1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 Multitasking

Hello Android Central,

I am a longtime CrackBerry.com Member and this my first post on Android Central. I would like to find out what the "multitasking" is like on an S3. On the BlackBerry PlayBook (and I think BB10 devices) you can visit a website, say youtube.com and start playing a video, minimize the browser and start taking pictures, all while the youtube video still plays without ever stopping. Can this be done on the S3?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Multitasking

In general, you can run pretty much anything in the background with the S3. You can be playing a game, minimize it to take pictures and email the pictures, and open up the game again right where you were before. I don't know if you can do the example you ask about, though; whether it's the YouTube app or browser based, any video I play pauses when I return to the home screen, but it remains open and paused at the point it was when you left it.

The great thing about the S3 (at least the US version) is that it has 2 GB of RAM, so you can have multiple big apps open at once with no trouble at all.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your answer. I used my co workers S3 for a little while but I was looking for something that handles multitasking in a manner comparable to the way my PlayBook does, and the S3 doesn't. It is a very decent phone though.

Quote Originally Posted by bounce007 View Post
    Thanks for your answer. I used my co workers S3 for a little while but I was looking for something that handles multitasking in a manner comparable to the way my PlayBook does, and the S3 doesn't. It is a very decent phone though.
    Buy a BB10 device.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I will buy a BB10 device but work is giving me some money to buy a second phone separate and apart from my personal phone, and I wanted to get either a Windows phone or Android Phone

Quote Originally Posted by bounce007 View Post
    I will buy a BB10 device but work is giving me some money to buy a second phone separate and apart from my personal phone, and I wanted to get either a Windows phone or Android Phone
    Well for goodness sake don't buy a Windows phone. That would just be silly.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

The problem is, QNX is a really good, mature (heck, it's OLD!) UNIX-ish mutltitasking OS and, like Windows, can keep multiple sessions open and active. Android can run some things in the background, but it's not as graceful about it as QNX. And I'm with you. As soon as the Z10 shows up for sale, I'm all over it. Crackberry is yelling "It's here! It's here!" But until I can, you know, BUY it, it's not really.