Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    i have updated to jellybean and my phone has been restarting on its on lately, while im using twicca on chrome or whatever it just restarts, and there is a custom lock that shows as well, anyone have a fix for this id greatly appreciate it.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    Quote Originally Posted by revofev View Post
    i have updated to jellybean and my phone has been restarting on its on lately, while im using twicca on chrome or whatever it just restarts, and there is a custom lock that shows as well, anyone have a fix for this id greatly appreciate it.
    As much as I hate to say it, you're probably gonna need to do a factory reset.

    I could go on and on about awful default update installation methods are on Android phones, especially OTA updates, but I've already done that too many times. For what it's worth, it's not the update that is lousy, the update itself is great...it's the method of deployment that usually screws up people's phones. Most rooted folks who install ROMs are quite familiar with the recipe for success when it comes to installing new software, but basically when updates are applied, existing user data on the phone should be wiped first. It would be nice if Android provided a better way for un-rooted users to backup ALL user data to facilitate this...but as far as I know there isn't.

    Regardless, your issue will most likely be fixed by doing a factory reset on the phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, you're probably gonna need to do a factory reset.

    I could go on and on about awful default update installation methods are on Android phones, especially OTA updates, but I've already done that too many times. For what it's worth, it's not the update that is lousy, the update itself is great...it's the method of deployment that usually screws up people's phones. Most rooted folks who install ROMs are quite familiar with the recipe for success when it comes to installing new software, but basically when updates are applied, existing user data on the phone should be wiped first. It would be nice if Android provided a better way for un-rooted users to backup ALL user data to facilitate this...but as far as I know there isn't.

    Regardless, your issue will most likely be fixed by doing a factory reset on the phone.
    back up contacts and pictures then factory reset? anyway i can back up apps or will they all appear when i log into my google account? also when i factory reset will that custom lock screen disappear?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    Quote Originally Posted by revofev View Post
    back up contacts and pictures then factory reset? anyway i can back up apps or will they all appear when i log into my google account? also when i factory reset will that custom lock screen disappear?
    Yes, you'll want to backup what you can. Your contacts should be synced with Google, but if not, back those up. There's no way to backup apps if you're unrooted, however they should automatically re-install when you log back into your Google account once the factory reset completes.

    I've been rooted for so long, I honestly can't recall if a factory reset deletes the contents of the internal SD card, so you may want to back that up as well. Your external SD card (if you have one) should be fine.

    I'm also not sure exactly what you mean by "custom lock screen" ... you referring to something that appears during the bootup animation, or on the phone's lock screen? Bottom line is, I don't really know about that one.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    it appears during the bootup animation, its a unlocked lock, i was rooted then bricked my phone and then i had to follow instructions to fix it and thats when the unlocked lock appeared.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    this is what i get when i reboot my phone (the second picture) and i also factory reset it still shows up, can someone please help me get this off my phone? if i have a problem i dont want verizon to not help me because of this on my screen. (this isnt my picture)

  7. #7  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    How did you unlock your phone (not root, mind you - how did you unlock the bootloader)?
    If you used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...meff.ez.unlock you should be able to use it to re-lock the bootloader.
    That should take care of the padlock issue.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    How did you unlock your phone (not root, mind you - how did you unlock the bootloader)?
    If you used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...meff.ez.unlock you should be able to use it to re-lock the bootloader.
    That should take care of the padlock issue.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    That sounds right. For what it's worth, just doing a factory reset will not fix that...but I also doubt that's the cause of the issues you are having, so it may not be worth worrying about right now.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: updated to jellybean, phone restarts every day

    checked on xda forum and my issue is fixed

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie, just updated to Jellybean, what's the easiest way to root my phone?
    By Defcon One in forum Verizon Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM
  2. Was there an update to this phone and I missed it
    By tmax1964 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM
  3. How to update to Jellybean?
    By nipcarlover in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM
  4. phone restarts every time I Disconnect from computer
    By dingbat005 in forum AT&T Galaxy S II
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
  5. EPIC FAIL? Slow, freezing, restarting every day...
    By jdwoody76 in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions