Using my S3 as a hotspot?

slowurroll

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. New to the forum and have a question. I am wondering if I can use my S3 as a hotspot without having to set up a data plan. A friend told me I could root the phone and download a hotspot app to do it for free. But he said I HAVE to root it to do that. I found a hotspot app I can use but I am wondering if I will get charged for using Verizon's network if I do it. The problem I am running into is the place I'm staying has wi-fi but there are so many people using it, it bogs down the whole connection. So I am wondering if I could use my phone to connect to the web instead. Would I need to have my phone act as the hotspot and have it connect to their wi-fi? Or does using the hotspot app run through the Verizon network data? Or are there any other options that don't cost a lot (if anything)? Thanks everyone.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've used portable wifi hotspot free from the play store and it worked great without having to root.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

slowurroll

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded that actually. Did you receive any charges from your carrier? Or did you have your phone connected to wi-fi first then use it as a hotspot?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
...without having to set up a data plan.

When you turn on the hotspot, it turns off the wifi and uses the carrier's data. It doesn't function as a wifi extender (if that's what you're asking).

The problem I am running into is the place I'm staying has wi-fi but there are so many people using it, it bogs down the whole connection. So I am wondering if I could use my phone to connect to the web instead. Would I need to have my phone act as the hotspot and have it connect to their wi-fi? Or does using the hotspot app run through the Verizon network data? Or are there any other options that don't cost a lot (if anything)? Thanks everyone.

I really wish I understood what you're asking. It sounds like you're having issues with a slow wi-fi connection so you want to connect your phone (to the slow wi-fi connection) then have it function like a hotspot? That's not going to help, even if it could act as a wifi extender, which it can't. You know, since you'd still be connected to the slow wifi network.

I think maybe you don't understand the hotspot. All it does is let's you connect a laptop or tablet (or other device) to the phone so you can use your carrier's data plan (and thus get internet on your laptop or tablet). While it might make sense to have it function as a wifi extender (so you can place it 50 feet away and extend the range of the wifi network), I don't think you can do that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded that actually. Did you receive any charges from your carrier? Or did you have your phone connected to wi-fi first then use it as a hotspot?

No never seen any changes. Also it doesn't work with wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I too am a little confused over the OP's exact intentions, so here's some info that may or not be relevant to the question at hand...

1. Verizon's Mobile Hotspot (MH) app. Verizon has their builtin MH app that can be used to "tether" the phone's data connection to a computer or other device via wifi. *IF* you have a tiered data plan (i.e. not unlimited data) with Verizon, you can use this app free of charge. If you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, VZW charges something to the tune of $30/month for access.

2. Other hotspot/tethering apps. There are quite a few other tethering apps out there. Some are wifi hotspots, some require the phone to be connected to the computer via USB. Some require root access to work, some don't. Some work very well on the S3, some do not or only work on certain software versions. Personally, I don't have the experience to be able to actually recommend one hotspot/tether app over another, but I'm sure there are others here who can.

The obvious caveat to either method is that any data you use over a tethered connection does, in most cases, count against you data plan -- so that's something to watch out for. Also, using a tether app used to be against Verizon's TOS (unless you subscribed to their MH service), however, I have read that current FCC regulations regarding the LTE spectrum Verizon uses prohibits them from preventing users from using tether apps (but they are still allowed to charge you to use their app if you choose to do so). This is just what I've read...I could be 100% wrong about this and do not claim to be an expert on this subject.

In ALL cases, we are talking about using your phone as a gateway to connect to the Internet on other devices via the phone's MOBILE DATA. These are alternatives to wifi when a connection is not available. These will not improve an existing wifi connection nor extend it. In almost all cases of using tether apps myself, you must have wifi turned OFF on your phone to even activate it...so...yes, you do at the very least have to have some kind of data plan on your phone for this to even be relevant.

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Two Choices,

1. Root your phone as your friend suggested, and find a Rom with HOTspot built in
2. Download Foxfi(Pay for the Premium) and use hotspot that way. No you will not be charged by Verizon, however you do risk the chance of the Hotspot not working due to updates etc.

Goodluck

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers