Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Trading my s3,Activation questions

    ok so il be trading my s3 with my friends iphone ONLY for a few weeks for reasons unsaid. so do i just swap phones and activate? and what do i do with my SIM card in the s3? does my friend need to buy a new sim card himself? how much $ is a sim?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    This might be a question best for the a verizon rep. But yes I suspect they would need a sim card of their own. I know that verizon will usually replace them for free for you but have heard a $10 price tag else where. Not sure how it would work for a person needing to get one for a traded or purchased used phone.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    nyry's Avatar

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    You guys can both just log on to my Verizon and switch them on you respective accounts there. You guys need each others IMEI or serial numbers (in the iphone its in settings, general, about phone, and for the Galaxy S3 its in settings, about phone, status) he will need to get a new sim card I believe for the GS3 temporarily, but it shouldn't cost him anything. You guys can switch back by doing the reverse process that you did to switch in the first place online. Remember to keep YOUR sim in a safe place

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,

    If it is an iphone 5,just swap sims, that should be it. No need to get new sim cards, though even if you need one, they are free. If some place tries to charge you just call Verizon, they have mailed me sims for free. Note that they ship 2 day, and when I did it, it required a signature

    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    nyry's Avatar

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    If it is an iphone 5,just swap sims, that should be it. No need to get new sim cards, though even if you need one, they are free. If some place tries to charge you just call Verizon, they have mailed me sims for free. Note that they ship 2 day, and when I did it, it required a signature

    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
    Yeah don't go to a "Verizon premium retailer" they will charge you 15 bucks for a new sim make sure it's just a regular VW store

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    thanks guys! sooo easiest way ive heard in this post is just to swap sims? no need to call for activation n what not?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    broadwayblues's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Both of you should just meet at a Verizon corporate store. The guy getting the S3 will need a sim card anyway.

    The iPhone 5 uses a sim even smaller than the one in the S3.

    So just got to VZW and get it taken care of quickly.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Quote Originally Posted by nyry View Post
    Yeah don't go to a "Verizon premium retailer" they will charge you 15 bucks for a new sim make sure it's just a regular VW store

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

    Yeah, I always go to a Verizon corporate store. Never an issue
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblues View Post
    Both of you should just meet at a Verizon corporate store. The guy getting the S3 will need a sim card anyway.

    The iPhone 5 uses a sim even smaller than the one in the S3.

    So just got to VZW and get it taken care of quickly.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that you would need an adapter for the s3 , and you can just cut the micro size to nano. But really, just go to a Verizon corporate store and they will take care of you.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    I am almost but not quite going to thread-jack. Please let us know how this works out for you - I am considering the same thing. I have also read one person in one thread (who may have been mistaken) saying that if you put a 3G only phone on a 4G plan for more than a few days you lose your 4G. I don't think I buy that, but in these days of carriers rap... ummm, I mean monetizing every move you make, it wouldn't surprise me.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I am almost but not quite going to thread-jack. Please let us know how this works out for you - I am considering the same thing. I have also read one person in one thread (who may have been mistaken) saying that if you put a 3G only phone on a 4G plan for more than a few days you lose your 4G. I don't think I buy that, but in these days of carriers rap... ummm, I mean monetizing every move you make, it wouldn't surprise me.
    No, same plan for 3g or 4g. You can switch any time between smartphones regardless of data capabilities
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
  12. #12  
    nyry's Avatar

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

    Default Re: Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    No, same plan for 3g or 4g. You can switch any time between smartphones regardless of data capabilities
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
    As long as you don't go through Verizon and purchase a phone by using your upgrade because that voids your unlimited data

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default Trading my s3,Activation questions

    Once you switch back from a 4g phone to a 3G you will lose unlimited data once trying to switch back to the 4g phone. If u have unlimited data. That's what happened to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Just got my S3... Two questions???
    By bdecastro77 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
  2. Looking to trade my sprint galaxy s3 32gb for a optimus g
    By domo22 in forum Marketplace Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM
  3. I got my Galaxy s3 :)! Any questions?
    By 303kush in forum T-Mobile Galaxy S3
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 05:46 PM
  4. Possibly trading my Evo 4G for Nexus S - Couple of question
    By colestein in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 02:06 PM
  5. Just got my Tbolt. Activating question
    By steelcurtain11 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions