Galaxy S3 becomes very slow & sluggish - how to find culprit?

tplowe56

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is only a few weeks old, but I have installed all my favorite apps. Every few days or so the phone becomes extremely sluggish and unresponsive. I can get into settings, but very slowly. The only app that is actually running (in the forground) is iHeart radio. After closing iHeart Radio it is still very slow so I don't suspect this app. Only a restart returns the phone to its normal state. Is there a way to check which application or process is causing this behavior??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
From your description I'd actually lean towards iHeart Radio - just because you exit out of the app it doesn't mean that the app is no longer running in the background.
Why don't you either disable iHeart Radio or uninstall it, then reboot the phone, then see if the same problem comes back. If it doesn't, then you've likely found your culprit; if it does, you can reenable/reinstall that app and look for others (particularly ones that run at boot).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is only a few weeks old, but I have installed all my favorite apps. Every few days or so the phone becomes extremely sluggish and unresponsive. I can get into settings, but very slowly. The only app that is actually running (in the forground) is iHeart radio. After closing iHeart Radio it is still very slow so I don't suspect this app. Only a restart returns the phone to its normal state. Is there a way to check which application or process is causing this behavior??

You can go into "Settings" to "Application Manager", and then flip over one page to the right *smile*, and that's the list of currently running applications. If "iHeart Radio" is running, you can tap it, and press "Stop" on the iHeart Radio running app window that comes up. It is true that just exiting via the "Home" button or the "back" button will not stop the app from running, that's how you can listen to the radio while you're using another app...This may or may not be causing your problem.

If this isn't the problem, then there are other apps you can use to see what's causing your problem..."BetterBatteryStats" is a very useful one for looking into this sort of problem.

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar issue, but it doesn't fix itself with a reboot. I don't use many media apps or anything, and when I close one I always use the task manager to stop them. It only started happening after the most recent update. 4.1.2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am having a similar issue, but it doesn't fix itself with a reboot. I don't use many media apps or anything, and when I close one I always use the task manager to stop them. It only started happening after the most recent update. 4.1.2

Have you tried to clear cache and pull the sim? What about a factory reset?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried to clear cache and pull the sim? What about a factory reset?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Did the cache clear, still sluggish. Temple Run 2 is a little jittery, frame rate slipping. When I open a text message and attempt to reply, the keyboard comes up slow, and then if I touch the back key, it slowly disappears. Using swiftkey.

I haven't changed anything on the phone, this all started after this last update.

nicell

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem but I've been greedy with apps. Samsung told me to do a factory reset but I can't back up wuth Kies. It freezes when I click the Backup/Restore tab. The same happens on a different PC, so I know it's the phone.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're having problems since the last update, I'd suggest thinking about (and actually doing *smile*) a factory reset. Back up as much as you can first (of course), but the factory reset will put you back at factory defaults and then you can manually re-enter your settings, and restore whatever you've backed up. You could enter your settings and restore incrementally, and find out where it slows down again (if it does), and that will give you some idea of where the problem might be coming from.

Don Kealy

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Pull down at the top to expose the gps, wifi etc and scroll to the right. You'll see a "multi screen" selection. Mine was lit. I turned it off and it fixed my issue immediately.

jes jesijames

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Turning off the multiwindow worked for me too. The difference was astounding. Thank you for posting that. Now if someone knows why it won't put a space after the last word of a line when the last letter of that word is in the last character space of the line I will be impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non