Galaxy S3 becomes very slow & sluggish - how to find culprit?

LGNYC

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 becomes very slow & sluggish - how to find culprit?

I just updated yesterday and now mine too is sluggish. Should have read this forum prior. Definitely looking like a software issue.

- - - Updated - - -

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 becomes very slow & sluggish - how to find culprit?

I just updated yesterday and now mine too is sluggish. Should have read this forum prior. Definitely looking like a software issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I would 100% recommend everyone rolling back to the original JB update through odin, everything is back to normal for me because I decided to go back for now until they release an update to fix all this :confused:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

t_darc

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I have an S3 with the most recent update (4.1.2), but I don't see a Multi Window option anywhere. It's not in the display settings menu and it also can't be found in main pulldown menu. My phone is also experiencing severe sluggishness and I wanted to disable the option like others apparently have to fix things, but how don't I have it if I'm running the most current Android version?

BA_JRW76

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon Samsung GS3 and I don't see that option. I pulled down the dashboard and scrolled to the right. My only options are Bluetooth, GPS, Ringtone, Mobile Data, Screen Rotation, Airplane Mode, Power Saving, Driving Mode, & Sync. Is this option specific to a particular version of Jelly Bean? I have Android Version 4.1.2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When you look in Settings -> About phone, if the Build number doesn't show something ending in MD3 or MF1
ynary2ad.jpg
then you don't have the latest update and you won't see the Multi window option.
enaruteb.jpg
If that's the case then just go to Settings -> About phone -> Software update and check for updates.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

hardee121

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
its the issue with your mobile's ram ....
installa and use the app "Clean Master"
it automatically prompts for clearing of RAM once the utilization has reached 90%
also you may uninstall some of the heavy apps if you dont need them anymore...

nzhairstylist

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I only have apps like Colornote, Facebook, Pinterest, Messenger... nothing like a big game or anything... but perhaps I'll install the Clean Master app. Thanks for your help, and thanks to who asked the original questions, that Google found for me! :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
nzhairstylist,
You may want to consider uninstalling Facebook if you're having problems with your phone being slow - at least in the past, it was a troublesome app.
And frankly, anything that scores less than four stars probably isn't worth using.
Just my opinion - I don't use Facebook but remember reading various threads that pointed the finger at it as being problematic.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Matthew Tyler1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I was also a sufferer of the issues mentioned in the forum but while searching and trying different suggestions, the lighting caused the auto brightness to change so the screen became darker, hence I couldn't read the text so well so I turned it off (screen auto brightness) and now my phone is running much faster. Unlocking is fast, even opening the contacts list. Am very happy, just hope it works for all of you.

Good luck

Last edited:

jp017

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The s3 blows, I wish I could get my s2 back. the home key sucks bc it's manual, the signal sucks ***, apps don't fully close when they should. Iwanna throw this gd piece of sht through a wall!

fitzdog

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks All! I have turned off the multiwindow (never used it, not enough of the right apps to use together), found out through Betterbatterystats Facebook was eating usage and turned off all the background type settings in facebook, turned off the autobrightness, and cleared the Cache and the RAM, and now it is lighting fast just as if it was out of the box. Great tips.

And for the people that have the SIII and think it blows, my guess is you have no idea how to use computers or smartphones well, or you have a dud phone (you know not everyone, and not every phone is perfect, and I'm talking the phone itself, not simply the SIII. You should always test it hard right after you get a product and make sure its working well, and if not exchange it out right away. Before, I went right through 2 iphones, 3GS, before landing a good one that worked well, and my wife went through 1 SIII, but since then the phones worked great). My SIII has worked great for many months, when they just came out, and recently became sluggish. But now its fast again. I wouldn't say its the SIII thats the problem, just my knowledge to keep the phone maintained. Doesn't matter which smartphone, they are all essentially a computer, and they all need maintenance to keep them running smoothly.

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey I have the same issues and have followed all of those instructions, but no luck. How can I roll back to the previous update? I don't want to have to sit on this update that isn't working the best. Thanks for the help!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
flann_man1,
You'd have to use Odin to reload the MB1 firmware. I'm sure you can find that online.
Be aware, I remember having problems with the camera (it wouldn't work at all) after downgrading back to MB1 - YMMV.

Edit: oh, and you'll have to figure out how to block the OTA to MF1.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
flann_man1,
You'd have to use Odin to reload the MB1 firmware. I'm sure you can find that online.
Be aware, I remember having problems with the camera (it wouldn't work at all) after downgrading back to MB1 - YMMV.

Edit: oh, and you'll have to figure out how to block the OTA to MF1.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

If he does go back to MB1, and uses a full, stock image that includes the MB1 modem and associated rpm and all, then the camera should work if it works with the MB1 update, I think.

Not sure what happened to your camera if you did that, or if you're only talking about the MB1 modem and associated rpm?

KaitRoo

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is only a few weeks old, but I have installed all my favorite apps. Every few days or so the phone becomes extremely sluggish and unresponsive. I can get into settings, but very slowly. The only app that is actually running (in the forground) is iHeart radio. After closing iHeart Radio it is still very slow so I don't suspect this app. Only a restart returns the phone to its normal state. Is there a way to check which application or process is causing this behavior??

I have been having this exact same issue and it has been bugging me for a few weeks. I think I found the issue today and haven't had any issues since. There is one app in particular that many of us have in common... Google Chrome. Whether we use it or not it's on our phones by default and cannot be removed unless your phone is rooted. It is also the one app that I was having consistent trouble with my S3 lagging and freezing up whenever using Chrome or attempting to perform a search through the Google search widget (which was linked to chrome as my default browser)

The app installed as 2.5MB of data, when I went into the app settings, I noticed that since installing with JB the app has accumulated an additional 107MB in updates. I cleared the cache, uninstalled the updates, and disabled the app. I haven't had any lagging or freezing issues since.

Hope that helps

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There is one app in particular that many of us have in common... Google Chrome.
I'm not sure what carrier/firmware you have, but my Verizon S3 (4.1.2, MF1) does not have Google Chrome built-in.

Francis Cobb

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
sorry i maybe a lil late replying this, but im new to the andriod world.
just sharing i have the same problem and i found out that i had my Power Saving mode on. Once i turned that off everything worked back fine again. Even with the new Apps i've installed.

Right now im on S3 running on 4.3 OS. .

DomUK

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have also been having major problems with my phone being slow and laggy, even taking an age to respond to "wake up".

In addition to what's been mentioned in this thread (e.g. turning off multi-window, turning off power saving) I've noticed the biggest boost has been turning off Galaxy S Voice settings - I never even use S Voice.

If you double press on the home button you will load the S Voice screen; if you then go into settings (press the menu button) and uncheck almost everything (including the "wake up command" setting AND the "open via the home key" setting) it should speed the phone up. I noticed an instant return to the phones old snappy self - no more lag, no more slow down. In particular the phone now wakes up instantly, and I get no more lag just pressing the home button. It's been great so far!