Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default S3 or Maxx HD?

Okay, I have tried the iPhone 5, and now am coming back to Android. My question is, can anyone help me to decide between the Maxx HD and an S3? I had the original Maxx, and really liked it. I think that Moto has the best build quality and radios, but I am not very familiar with the attributes beyond that , compared to the S3. If anyone has owned both devices, could you please chime in with your likes and dislikes of both phones? TIA!

Default Re: S3 or Maxx HD?

It just so happens I have them both, and when the mood strikes I swap the SIM between them. I just spent two weeks with the S3 and this morning I swapped the SIM back to the MaxxHD. Every time I do that, I always say "I love this phone. I should use it more often" and it never matters WHICH phone I'm swapping to. The Maxx feels like a d*** brick, and I mean that in a good way. It just oozes quality in your hand. Battery is awesome, the screen is great, but it's not quite as big and bright, or quite as screamingly fast, as the S3. The S3 smokes through apps, the screen is amazing, and it's slim and light. So sorry, no help here except to say both phones are frikkin works of art. They both have strong and weak points, and I really like both of them.

I can only compare to the Razr Maxx. I have the S3, The rest of my family has the Maxx. If I had to do it again, I would take the Maxx; stronger GPS, WI-Fi, and phone reception signals. The S3 is better in the video/multimedia department, but the stronger radio signals are more important to me. There's been too many times when I couldn't find a signal (any that I mentioned) but the Maxx gets it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaad_g View Post
    I can only compare to the Razr Maxx. I have the S3, The rest of my family has the Maxx. If I had to do it again, I would take the Maxx; stronger GPS, WI-Fi, and phone reception signals. The S3 is better in the video/multimedia department, but the stronger radio signals are more important to me. There's been too many times when I couldn't find a signal (any that I mentioned) but the Maxx gets it every time.
    The only thing I'd dispute there is GPS. I've found both the Maxx and MaxxHD to take a bit longer to get a lock and, if you are running something like GPS Essentials, it tends to lose sync or something - the display goes to all yellow characters and suddenly you are going somewhere close to lightspeed. The S3 locks up fast and doesn't do that. As for radio signals, I've never had either phone drop voice or lose data, except in the Zone of Doom, which is Route 90, about 2 miles east of the 271 split. No one gets a signal there. I think there is a time/space disturbance.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

I dunno, since the JB update my S3 gps is totally random. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just quits halfway home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblues View Post
    I dunno, since the JB update my S3 gps is totally random. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just quits halfway home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Are we going to see you on one of those Darwin Awards as you try to drive to the south pole? Sorry - couldn't resist. I use my phone as a GPS when I don't have any choice, since it seems like every time I do, someone calls and I have to answer, then I lose the route. So I keep a Garmin in the car. But it works fairly well for geocaching when I leave the GPSMAP at home.

When I upgraded a month ago, I got the Maxx HD. It is a great phone and Motorola has eexcellent build quality. Had a Droid X before for 20 months and never had to be replaced. All that said after two weeks I exchanged the Razr for the S3. The deal breaker for me on the Maxx HD was the screen size. Useable screen is only like 4.4 inches due to the on screen buttons. If I'm buying a 4.7 inch screen phone I want to be able to use all of it. Spreadsheets are a great example. The S3 is a great phone, fast, responsive, beautiful screen and the camera is better then the Razr, also good battery (not like the Maxx HD) but good enough I get the full day with about 3 hours of screen on time and still have 30% left at the end of the day.

The on-screen buttons on the Razr was a really poor design idea.

I had the Razr Maxx and switched to the S3 about 5 months ago or so. I LOVED my Maxx but I really liked a lot of the features on Touchwiz so I decided to try an S3. I haven't regretted a single second of that decision, even though there's times I miss the battery on the Maxx. The Maxx HD fixed a lot of the aspects I didn't like about the regular Maxx so it's probably an even tighter race between the two now. If it was me, I would buy a cheap used phone to use until April and then I'd jump all over the S4. Usually I do not recommend waiting for "the next big thing" because there's always something bigger and better around the corner. But in this case we have a pretty reliable timetable laid out for us and so I personally would go S4.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I had the Razr Maxx and switched to the S3 about 5 months ago or so. I LOVED my Maxx but I really liked a lot of the features on Touchwiz so I decided to try an S3. I haven't regretted a single second of that decision, even though there's times I miss the battery on the Maxx. The Maxx HD fixed a lot of the aspects I didn't like about the regular Maxx so it's probably an even tighter race between the two now. If it was me, I would buy a cheap used phone to use until April and then I'd jump all over the S4. Usually I do not recommend waiting for "the next big thing" because there's always something bigger and better around the corner. But in this case we have a pretty reliable timetable laid out for us and so I personally would go S4.
    I think that I may follow your advice, except that I will just keep my iPhone for a while. I would really like to see the Moto/Google X-phone before I commit to an S4 or anything else. If it has all the features, plus Moto build quality and battery, it will be a killer phone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I now have a flawless S3 that I will trade for a Razr HD or Maxx HD.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums