Anyone Else Run Into This?

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So, we've got four smart phones on our business account. One by one, as we've upgraded, Verizon has stripped away our unlimited data plans.

When this happened to my phone, I grilled the Verizon rep about it, trying to determine if I was going to be routinely going over my data limit. The response: "Your record shows that you've never exceeded the data limit. You'll be fine."

Well, in the six months since I got the S3, I've been charged for overages 4 times -- without changing anything in the way I use my phone.

I figure there are two options:

1. The S3 uses more data, even at rest.
2. The Verizon rep lied.

Anyone else have this happen? What did you do about it?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So, we've got four smart phones on our business account. One by one, as we've upgraded, Verizon has stripped away our unlimited data plans.

When this happened to my phone, I grilled the Verizon rep about it, trying to determine if I was going to be routinely going over my data limit. The response: "Your record shows that you've never exceeded the data limit. You'll be fine."

Well, in the six months since I got the S3, I've been charged for overages 4 times -- without changing anything in the way I use my phone.

2. The Verizon rep lied.

Probably a little from column A, little from column B.

I don't necessarily know if the S3 uses more data as much as it that newer 4G phones are able to consume it easier and people tend to run more data hungry apps (because more and more keep becoming available). It's really is a catch-22, and it sucks. I paid retail for my S3 just to keep unlimited data, but who knows how long VZW will actually let me hold onto it....

As far as what you can do about it, your only option is probably to upgrade your plan to include more data...that or keep paying overage charges. That, or find more wifi networks to connect to throughout the day.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's the deal... I started a thread back around September about this very thing. Obviously, Verizon didn't fix a damned thing. I assume that you are talking about one single phone and not that you have been charged four times based on the usage on the four different devices -- one overage event on each device. If that's the case... you being charge for overages on the same phone, respond back and I will continue. If you audit your bill and you are charge only once per device X four devices, then you simply contact Verizon for an adjustment and refund. Let us know where you stand.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Here's the deal... I started a thread back around September about this very thing. Obviously, Verizon didn't fix a damned thing. I assume that you are talking about one single phone and not that you have been charged four times based on the usage on the four different devices -- one overage event on each device. If that's the case... you being charge for overages on the same phone, respond back and I will continue. If you audit your bill and you are charge only once per device X four devices, then you simply contact Verizon for an adjustment and refund. Let us know where you stand.
I am referring to my phone (the main one on the account, which has four cell phones on it, each with it's own data plan) going "over" the allotted/allowed amount of data in a one-month period, despite Verizon checking my account history and assuring me that I never used that much data when I was on the "unlimited" plan.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My usage has climbed from 60mb with my TBolt to 95mb with the SIII. I sill have unlimited data after my upgrade so usage isn't a problem, but I do use more data with the Galaxy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

2. The Verizon rep lied.

Probably a little from column A, little from column B.

I don't necessarily know if the S3 uses more data as much as it that newer 4G phones are able to consume it easier and people tend to run more data hungry apps (because more and more keep becoming available). It's really is a catch-22, and it sucks. I paid retail for my S3 just to keep unlimited data, but who knows how long VZW will actually let me hold onto it....

As far as what you can do about it, your only option is probably to upgrade your plan to include more data...that or keep paying overage charges. That, or find more wifi networks to connect to throughout the day.

It's probably the 2nd. And as for the response of it using more than other smartphones is a lie. A smartphone depends on what you are using in the background (like syncing, updating) and also.. What you use and how you use it. When a phone uses data... Well... Data is data. There is no way two different smartphones can download the same size file yet one will use more data... It's simply by use.

If i was you I wouldn't of let that fly. I would of talked to a manager ASAP about that being stripped when you weren't warned about it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My opinion, from the same issue, is that no one's lying to you...when I looked back at my old records it was true that I used less data with my old phones. But I used my old phones less. I find that as time goes on, and phones get faster and easier to use, I use them more and use more data as a result. 4G is even worse, which is why Verizon doesn't want anyone on 4G on unlimited data. Any one that gets a 4G phone gets scammed out of their unlimited data plan unless the customer can come up with a better scam (which I've heard of now, by the way).

Anyways, wireless is as bad of a racket as any U.S. ISP...they all rip us off, and there's really nothing we can do about it. I suppose that you could start your own wireless company, but you end up leasing services from one of the biggies, so that doesn't lead anywhere interesting.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

2. The Verizon rep lied.

Have you used the built in data usage app to determine if your data usage agrees with Verizon. It will also point to the data hogs.
Use WiFi.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I might be wrong but.....isn't it true that once you go to the shared plans (tiered data) those same 4 phones would now be sharing ONE data plan vs. When they were on individual 'unlimited' and each had thier own? So it would make sense that you are going over.

4 individual = 4 unlimited data plans
4 shared tiered = 1 data plan
( 2 gb, 4 gb, 6 gb etc.)

Sent from my Thunderbolt. Hoping to be a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The OP never said they were on a shared plan, just a business plan.

As for the higher use of data, as mentioned previously, the S3 will use the same amount of data as any other smart phone. Overages could be due to apps, as mentioned, or even the browser connecting to sites that show in full desktop mode versus mobile mode.

These are just a few ways that it could happen. Streaming audio or video at HD resolution will pile up the data use quickly as well. If you use the wifi hotspot feature for some reason, that too could add up.

Most people don't realize the easy ways that data use can grow in what seems to be exponential numbers in a short time.

Make sure things like your weather apps only sync every few hours or once a day, turn off positioning with triangulation (uses cell data to locate position) and as mentioned, use wifi as much as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital