Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to make my phone faster and not get random lag?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Default Re: How to make my phone faster and not get random lag?

Odds are it is a bad app or multiple bad apps causing memory issues.

I never saw any signs of lag on my S3 when I had it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Anyways to scan for apps causing the lag? Or?

Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Unlock, root and recovery, install an AOSP ROM? Did wonders for me.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah I'm rooted... What's an AOSP rom?

Quote Originally Posted by Androidprodigy View Post
    Yeah I'm rooted... What's an AOSP rom?

AOSP just mean "Android Open Source Project", and are your vanilla Android ROMs that have no carrier UI (such as Samsung's TouchWiz) installed, similar to the OS found on Nexus devices. AOSP Roms include those like CyanogenMod and AOKP. Frankly, you can install one if you want, but you will lose most of the Samsung features. To each his own on that one. Frankly, this phone should run just fine on the stock OS or any other TouchWiz based ROM. I'm running CleanROM and my device is smoking...and battery life is phenomenal (see below).

If you really want to improve phone performance, all you should really need to do is a little spring cleaning. Remove apps that don't use anymore, or just those that are resource hogs that you can live without. Then, go into the apps you use regularly and clear the data and cache if possible (obviously you don't want to do this for games with saved progress and such).

Since you're rooted (and I'm going to assume have CWM and unlocked bootloader), you could boot into recovery and clear your system cache as well...and if you *really* want to clean things up you could backup your device and do a full data wipe...although if you were going to that far, might as well try a new ROM out!

How to make my phone faster and not get random lag?-screenshot_2013-01-11-14-36-05.png
    Thanked by:
    Dog5000 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeap figured it out for some reason a signal booster app I downloaded was spamming my phone with adds, ultimately slowing my phone down a lot. thanks for the help helpful response. Can you send me a link to where you got your clean rom? Cause I am looking into flashing a good rom.

Yeap figured it out for some reason a signal booster app I downloaded was spamming my phone with adds, ultimately slowing my phone down a lot. thanks for the help helpful response. Can you send me a link to where you got your clean rom? Cause I am looking into flashing a good rom.

Here is CleanROM: [ROM][1/13] - CleanROM 5.6 -★| The Standard for Excellence! |★- - xda-developers

Great ROM with a lot of features, based directly off of the stock firmware and very stable.

+1 on cleanrom bug free and great battery life as Pete stated.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    AOSP just mean "Android Open Source Project", and are your vanilla Android ROMs that have no carrier UI (such as Samsung's TouchWiz) installed, similar to the OS found on Nexus devices. AOSP Roms include those like CyanogenMod and AOKP. Frankly, you can install one if you want, but you will lose most of the Samsung features. To each his own on that one. Frankly, this phone should run just fine on the stock OS or any other TouchWiz based ROM. I'm running CleanROM and my device is smoking...and battery life is phenomenal (see below).

If you really want to improve phone performance, all you should really need to do is a little spring cleaning. Remove apps that don't use anymore, or just those that are resource hogs that you can live without. Then, go into the apps you use regularly and clear the data and cache if possible (obviously you don't want to do this for games with saved progress and such).

Since you're rooted (and I'm going to assume have CWM and unlocked bootloader), you could boot into recovery and clear your system cache as well...and if you *really* want to clean things up you could backup your device and do a full data wipe...although if you were going to that far, might as well try a new ROM out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-11-14-36-05.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	58179
    That can't be considered good. That's horrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    That can't be considered good. That's horrible.

21 hours run time with 50% remain? Seems pretty good to me... (and yes, it was connected to wifi, but mobile data was on the entire time).
    msndrstood likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    21 hours run time with 50% remain? Seems pretty good to me... (and yes, it was connected to wifi, but mobile data was on the entire time).
    OK that was my bad I didn't see the 1 somehow lmao. It looked like 2h to me for some odd reason.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    OK that was my bad I didn't see the 1 somehow lmao. It looked like 2h to me for some odd reason.

Thats too funny, thought you were being sarcastic at first.

Sorry to jump in your thread OP, but just wanted to ask if theres any known bugs with cleanrom since it was brought up. Specifically with these features:

-phone
    -sms/mms
    -browser
    -camera
    -gps with google maps

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by xderiwx View Post

Sorry to jump in your thread OP, but just wanted to ask if theres any known bugs with cleanrom since it was brought up. Specifically with these features:

-phone
    -sms/mms
    -browser
    -camera
    -gps with google maps

Thank you!
    Forget about cleanrom. Go with either CM10 or AOKP. Both are significantly faster and get better battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by xderiwx View Post

-phone
    -sms/mms
    -browser
    -camera
    -gps with google maps

Thank you!
    No problems with any of those. As I mentioned, it's built off the stock firmware, so pretty much everything works -- it just has a few nice extras baked in, bloatware removed, and uses the Aroma installer that allows you pick and choose a lot of the Samsung and Google apps you want.

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    Forget about cleanrom. Go with either CM10 or AOKP. Both are significantly faster and get better battery life.
    If you *want* run AOSP ROMs, those are good choices, but honestly, in my experience, CleanROM runs just as "fast" on the S3 and, as evidenced by my screenshot above, has great battery life too. Really just a matter of personal preference as to whether someone prefers TouchWiz or vanilla Android. I personally like some of the Samsung/TouchWiz features, so I prefer to run a TW ROM. Also, because ROMs like CR are built off the stock firmware, I find there are less bugs...although it has been a while since I ran CM10, so perhaps it's more stable now than it was when tried it out a while ago.

Not trying to say you're wrong or to discount your advice...just saying that anyone thinking of ROM-ing should weigh the pros and cons of each type before moving forward, because I don't think it's a black and white sort of thing.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

So what is the best overall rom for the gs3 I535 as of now?

So what is the best overall rom for the gs3 I535 as of now?

That was kind of my point -- there's no right answer to that question.

Most of the ROMs can be found over at XDA: Verizon Galaxy S3 Android Development - xda-developers
    And there are some at RootzWiki as well: Verizon Galaxy S3 Development - RootzWiki

Look over the 1st posts to see what's included in the ROMs, then read some of the latest comments to see what others are saying about them. I recommened CleanRom because that's what I primarily run and I love it...but there are quite a few other popular stock/TW ROMs out there. Then there are those who are die-hard AOSP fans who like CM10 or AOKP. Lots of choices with this device....
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Ight gotcha and thanks