Data turning off when screen shuts off

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why this suddenly started happening. I like to listen to Pandora, but now whenever the screen shuts off, the data connection shuts off.

When I hit the home button to wake up the phone, I can see that the 4G indicator in the notification bar is missing and then it pops up and the music starts streaming again. This has only started in the last few days. I've looked through all the settings and I can't find where I can turn this on or off. I've looked through the threads here, no luck.

Can anyone tell me where this setting is? Or why it might have been switched on without my doing it?

Thanks.

Steve

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to find a setting like that on my Verizon SGSIII, but if you're with a different carrier there may be a setting that you inadvertently changed.
Have you turned any power saving settings on?
Any recent application installations that modify system behavior?
Are you rooted?
I don't use Pandora - has there been a recent update to the app?
Have you checked the Pandora settings?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Verizon too. Power saving is not on and I haven't downloaded any apps for a while.

I'm not rooted, but I use Go Launcher.

It seems I can use a radio app that is streaming and it won't shut off when the screen turns off. If the app downloads a song or podcast it plays the whole thing and then, if the screen has shut off, it can't get the next one because data is off. When I wake the screen, the data indicator pops back on (in the notification bar) and the music starts again.

I have this problem with three different apps: Pandora, Iheartradio and Stitcher.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, all I can tell you is that I use both the Google Music app and the Amazon Music app to stream songs on a mobile data connection and have no problem with either of them when the screen turns off.
What kind of security do you have enabled? None/Swipe/Pattern/Password?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

scott32746

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I 'm having a similar problem. About once a week I have to go into. setting → wifi → menu →advance and change sleep to never.

Not sure why it's changing to never from always in Keep wifi on during sleep

Check out that setting

Verizon. S3 JB4.1.1 stock

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it didn't work. The problem is with data over the cell network. Honestly I haven't checked to see if I'm having the same problem at home with my wifi. I'll have to check that tonight.

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I found it. There is a setting in Go Power Master that shuts off data when the screen shuts off. I never selected it, in fact I haven't opened that app in months. It must have defaulted to that setting in the last update.

I wonder if I can delete Power Master and not effect the Go Launcher?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was researching the this for the past 15 min and couldn't find anything.. Was going to come and say it was an app that may be doing it but I see you found it.

Glad your fixed though.. That would drive me crazy as well! :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate your time and effort and the help of the others who posted to this thread! This is a great community and I knew I'd get help here. Just having others to hash things out with helps a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995