Screen not shutting down

tiggervd

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed quite often my screen will dim, but not shut off after the time I have it set to. This can really eat up the battery. I can't figure out why it will work just fine for a while then suddenly stopped. Is there a setting i might be missing? Thanks.... Vickie

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed quite often my screen will dim, but not shut off after the time I have it set to. This can really eat up the battery. I can't figure out why it will work just fine for a while then suddenly stopped. Is there a setting i might be missing? Thanks.... Vickie

Mine does this occasionally, but only under 2 specific scenarios: (1) I've just plugged it in to charge or (2) I've just unplugged it from charging

Either one of these actions will cause the screen to turn on automatically (I've never been sure why), and if I don't manually turn off the screen after either of these 2 events, I've noticed that sometimes my phone's screen will stay illuminated indefinitely.

Not sure if that's what's happening to you; however for me, since I know what triggers it, I just always remember to turn the screen back off manually after I plug it in or unplug it from charger....

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine did this to me once and after power cycling the phone it seemed to go away. Double check the screen time out settings just to make sure there isn't a box you missed or isn't holding it's setting. But try resetting the phone. Seemed to resolve my issue. Also make sure it's not turning on in your pocket or other methods of bumping the keys to turn on the phone. Hope it helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

tiggervd

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I rebooted the phone and it seemed to work for awhile. But it eventually starts again. For example I checked my email, went back to the home screen. I set the phone down. It dimmed, but never went to the black screen. I'm baffled.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Vickie,
Did your phone always have this problem, or did it start recently?
Did it start around the time you received the OTA to Jelly Bean?
Have you installed any apps that modify the lock screen features, or something like Light Flow?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I rebooted the phone and it seemed to work for awhile. But it eventually starts again. For example I checked my email, went back to the home screen. I set the phone down. It dimmed, but never went to the black screen. I'm baffled.

Do you notice if it happens when plugged in, unplugged, or both? It took me a while to figure out that it primarily happened to mine only after the first time the screen came on immediately after I had plugged it in or unplugged it from the charger. Not saying you have the same problem, but it could still be related? I believe there's a setting, for example, to cause the screen to stay on while plugged in to charger. Also, some apps will force the screen to stay illuminated, so it could be that an app like that is getting "stuck" and forcing the screen to stay on?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you still on the stock ROM and kernel? There have been some issues with very recent CM-based kernels that cause video lag and the screen to remain powered and displaying either nothing or the last frame of an animation.