Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default signal booster?

    Has anyone tried the wilson repeaters and had good results in boosting verizon LTE signal in a weak area?
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    actually found a better solution for my situation

    YX550-VLTE-AWS SOHO datablast
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  4. #4  
    Ryano89's Avatar

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

    Default Re: signal booster?

    I may be interested in this as well, if it works.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
    Has anyone tried the wilson repeaters and had good results in boosting verizon LTE signal in a weak area?
    I have tried with very good results using wilson repeaters...they are simply the best. I needed the 4G and wilson has one that works very well from what I am told by a friend near where I live. We both have the same problem we have 2 or 3 bars outside our house but on the inside unless you are next to a south or west exposure window you get cut offs. I just did not want to pay the almost $800.00 for the wilson repeater which does the whole spectrum of VZW. I have ordered 2 zboost repeaters which will do all of the VZW spectrum and paid much less. I have been told by the seller they will work just as well. We will find out when they get here and I get them installed. These should work also if I switch cell phone carrier to at&t but I don't think the 4G VZW repeater will be the same for at&t as they are both being proprietary with the two. We don't have at&t 4G/LTE in this area now and really don't expect it anytime soon with what I am seeing from at&t. We just got the 3G from at&t about 1 year ago. We do have 4G/LTE from VZW which we got here in January 2013.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    I have tried with very good results using wilson repeaters...they are simply the best. I needed the 4G and wilson has one that works very well from what I am told by a friend near where I live. We both have the same problem we have 2 or 3 bars outside our house but on the inside unless you are next to a south or west exposure window you get cut offs. I just did not want to pay the almost $800.00 for the wilson repeater which does the whole spectrum of VZW. I have ordered 2 zboost repeaters which will do all of the VZW spectrum and paid much less. I have been told by the seller they will work just as well. We will find out when they get here and I get them installed. These should work also if I switch cell phone carrier to at&t but I don't think the 4G VZW repeater will be the same for at&t as they are both being proprietary with the two. We don't have at&t 4G/LTE in this area now and really don't expect it anytime soon with what I am seeing from at&t. We just got the 3G from at&t about 1 year ago. We do have 4G/LTE from VZW which we got here in January 2013.
    did you order the databoost for just data or did you get the voice plus data upgrade units? I also considered the wilson but after buying antennas and cables etc it's too expensive and there's too much installation involved. The databoost is 260 shipped, includes everything you need and looks much easier to install
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  7. #7  
    fillossofer's Avatar

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Be aware that on Feb 20, 2013 the FCC issued a directive that users obtain permission from their carriers before using signal boosters. The rule takes effect March 1. I'm not sure how they'll police this, but I'm guessing that if you're found to be using a repeater without permission there will be some consequence.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by fillossofer View Post
    Be aware that on Feb 20, 2013 the FCC issued a directive that users obtain permission from their carriers before using signal boosters. The rule takes effect March 1. I'm not sure how they'll police this, but I'm guessing that if you're found to be using a repeater without permission there will be some consequence.
    Not worried about that if the government really want to stick their nose that far into my life then they may want to come and take my guns as well.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
    did you order the databoost for just data or did you get the voice plus data upgrade units? I also considered the wilson but after buying antennas and cables etc it's too expensive and there's too much installation involved. The databoost is 260 shipped, includes everything you need and looks much easier to install
    I bought both as voice gets the cut offs as well as 3G in my house but not outside. We have a stucco house with metal roof there is also metal foil under the stucco and wife gets upset when she gets cut off with some of the BS sessions. We don't have a home phone anymore and don't have any plans of getting one. We are not really home enough to have one. Both were $433.00 shipped. I don't really know how soon VZW will be moving the Voice to VoLTE which will be on the data side and the other will not be needed.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by fillossofer View Post
    Be aware that on Feb 20, 2013 the FCC issued a directive that users obtain permission from their carriers before using signal boosters. The rule takes effect March 1. I'm not sure how they'll police this, but I'm guessing that if you're found to be using a repeater without permission there will be some consequence.
    if the FCC comes a knockin on my door I will go ahead and get permission from verizon. But I doubt they will. the carriers don't even have a system set up yet to take requests
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  11. #11  
    zakth's Avatar

    Posts
    118 Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 2.0 w/LK 06

    Default Re: signal booster?

    I've got a multi-carrier voice/3g zboost... don't remember the model number but it works very well. Let me know how the new 4g one works.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by zakth View Post
    I've got a multi-carrier voice/3g zboost... don't remember the model number but it works very well. Let me know how the new 4g one works.
    will do, you probably have the yx545? you might look into the 4g upgrade it works to enhance the 545 and is less expensive than the 550 datablast
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
    Thanked by:
    zakth 
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    received the yx550 datablaster today, fast shipping from solidsignal in michigan where I found the best price, and setup was a breeze. I installed the antenna in my living room, outdoor installation is not an option for me, and put the receiver in the basement underneath the master bedroom.

    results:

    pros: definitely have a stronger and more reliable connection. I used to have to keep a device in one place to get a 4G connection and can now walk around the house and receive signal. I also get 4 bars in the basement where I did not receive any signal before.

    cons: speeds are only about average to what they were before, maybe just a little faster. That's not the main reason I bought it but would like a little faster for the money.

    conclusion: I have a few weeks to experiment and see if I get faster speeds. I'll have to decide then if it's worth the $260 shipped or if I should return it.
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  14. #14  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
    received the yx550 datablaster today, fast shipping from solidsignal in michigan where I found the best price, and setup was a breeze. I installed the antenna in my living room, outdoor installation is not an option for me, and put the receiver in the basement underneath the master bedroom.

    results:

    pros: definitely have a stronger and more reliable connection. I used to have to keep a device in one place to get a 4G connection and can now walk around the house and receive signal. I also get 4 bars in the basement where I did not receive any signal before.

    cons: speeds are only about average to what they were before, maybe just a little faster. That's not the main reason I bought it but would like a little faster for the money.

    conclusion: I have a few weeks to experiment and see if I get faster speeds. I'll have to decide then if it's worth the $260 shipped or if I should return it.
    My devices are scheduled for delivery on Monday March 3, 2013. Update 03-05-2013 the setup of the devices were plug and play more or less and I have been using them now a day and notice the 4G lte signal is solid in the house with 3-4 bars which without the devices the signal would be 1-2 bars and bounce between 4G lte and 3G and sometimes none. I am very happy with these devices and will keep them. If anyone is having issue with signal inside their house but have some acceptable signal outside your house this is what you need. I am on Verizonwireless.
    Last edited by japetty; 03-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    thechidz likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    I've decided to return the zboost. It does improve my signal but not enough to justify the expense.
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  16. #16  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    It sounded from your Pros description that you had a good signal everywhere, including your basement (where apparently you never had a signal at all before). Was the speed (or the lack thereof) your deciding factor? Are you going to continue looking, perhaps for a lower-priced device with the same signal strength, or for a comparably-priced unit that provides faster speeds, or have you just given up on the whole thing altogether?
    (Enquiring minds want to know)

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    well yeah I would say two things are making me return it, one is the lack of additional speed boost and the other is that the signal seems to be unreliable.... for instance when using my phone as an internet modem and trying to make phone calls on my computer or tablet via ggogle voice the signal wasn't great and while watching streaming videos like hulu the connection wasn't great. I might try again in the future if I can find one cheap.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    It sounded from your Pros description that you had a good signal everywhere, including your basement (where apparently you never had a signal at all before). Was the speed (or the lack thereof) your deciding factor? Are you going to continue looking, perhaps for a lower-priced device with the same signal strength, or for a comparably-priced unit that provides faster speeds, or have you just given up on the whole thing altogether?
    (Enquiring minds want to know)

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  18. #18  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    If you're willing to spend that much, you should try the Verizon Network Extender. As much as I had to grit my teeth to buy one from Verizon (kind of like extortion *smile*), it has been working at our house, for about 2 years now, consistently. Used to have only one bar at my desk at one end of the house, and now have 3 - 5 bars throughout the house. Went from battery drain to very usable signal. On the other hand, it doesn't give you 4G/LTE, just 3G, but that's fine with me, I use WiFi at home anyways. Usually keep mobile data turned off while at home. What really gets me is that we're in a "best" coverage area according to Verizon, what a laugh.

    Anyways, their Network Extender works for us.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    thanks for the reply but I was specifically looking for improvement in 4g/LTE
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  20. #20  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Isn't your WiFi faster than 4G/LTE at home? Lucky you...I'd probably still use WiFi at home, since it would save a lot of cellular data (I'm on a limited plan). When I'm on WiFi, don't have to think about data usage at all. Maybe you have unlimited data, then.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    I just want to be able to make a phone call, receive a phone call in my house. Not have to walk out side in the snow rain etc. Replacement phone, Sims, hours of level 2 banana head script reading tech support. Network support will be out this week. I've very excited to see the results of this ticket.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mungus8888 View Post
    I just want to be able to make a phone call, receive a phone call in my house. Not have to walk out side in the snow rain etc. Replacement phone, Sims, hours of level 2 banana head script reading tech support. Network support will be out this week. I've very excited to see the results of this ticket.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    The product linked by the OP earlier in the thread says it ONLY increases LTE data coverage, not voice -- however the same company also offers repeaters for voice signal as well.

    I'm actually surprised the VZW CS didn't recommend using their network extender for your situation....
  23. #23  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    The product linked by the OP earlier in the thread says it ONLY increases LTE data coverage, not voice -- however the same company also offers repeaters for voice signal as well.

    I'm actually surprised the VZW CS didn't recommend using their network extender for your situation....
    I asked during one of my tech support calls. Guy said nah.. I'm not likely to jump on another $200.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    I don't have wifi at home I use my phone data for internet and yep I'm on unlimited

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    Isn't your WiFi faster than 4G/LTE at home? Lucky you...I'd probably still use WiFi at home, since it would save a lot of cellular data (I'm on a limited plan). When I'm on WiFi, don't have to think about data usage at all. Maybe you have unlimited data, then.
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
  25. #25  

    Default Re: signal booster?

    Quote Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
    I don't have wifi at home I use my phone data for internet and yep I'm on unlimited
    Wish I could do that, but I have 4 computers and numerous other devices that need to connect...and need to stay connected when I'm not there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 4G Signal Booster at Store Deceptive Advertising
    By bunionboy in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
  2. Has anyone tried a 4G signal booster?
    By wheezy in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
  3. Wilson sleek signal booster, it works!
    By vincey2kr1 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
  4. Signal booster, not air rave
    By vincey2kr1 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
  5. Signal booster
    By haymond#AC in forum US Cellular Merge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions