Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Receiving group texts problems.

I recently got my S3 and when I received a group message, it instead came as 100 different texts from different people, and would need to text each one back individually.
    Note: The group convo did not orignally come from me, it came from an Iphone usere
    Has this happened to anyone else? Please Help.

Default Re: Receiving group texts problems.

Common problem for everyone. Some people have been using GoSMS Pro, Handcent, Verizon messaging, or other 3rd party messaging apps to correct this. Stock app does not currently group messages. Also, 4.2 supposedly adds support for group messaging, but probably a ways off for Verizon users.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Actually in base form this is a correct statement - my wife cannot see group options (has no 3rd party app on her GS3). However, after I installed 3rd party app (Verizon Messaging) to account for group texting....I can now go back into stock messenger and it allows group conversations whether I initiate it or receive (shows a messge that it's converting to MMS vs SMS). It's quite strange - almost seems to be pulling some of the functionality from 3rd party app but I wouldn't of guessed that to be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor7617 View Post
    However, after I installed 3rd party app (Verizon Messaging) to account for group texting....I can now go back into stock messenger and it allows group conversations whether I initiate it or receive
    The Verizon messaging app is preinstalled on mine, but I disabled the app. Did you need to adjust settings in the Verizon app, or did you leave it at default?

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits_n_gravy View Post
    The Verizon messaging app is preinstalled on mine, but I disabled the app. Did you need to adjust settings in the Verizon app, or did you leave it at default?
    Not sure I completely understand your question. I have VZW but didn't have the app...downloaded from Play Store and made minimal setting changes to the cosmetics (font size, bubble colors, etc). No other changes were made and group texting works perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor7617 View Post
    Not sure I completely understand your question. I have VZW but didn't have the app...downloaded from Play Store and made minimal setting changes to the cosmetics (font size, bubble colors, etc). No other changes were made and group texting works perfectly!
    Sorry. I "thought" it came preinstalled, but you do indeed need to download from the Play store. So, your wife is using the stock app and the group messaging is working now because the Verizon app is installed, or she is exclusively using the Verizon messaging app? That's where I'm confused.

She is using the stock app WITHOUT the verizon 3rd party installed - she has NO group texting option or ability. Each comes in and goes out as separate text.

I have the verizon app installed and can use it or the stock. Both are acting the same and I have group texting option on stock. Note, on VZ app selecting multiple recepients it defaults to a group text (MMS) but you can option for a reply to group or just me. On stock, when selecting multiple recepients...you must manually select group bc default is SMS in which it will send same message out separatly to each person. When changed to 'group' it converts from SMS to MMS and acts exactly like the VZ app does. I hope this makes sense.
    Thanked by:

It does...I was just hoping there was some way to get the stock app to work properly without having to go with Verizon's app. MMS has been the only frustrating thing about my S3, but it's baffling that this is an issue because of how long texting has been around.