Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LegalAmerican
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  • 1 Post By MikeLip
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ready to throw this phone out and get a new one...

I have a Galaxy S3 - I have been a long time user of smart phones, but this one is the worst yet for me. When talking to anyone, my phone cuts them out during the conversation and then eventually disconnects them. The sound that happens is a "water droplet/blurping" sound in my ear. This does not happen while I am using hands free in my car, but if I have the phone up to my ear it is constant. I have tried turning off every sound option in the phone to make it stop, with no luck. I know it has something to do with my phone as my husband and daughter have the exact phone and they do not complain about their calls. PLEASE HELP!!! I am a salesperson - I have to use my phone... Is there a way to turn off the ability to use the screen while on the phone???

Thank you for your help!

Default Re: Ready to throw this phone out and get a new one...

If they (your husband and daughter) have the same phone and do not have the same problem, it is clear that your device is defective. Honestly, there might be a way to fix the issue by activating or deactivating various settings. But you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make this thing work for you. I would get it replaced.
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.

I agree, the "water droplet/blurping" sound is the default sound for key-depress on the dialer keypad, so I'm assuming that's what's happening. Doubt it has anything to do with "turning off sounds" as much as it is too much sensitivity on the touch screen when it's up to your face.

Question, if you were to use your husband's or daughter's phone to make a call, does the same thing happen? If not, it seems like an issue with your particular phone. If it still does it when you use their phones, then to quote Steve Jobs, "You're holding it wrong". Ok, that last part was a joke, but may be something to look at none the less if this is the case.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No - their phones work fine for me. It has something to do with my stupid phone... I must be holding it wrong!!! Thanks for your reply... Guess I will have to go to the store and have them look at it..

Dose the screen turn off when you cover the proximity sensor when on a call?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by blade22222 View Post
    Dose the screen turn off when you cover the proximity sensor when on a call?

That was my thought. It seems like the proximity sensor isn't working. Or your face is invisible. I'm guessing it's more likely the sensor. Take it back.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Call your voice mail then cover the sensor with your finger. I just did this and the screen went off.

Quote Originally Posted by burns011 View Post
    I have a Galaxy S3 - I have been a long time user of smart phones, but this one is the worst yet for me. When talking to anyone, my phone cuts them out during the conversation and then eventually disconnects them. The sound that happens is a "water droplet/blurping" sound in my ear. This does not happen while I am using hands free in my car, but if I have the phone up to my ear it is constant. I have tried turning off every sound option in the phone to make it stop, with no luck. I know it has something to do with my phone as my husband and daughter have the exact phone and they do not complain about their calls. PLEASE HELP!!! I am a salesperson - I have to use my phone... Is there a way to turn off the ability to use the screen while on the phone???

Thank you for your help!

This should help.
    There is a setting to turn the proximity sensor on/off and it probably got changed to off when someone was playing with the phone.
    Open the phone to the keypad dialer like you are going to make a call. Press the menu key (next to the home button).
    When the menu pops up, choose call settings.
    The option you want is listed as "Auto screen off during calls". Make sure there is a check mark in that box.

If the box is checked and it still does it, then its time to take it in to sprint.
    Although if it is something that suddenly started and hasn't been happening all along since day 1, then a system restore could very likely help and you have nothing to lose.
    But I'm betting the setting just got unchecked.