Considering VZ Galaxy S3 - Some concerns

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
So I used to have a DroidX before my current phone (iPhone 4S). I'm really thinking about going back to Android but I'm concerned that the signal strength of the S3 may be worse than the iphone 4s or DroidX. I'm reading many posts in several forums and the VZW site where people are having issues with the S3 when they didnt with other phones. The thing I'm wondering is if the issues may have been fixed with the JellyBean release. A lot of the messages I'm finding are for people on ICS.

Anyway, at home, my iphone 4s gets about 2 bars in the house but doesn't drop calls. I may get a friend of mine to bring his S3 to my house but was wondering if this is something I should be concerned with or not.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was also concerned about some of those issues, but have found the S3 much stronger than my Thunderbolt, which didn't do badly. I can still connect to wifi from the far side of my backyard, GPS is almost instant with many more sats found, and the phone is stronger. Lots depend on location, but if the X worked, I would expect the S3 to be at least as good, but most likely better.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Good news is that it was storming last night when my friend came over and the phone worked perfectly fine. Worst signal was -97db. Was mostly hovering around -92 which is not great but phone worked just fine. Placed several calls from my home "trouble" spots and it worked fine. Seemed to hold 3 bars so it looks like I'll be picking up the S3 next week.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the Razr and our signals are virtually identical in db although they do sometimes differ in signal bars. Also, when we go out of 4G range and the S3 goes into 3G mode hers recovers to 4G faster than the S3. Other than that though my signal is fine and I've never dropped a call.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So I used to have a DroidX before my current phone (iPhone 4S). I'm really thinking about going back to Android but I'm concerned that the signal strength of the S3 may be worse than the iphone 4s or DroidX. I'm reading many posts in several forums and the VZW site where people are having issues with the S3 when they didnt with other phones. The thing I'm wondering is if the issues may have been fixed with the JellyBean release. A lot of the messages I'm finding are for people on ICS.

Anyway, at home, my iphone 4s gets about 2 bars in the house but doesn't drop calls. I may get a friend of mine to bring his S3 to my house but was wondering if this is something I should be concerned with or not.

Also, if you do have a problem in the future like I do with cell signal strength, you can always try the Verizon Network Extender...a one-time payment, and you'll have a decent cell signal (and 3G as well), throughout your house. Of course I have the same problem with the Galaxy S3 as I had with the iPhone, if my cell signal strength is low, the battery gets used up really quickly as a result. So the Network Extender is really useful here. Of course, I wouldn't need it if I got the service that I was paying for from Verizon without it.

keithdroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I will add that when I had mine the signal was only slightly worse than my Maxx HD, but not enough to be noticably slower or cause any issues. And since you were able to have someone come over with one I think your questions were answered! Best way to tell.

walkingrock

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
So I used to have a DroidX before my current phone (iPhone 4S). I'm really thinking about going back to Android but I'm concerned that the signal strength of the S3 may be worse than the iphone 4s or DroidX. I'm reading many posts in several forums and the VZW site where people are having issues with the S3 when they didnt with other phones. The thing I'm wondering is if the issues may have been fixed with the JellyBean release. A lot of the messages I'm finding are for people on ICS. Anyway, at home, my iphone 4s gets about 2 bars in the house but doesn't drop calls. I may get a friend of mine to bring his S3 to my house but was wondering if this is something I should be concerned with or not.

The radio in the S3 is not as good as the radio I had in my Motorola Droid 2. I have more difficulty getting connections in a spotty work area. However, I LOVE the screen on the S3! I do wish the radio was better, but it isn't going to keep me from using it for my full 2-contract. I've had the S3 since July (6 months).

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon