New here. Please help guys!! Getting desperate.

dll333

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, with a newly acquired GS3 after my last one got ran over by a truck... Not REALLY smart when it comes to doing backdoor stuff to android, but I'm trying my best.

so I'm having some major issues attempting to root my verizon GS3. I downloaded the samsung drivers, Odin, and an md5 file. I also flashed a bootchain file. I'm thinking I read a really bad step-by-step, because I was told it was an easy process. Now, I think my profile is corrupted or something, because when the phone boots, I get the Samsung logo with the word "Custom" and an unlocked lock on it, but when the OS starts, all my programs start crashing repeatedly, over and over. Email, Touchwiz, Badgeprovider, and a bunch of android.data.xxx.. just keeps coming up until I just have the background wallpaper, with no icons and nonresponsive buttons... the notification bar will still drop down, but all the options in it are nonresponsive as well.

I entered download mode, and my flash count is 1, with a custom binary setting and whatnot. I need to know what I need to do to finish the root, or at return the phone to working order. I am SOMETIMES able to get into the settings menu, but I'm not really able to do much. i can still get into recovery and download mode. Will reinstalling a stock rom fix my problem? I've tried several different places for some roms, but every time I get the same issue. Will going into recovery mode, doing a wipe, and reinstalling a stock rom work?

sorry for the trouble guys, and thank you in advance!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, with a newly acquired GS3 after my last one got ran over by a truck... Not REALLY smart when it comes to doing backdoor stuff to android, but I'm trying my best.

so I'm having some major issues attempting to root my verizon GS3. I downloaded the samsung drivers, Odin, and an md5 file. I also flashed a bootchain file. I'm thinking I read a really bad step-by-step, because I was told it was an easy process. Now, I think my profile is corrupted or something, because when the phone boots, I get the Samsung logo with the word "Custom" and an unlocked lock on it, but when the OS starts, all my programs start crashing repeatedly, over and over. Email, Touchwiz, Badgeprovider, and a bunch of android.data.xxx.. just keeps coming up until I just have the background wallpaper, with no icons and nonresponsive buttons... the notification bar will still drop down, but all the options in it are nonresponsive as well.

I entered download mode, and my flash count is 1, with a custom binary setting and whatnot. I need to know what I need to do to finish the root, or at return the phone to working order. I am SOMETIMES able to get into the settings menu, but I'm not really able to do much. i can still get into recovery and download mode. Will reinstalling a stock rom fix my problem? I've tried several different places for some roms, but every time I get the same issue. Will going into recovery mode, doing a wipe, and reinstalling a stock rom work?

sorry for the trouble guys, and thank you in advance!

The one thing to look out for is that there are different methods for rooting you must use depending on what software version your phone is when starting. Make sure you check your software version against the root instructions prior to starting. (Yes, I know it may be a little late for the OP...just putting this info out there).

Did you get custom recovery installed (CWM)? If so, this sound like it may just be a "fix permissions" issue. Boot to recovery* (See note below, to boot into recovery hold POWER, VOL+, and HOME buttons when booting), go to "Advanced" and run "Fix Permissions"

It will take a while, so be patient. After it's done, try to reboot it and see if that fixes it.

*If you're not sure if you have custom recovery, once you boot into recovery, you should see a heading at the top similar to "ClockworkMod Recovery v....". If you see that, you're good to go.

If that's not it or you can't into CWM or you still have other issues, let us know....

dll333

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I was definitely 4.1.1 when starting out

I do have custom recovery installed, but I just realized that I never installed any superuser or unlocked bootloader to my SD Card. Is this totally necessary? Could this be what's causing my issue?

I tried fixing permissions, but to no avail.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I was definitely 4.1.1 when starting out

I do have custom recovery installed, but I just realized that I never installed any superuser or unlocked bootloader to my SD Card. Is this totally necessary? Could this be what's causing my issue?

I tried fixing permissions, but to no avail.

I'd almost suggest starting from scratch...

Go here: [GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to root your Galaxy SIII & More!(ROMs/CWM/Stock) - xda-developers

This is all laid out in the instructions, but in case you are confused, what you want to do is start at SECTION 5. You probably already have the drivers and Odin, so just skip ahead and download the 4.1.1 pre-rooted image and proceed.

This will wipe your device! (sorry). After it boots up, go through the account setup wizard. I highly recommend waiting for Google Play store to finish restoring your apps (if you choose that option) before doing anything else -- you can check to see if Play Store is downloading apps by opening the play store, hit menu button and choose "My Apps", if you see apps being downloaded and installed, just let it do it's thing. If not, then move on....

Once you've finished section 5 and rebooted and all that, go back to SECTION 1, and start at step number 8.

That should get you all squared away...

dll333

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much Pete! That did get me all squared away, I'm back to stock now, so my phone works just like it did out of the box. I downloaded the VRBLK3 4.1.1, the full wipe that formats the sd and locks the bootloader. Now I'm a scrrrddd to try it again, perhaps I just need a better guide. My binary count is still 1, but I think that triangle app can fix that. I would still like to root, so I guess I'll try again.

So what I'll need to download after the drivers, and Odin, is which one? can you link? sorry to be such a bother, I'm just not very good at this.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you so much Pete! That did get me all squared away, I'm back to stock now, so my phone works just like it did out of the box. I downloaded the VRBLK3 4.1.1, the full wipe that formats the sd and locks the bootloader. Now I'm a scrrrddd to try it again, perhaps I just need a better guide. My binary count is still 1, but I think that triangle app can fix that. I would still like to root, so I guess I'll try again.

So what I'll need to download after the drivers, and Odin, is which one? can you link? sorry to be such a bother, I'm just not very good at this.

OK, great!

If I were in you're position, here's what I would do next if you want root:

[HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root + [TWRP] - Updated 02.05.2013 - xda-developers

Under first step, download the 4.1.1 image, choose the non-wipe one if you want to keep all your stuff!
If you're not sure how to extract the .7z file, just use 7zip
Follow through with the second step of flashing the image...you should be experienced at this now!

If you just want to be rooted, running stock you can stop right here.

If you want to install custom recovery and unlock bootloader (in other words, if you want to flash ROMs), the easiest method is probaby as suggested from Cyber Warrior's guide he posted here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html

Here's the important part of that post I just linked for you ... YOU'VE ALREADY DONE THE ROOT PROCESS, SO JUST START HERE:
*Congrats you should now be rooted! Continue following instructions for unlocking bootloader and flashing a custom recovery*

Step 8: Download the EZ-Unlock app to your device from HERE. (Only use version 1.2 for now as the latest version has issues!)

Step 9: Open app and select unlock, Now your unlocked...yup its that easy!

Step 10: Download the EZ-recovery app to your device from HERE.

Step 11: Open app and select recovery. Next tap pulldown menu, select CWM 6.0.1, then select flash.

afmracer6

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I did it a different way.
I found an odin version of the original Ics rom that the gs3 shipped with.
Odined back to 4.0.4 then used triangle away to get rid of the flash counter.
i then used the CASUAL app bu adam outler to root and unlock my bootloader.
Installed twrp from goomanager.
and flashed away.

if you need them i can find the links to the files.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney