to be put on SD card. As such, we only purchased the 16gb and were going to buy large cards. Now, knowing games & apps cannot be transferred...wising we would've got the 32gb just to ensure we have enough room.

2) Why is it that we need to have the mobil data (or wifi) enabled to send pictures within text msg? On our previous basic phone without data plan, it allowed us to do this...seems strange we need data access to accomplish the same task? Is there something I'm missing?

3) Outside of play store, where are some good locations to view/download apps, games, widgets? I know everyone has their personal preference on best items to get...just looking for some good spots to start looking.

4) Is the app to be able to read those QR barcodes in the google store or other place? As you can tell...I've not ventured to deep into it to find all I need/want.

Just getting started here, so I'll keep this one short. Thanks to all that help.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
2) You always need 3G or 4G to send/receive MMS texts (pictures). It doesn't work over Wifi. You needed it with your last phone too.

Data = Internet, emails, streaming music, etc

You didn't need a data plan with your old phone to send MMS texts, but you were still charged more for them than a regular text. (Unless you had unlimited texts/MMS.)

4) Download Barcode Scanner app in the Play Store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
1) I think the VZW rep fed you invalid information. The SD Card will hold data (like music and stuff) but you can't put apps and stuff on it. At least with stock.

2) Not sure about this as I was pretty sure you need data to send MMS, at least nowadays (I think the tech is different than the old picture messaging I had on my old flip phone in 2004....been a long time since I didn't have a data plan).

3) I just use the Play Store (and sometimes the Amazon Store). You can get apps from elsewhere, but I tend to avoid it because I don't trust them. The exceptions being XDA or something for an app that isn't offered anymore or isn't for my device (so I can't get it from the Play Store). You have to be careful about this and getting pirated apps (not to get into a whole pirate discussion, but apps aren't really that expensive in the first place).

4) There are lots of apps to scan barcodes. Google Googles, Google Shopper, Shopsavvy, Barcode Scanner. I mostly use Shopsavvy just because it's what I'm used to (it saves my scan history and lets me create shopping lists from the things I scan and gives me price comparisons between online and local retailers). I think Google Shopper does that too, but like I said, I mostly just found one I liked (Shopsavvy) and stuck with it and have used it for a few years now.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
1) I think the VZW rep fed you invalid information. The SD Card will hold data (like music and stuff) but you can't put apps and stuff on it. At least with stock.

Yeah, I have no idea why a salesperson would say that. Android hasn't supported apps to SD card since at least ICS.

(And there are very good reasons for this I won't get into here, but yes, that was bad info).

Taylor7617

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
2) You always need 3G or 4G to send/receive MMS texts (pictures). It doesn't work over Wifi. You needed it with your last phone too.

Data = Internet, emails, streaming music, etc

You didn't need a data plan with your old phone to send MMS texts, but you were still charged more for them than a regular text. (Unless you had unlimited texts/MMS.)

4) Download Barcode Scanner app in the Play Store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

On old phone, I did have unlimited txt and so I didn't think about sending quick snapshots/pics to friends or family. I guess now that I think about it, I was still on the VZW network. I just didn't attribute that function from old phone to requiring mobil data (being tied to the network)on this phone since I can send basic text messages (without pics) while not on 3G/4G but it does make sense except for now it uses part of my data plan (if only a fraction) to send it.

As for the other responders, thanks! Much appreciated.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
On old phone, I did have unlimited txt and so I didn't think about sending quick snapshots/pics to friends or family. I guess now that I think about it, I was still on the VZW network. I just didn't attribute that function from old phone to requiring mobil data (being tied to the network)on this phone since I can send basic text messages (without pics) while not on 3G/4G but it does make sense except for now it uses part of my data plan (if only a fraction) to send it.

As for the other responders, thanks! Much appreciated.

You may remember back in the day when picture messages first appeared on "dumb" phones? It would usually take a few minutes to send them and retrieve them over the cellular network, and those were crappy, blurry pictures taken 1/1000 megapixel camera that were only a few bytes in size. I imagine the reason today's phones require mobile data to send/receive MMS is because the files are considerably larger, and it would really be a pain to have to upload and download those files over the slower voice protocols.

Oh, and back to the OP's original first question, 16GB of internal is fine for most folks who don't run a lot of games, but unfortunately those files can take a lot of storage (which can't be offloaded to SD card). I'm sure the 32GB models may serve you better, but having to manage with 16GB isn't too bad as long as you have an SD card for your music and pics and stuff.

Taylor7617

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You may remember back in the day when picture messages first appeared on "dumb" phones? It would usually take a few minutes to send them and retrieve them over the cellular network, and those were crappy, blurry pictures taken 1/1000 megapixel camera that were only a few bytes in size. I imagine the reason today's phones require mobile data to send/receive MMS is because the files are considerably larger, and it would really be a pain to have to upload and download those files over the slower voice protocols.

Oh, and back to the OP's original first question, 16GB of internal is fine for most folks who don't run a lot of games, but unfortunately those files can take a lot of storage (which can't be offloaded to SD card). I'm sure the 32GB models may serve you better, but having to manage with 16GB isn't too bad as long as you have an SD card for your music and pics and stuff.

Makes perfect sense! Thanks.

Last "dumb" question (I hope, lol). Just confirming, but when I purchase an app...that is only for me, right? Meaning that if my wife wants it as well, she has to also go out and buy it meaning a double hit to the family expenses? Or...can it be shared?

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Last "dumb" question (I hope, lol). Just confirming, but when I purchase an app...that is only for me, right? Meaning that if my wife wants it as well, she has to also go out and buy it meaning a double hit to the family expenses? Or...can it be shared?

I too got "conned" by Verizon and bought the 16GB. I take it as my own fault since I didn't know enough to research out first. I put in a 64GB micro sd card using the same assumption. Oh well. I do use a ton of apps (90+) and they right now take up 2.5 GB. As a pharmacist the 2 apps that take the most space are the ones that permanent storage of their data on the internal memory of 4GB. With that, I still have well over 8GB to try and fill up.

I have all pictures going to my mnt/extSDcard/dcim/camera folder..this can be auto chosen within the camera app itself.

In regards to sharing apps or other items. Unless you both use the exact same email, you cannot share apps on Google Play or the Amazon App Store. On the Amazon App Store you can share a single email easier as I do for the Kindle app on my SG3.

If I can help more just ask or PM me.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S 3. If was able to help you please click Thanks.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Easiest way to share apps is to set up a "Shared" gmail account that you both use. Set it up as a secondary account on both of your phones (From Gmail, go into the settings and "add account"). Then (and here's an important part), when in the Play Store, just make sure you're using that shared account to purchase apps. If you do that, you only have to purchase once, but can download and use on both phones.

Taylor7617

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
easiest way to share apps is to set up a "shared" gmail account that you both use. Set it up as a secondary account on both of your phones (from gmail, go into the settings and "add account"). Then (and here's an important part), when in the play store, just make sure you're using that shared account to purchase apps. If you do that, you only have to purchase once, but can download and use on both phones.

thank you !!!!

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
If your rooted you can always find the application in the /system folder and copy it to the SD Card. That's what I used to do to share apps with friends who wanted an app I bought.

Taylor7617

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry everyone, a few more............fun learning curve here for me!

1) Sharing email for Google play; if I purchase an app or game from phone while signed in under shared email address/account...once purchased is a confirmation email sent? So...assume we would both receive this and then with that authorization (or link) within email, she could go and download the same app on her phone. That sound right????

2) Is there another way to close an app, say the internet, without going into task manager and killing it? I know one can back out, but is there another way to actually close it??

3) Under accounts, I see that I have a Google Account as well as a Samsung account. I don't specifically recall setting up a Samsung account...maybe this came with the Google account as it has same email address or I just have forgotten, LOL. Anyone know the difference?

I swear I will figure this out, but in the meantime I really do greatly appreciate all the replies and assistance!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry everyone, a few more............fun learning curve here for me!

1) Sharing email for Google play; if I purchase an app or game from phone while signed in under shared email address/account...once purchased is a confirmation email sent? So...assume we would both receive this and then with that authorization (or link) within email, she could go and download the same app on her phone. That sound right????

2) Is there another way to close an app, say the internet, without going into task manager and killing it? I know one can back out, but is there another way to actually close it??

3) Under accounts, I see that I have a Google Account as well as a Samsung account. I don't specifically recall setting up a Samsung account...maybe this came with the Google account as it has same email address or I just have forgotten, LOL. Anyone know the difference?

I swear I will figure this out, but in the meantime I really do greatly appreciate all the replies and assistance!

1. OK, here's how to do it...

1st phone:
Make sure the secondary shared account is setup on your phone.
Open Google Play Store app.
Click the Menu button then then click "Accounts". Select the shared account you setup earlier.
Buy the app you want.
You'll get a confirmation email to the shared address, but you really don't use that for anything.

2nd phone:
Make sure the secondary shared account is setup on your phone.
Open Google Play Store app
Click the Menu button then then click "Accounts". Select the shared account you setup earlier.
Click the Menu button, then click "My Apps"
You should see the app you bought listed as "purchased", click on it to install. (you may have to swipe right on the my apps screen see which apps are associated to each account...sorry it's been a while since I did it).

Bottom line? The app purchases are tied directly to the account that they were purchased with, there's not activation key or special link that gets emailed to you or anything like that. As long as the account in question is added to a device, it can download apps purchased on that account.

2. Not really, but you shouldn't worry about it so much. If you phone starts to lag, you *may* want to restart it every few days, but the current version of Android does a pretty good job of managing apps on it's own. Even if an app appears to "running", it's most likely in a standby state and not using too many resources. Yes, there are exceptions and rouge apps out there, but for the most part you should be fine.

3. The Samsung account may have been setup when you initially setup the phone (cloud storage maybe)? I'm not sure, but it's more connected to the device than your Google account. I don't even have it on mine. Probably just uses your gmail email address as your username. Again, not something I'd worry too much about.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae