How to downgrade to ics

cdjohn81

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get s3 back to ics.? My many concern is that when I run foxfi it will work just fine for a while but the my 4G icon will start to cut on and off and I don't have stable connection., and it has been doing that since phone has been on jellybean, but never did that with ICS. I don't know if the developers of foxfi will make a fix for that if not then I would like to ics back online if anyone knows something please let me know

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This will get you back. [How To] Reset your phone in order to return to Verizon(Updated 12/11/2012) - xda-developers

If the OP isn't rooted (and I'm assuming you aren't), I'm not sure this will actually work. You'd have to start with the 3rd step, which is flashing an older OS image via ODIN (which, again, I don't know if you can downgrade if you're not rooted and bootload locked). Keep in mind if this does work this process will completely wipe your phone!

Honestly, the short answer to the OP's question is that there is no EASY way to go back. What you may have to do is root your phone, unlock the bootloader, then flash back to an older OS image.

Anyone here ever try to flash an older firmware on a non-rooted S3?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
OK, I investigated a little bit more, and I'm thinking it is possible to downgrade. I, however, am certainly not going to try it on my own device, so take all this with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to help, and I'm NOT responsible if you brick your device.

See this link here:
How To Downgrade Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean To Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Stock Firmware - Vodeblog

Now, I disagree with a lot of this, as JB runs great on the S3 -- it's just that the OTA update method is awful and it is that which is primarily responsible for the lag and crashes some folks experience. A simple factory reset is usually all it needs. Since the OP has a different reason for wanting to downgrade, let's move forward....

You don't want to actually download any of the files from that site above, I posted it because the instructions are pretty straight forward, but you'll need the software for the VERIZON version of the S3, so let's go here: [GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to root your Galaxy SIII & More!(ROMs/CWM/Stock) - xda-developers
and scroll down to SECTION 5 of the first post.

From there, you can download ODIN the stock ICS image for your phone, since you want to go back to ICS, that would be the "Official VRALG1 4.0.4" image.

Technically, the instructions listed on here on this XDA page are the same as in the first link I posted above, just a lot more condensed. Again, only reference that first link for more detailed instructions with screenshots on how to use ODIN.

WARNING: Doing this will completely wipe your phone. Backup whatever you can

WARNING: In no way do I guarantee this will work -- just posting the instructions that others have put online.

cdjohn81

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all ur help it all sounds confusing and scarry so ill hold if a while and hope that foxfi developers can get around it

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You could also use portable wifi hotspot from the play store it works with jelly bean. It's what I was using before I rooted.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Its due to their latest update. Mine does it and I pay for tethering. I've resetted twice to no avail.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you pay for tethering, it should work just fine... Sending this from my nexus10 tethered to my S3 with latest firmware. Just use Verizon Mobile Hotspot if you pay for it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD