Galaxy SIII Batteries...

GiftedSoul

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just got my replacement for the HTC 8X (Verizon gave me the Galaxy SIII because I had too many 8X replacements). The one thing they didn't replace or give me was a battery or the battery door (I didn't know about this as I just switched to verizon). So, I was told to go to amazon and get the battery and I found one that is supposed to be OEM sold by 360 Mobile Solutions. I'm still a bit skeptical as it had some negative reviews as most batteries do but I wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with the batteries from Amazon. I was going to get one from AT&T but I wasn't sure if it would work in my model. Thanks for the answers in advance!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Wait - they swapped PHONE MAKE and MODELS for you but did not supply a battery and back? That is not a Verizon thing - that is an idiot behind the counter thing. If you are swapping one phone for another, identical phone, yeah, they do that (although it's the battery only in my experience). But swapping for a different phone type and then saying you need to spend cash to get a battery and back? I would talk to the manager of the store on that one.

GiftedSoul

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I talked to the supervisor at Verizon's online store and this their new policy when it comes to alternate replacements. It's crazy. I would think that if I bought a brand new 8X with a battery and battery installed, then I should at least get a USED phone with the same.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, if that's so then it's one more point against Verizon. That policy is pure idiocy. I'd be real leery of batteries that claim they are OEM but which are cheap. Knockoffs are a plague on Amazon, and they all claim to be OEM. I don't know how you can tell who is lying, but chances are it approaches 100%. You might look at the Android Central store and see what they have. As for the back, I'm sorry. Maybe someone smarter than me can help.

RickG.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 Batteries...

That is crazy that they will not give you a replacement back or battery for a different replacement phone.
Id be wary of batteries off of Amazon as well. I will say I bought this setup and it has worked well. I don't get quite the battery life as the stock battery but it's pretty close. You also get a spare and a charger which will more then make up for it.
Amazon.com: QCELL 2X SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 2100MAH BATTERY + FREE UNIVERSAL BATTERY CHARGER (COMPATIBLE WITH SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 GT-I9300, SPRINT L710, VERIZON I535, T-MOBILE T999, AT&T SAMSUNG I747, U.S. CELLULAR R530)**WITH NFC CAPABILITIES FOR S BEAM

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

There is NO way this is Verizon's actual policy. I'd call Customer Service and get it straightened out. What they gave you is hardly a replacement if you can't use it.

Granted, that's just my opinion, but it seems ludicrous. I've heard plenty of accounts on this forum alone of folks getting their devices switched with no mention of this whatsoever.

As far as batteries go, most of the time you order one, you are NOT going to get a back-plate to go with it unless it's an extended battery of some kind that requires a custom battery cover, so the advice to just "order one from Amazon" is even more ridiculous.

FWIW, if you really need one, you can get an OEM (Samsung) battery from right here at AC:
Samsung 2100mAh Standard Battery with NFC for Galaxy S3 - Android Batteries - ShopAndroid
Again, you're NOT going to get a battery cover if you order this.

You could also go the extended battery route, which will at least include a back cover...but I still think it's crazy that you'd have to do that...
Seidio Innocell 3500mAh Extended Life Battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Batteries - ShopAndroid (no NFC)
Seidio Innocell 3500mAh Super Extended Life Battery w/ NFC for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Batteries - ShopAndroid (w/ NFC)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I have to agree with Paintdrinkingpete. This just seems so far out there as to verge on insane. Definitely call Verizon. Don't call the store. A replacement you can't use is not a replacement. They DID ask you to keep your old battery when replacing your phone with an identical one, but you never had to buy anything. The more I think about it the more it seems to me that these people are misinformed or indulging in a bit of a salesmanship tactic called lying.

GiftedSoul

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

True. I just called Verizon and they're standing by that policy. But it was THEIR brand new phone that died in a month. Their lucky I didn't ask for an i5 (I probably wouldn't have gotten it though).

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

You called Verizon and they confirmed that the new policy is if you have to get sent a new model phone because they can't get you a working warranty replacement, you have to buy a battery and back cover?

I'm dumbfounded...you already have to buy new accessories for the different model phone, and now they don't even send you a complete phone. Hopefully as this gets out, Verizon takes some heat over it because this policy is absurd.

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

This same thing happened to me when they had to replace my TBolt 9 times. When they send you a replacement phone, it is a refurb phone,and none of them come with backs or batteries. I just went on Amazon and bought extended battery, and they all come with a back. But, because you got a refurb phone they always expect you to keep your current back and battery, but when you get a different model, you're on own.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I left Verizon last year after the same thing happened to me. They exchanged my phone to the thunderbolt but refused to give me a battery or back. The manager said I could purchase a battery at best buy cheap but wouldn't address the issue of where to get a back.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

afmracer6

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Im using Anker brand batteries from amazon.
they had a 100 good reviews. im pleased after a couple of months.
two batteries and a charger for $14 not bad.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They do have a kit that includes the charger, battery and back, but Verizon rarely sends it out. Typical cpo replacement is phone only. You can ask for a phone with an embedded battery as a replacement to avoid this issue. Fyi, a good percentage of the time cpos come with the back even though Verizon says it does not. No guarantees of course.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I can also confirm that you have to buy a back cover and a battery if you decide to change device models. I bought the gs3 cover and battery from the Verizon tech who authorized my swap. It cost about $47 for both and he did tell me I could get it cheaper on amazon but since new phone was being overnighted I didn't want to wait. I was lucky enough to get the S3 as a replacement for my Droid Charge, so it was still a great bargain. I am one happy VZN customer about now! Love this phone!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I can also confirm that you have to buy a back cover and a battery if you decide to change device models. I bought the gs3 cover and battery from the Verizon tech who authorized my swap. It cost about $47 for both and he did tell me I could get it cheaper on amazon but since new phone was being overnighted I didn't want to wait. I was lucky enough to get the S3 as a replacement for my Droid Charge, so it was still a great bargain. I am one happy VZN customer about now! Love this phone!

So, let me see if I understand this fully;

You go through several screwed up phones, all of the same model. So you have been inconvenienced by bringing your phone back multiple times, only to have it replaced with another malfunctioning piece of junk. During this time, your malfunctioning phone most likely cannot access the very service you are paying for. I am quite certain Verizon is not going to pro-rate your bill for that lost usage time.
Verizon finally deigns to replace your continually messed up phone with a model which you may have better luck with. BUT, you are expected to buy the battery and back so you can, you know, actually USE what you are paying for. And somehow this seems like a good idea to Verizon????? Am I the only one seeing something badly wrong here?

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That may be the case with others but not me. I was on my second Charge. Had the Charge since Sept 2011. To be able to swap out to the GS3 for $47 was a deal. I could have chosen to get the cover and batt from amazon, but didn't want the delay. They would have swapped for another Charge but I wanted a newer phone with less problems.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
OK, if that's so then it's one more point against Verizon. That policy is pure idiocy. I'd be real leery of batteries that claim they are OEM but which are cheap. Knockoffs are a plague on Amazon, and they all claim to be OEM. I don't know how you can tell who is lying, but chances are it approaches 100%. You might look at the Android Central store and see what they have. As for the back, I'm sorry. Maybe someone smarter than me can help.

I think the fact Verizon is allowing a swap to another device is pretty generous.... They could always turnaround and keep to the terms of their upgrade policy which would be much costlier...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I think the fact Verizon is allowing a swap to another device is pretty generous.... They could always turnaround and keep to the terms of their upgrade policy which would be much costlier...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

The point is, it's not necessarily an upgrade. Say I wanted to swap after 6 Razr HDs to an S3. About the same price - not an upgrade. Lateral move. If it WERE an upgrade I'd say yeah, you're right. Unless I'm missing something here. Even then they are giving you a non-functioning phone. We have had to go through model swaps twice. After 3 same phone swaps and considerable loss of service, it was about d*** time they changed models for us. And they did it WITHOUT screwing us out of a battery and back.

Swapping to another device isn't generous. It's good, ethical business. Being treated well by a company shouldn't be looked on as anything more than expected. The mobile carriers are making what is technically called a BUTTLOAD of money off us - profits are through the roof. I think popping for a fifty cent (their cost) injection molding and a $10 (their cost) batter isn't too much to ask.

I guess I need to expand this. You signed a contract. You got a phone. Verizon took your $200 or whatever, took your contract and said, in effect - ok. We have a deal. I give you this phone for $200. In exchange for that you sign a contract that says you will pay us, every month for 2 years. X number of $$$. We in return will provide you that phone at a subsidized cost and service. They failed on two counts - the phone they are providing for your promise and cash does not work. Secondly, the service they promise is now inaccessible. The phone failed through no fault of your own, and moreover, every replacement we gave you also failed. THEY are liable, not you. Therefore THEY need to make you whole. Giving you a device you have to add more money to the pot for to make it useable is, well, if I were doing it I'd expect a lawsuit.