Just a thought on the GS3 cell radio

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about why samsung consistently puts out phones with seemingly weak radios put in.. And I was thinking on why that may be.. Then I realized something that they have been pretty consistent with in their phone builds: plastic as the main material in the outside and bumpers of all their phones.

Now, do you think it is possible that samsung assumes that they can keep putting weak (possibly cheaper) radios in their phones because they think that the outside plastic part of the phone is relativley radio - friendly and despite the weak radios, and will produce decent reception quality because the plastic is easy to permeate compared to other competitors who use aluminum and sometimes glass which is harder to permeate from a radios perspective?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that the GS3 has a poor cell radio? I came from a Galaxy Nexus... That hunk of crap had the worst radio I've ever had on a phone- dropped calls and 'no service' all day long. The GS3 has amazing reception, at least for me. Not as good as my Motorola, but pretty close. This is using signal strength as the benchmark, not displayed bars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not quite sure what you mean, the s3 uses the s4 soc, same as the droid razr maxx hd. My s3 radio is pretty solid, close to my Razr maxx. My note 2 radio seems slightly better than the gs3 and razr maxx. The note 2 does use a exynos quad core processor, so different setup than the s3

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not quite sure what you mean, the s3 uses the s4 soc, same as the droid razr maxx hd. My s3 radio is pretty solid, close to my Razr maxx. My note 2 radio seems slightly better than the gs3 and razr maxx. The note 2 does use a exynos quad core processor, so different setup than the s3

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

But doesn't it seem that compared to other phones that samsung needs to step up their game?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited: