Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Unhappy Storage space is running out

    I believe this is a common issue, as I've read every post I can get my hands on, but none of the proposed solutions that I've attempted have resolved my issue.

    I recently rooted my VZW S3, using CyanogenMod (10.0.0-d2vzw), so I'm at Android 4.1.2. I don't have many apps loaded onto the phone (GMail, Maps, Evernote, Dropbox, Twitter, USAToday) as well as photos saved onto the internal memory.

    When attempting to download/install app updates, I'd always get hit with the insufficient space available error...so I found a resolution that suggested using Lucky Patcher to fix this. It appeared to work, but today I now get a persistent "Storage space is running out" error, which has rendered any data connection (wifi/4g) useless.

    Per other recommendations, I tried using 1Tap Cleaner, then Link2SD to move photos to SD, but that even threw an error (pkg: /data/app/com.google.android.gm-2.apk Failue (INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE))

    I then tried Send to SD card, and seemed to work at first, but hasn't corrected the issue.

    When viewing my storage settings, they currently are:

    Internal: Total, 12.05gb
    Apps: 820MB
    Pictures: 723MB
    Audio: 20k
    Available: 80.95MB

    External (SD card): Total, 14.93GB
    Available: 11.44GB

    Obviously something doesn't make sense if I have the free space on the SD card (or so it says) and I find it hard to believe that the ROM is taking up almost 11gb of internal.

    Any and all help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    I have all my pictures, all my music, and whatever app i can put there on my ext 32gig sd card.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Thanks, but as I explained above, I'm unable to transfer any of my files onto the external sd card.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    *SOMETHING* is taking up a LOT of space on your internal storage.

    Do you have a lot of nandroid backups? They take up a ton of space...

    Go to /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup to check. You may need to delete some if that's the case (There are options to backup to SD card when in CWM as well)

    If it's not that, it's gotta be something else...

    EDIT: Also check the internal storage downloads folder (/mnt/sdcard/downloads) to see if there are large files in there that can be deleted. If you've downloaded a lot of ROM files, for example, they may be taking up considerable space.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Thanks. After some considerable time, I was able to copy picture files over to my SD card manually, which freed up 1gb of space, but now I'm back to the "insufficient storage available" issue.

    The only clockworkmod folder I see is on my internal card. I delete one file under backups, but I see a blobs folder with a ton of folders/files in it. Is is safe to delete any of this?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Yes ... but you won't be able to restore any old backups if you do.

    What I would do is delete all backup folders, including "Blobs" to clear up space. After that, you may want to boot to recovery to make a new fresh backup.

    When you're in CWM and doing a backup, I recommend doing this: Go to "choose default backup format" and choose "tar" (this allows you to delete individual backups, instead of using the BLOBS folder). Then, choose "backup to SD Card" instead of "Backup" if you want the files saved to the external card.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Thanks, I've freed up 3 gb of internal now, but still dealing with "insufficient storage available" issue, so I'm unable to add back any apps I previously deleted to free up space.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Quote Originally Posted by SA3178 View Post
    Thanks, I've freed up 3 gb of internal now, but still dealing with "insufficient storage available" issue, so I'm unable to add back any apps I previously deleted to free up space.
    Have you tried rebooting the phone? If that doesn't work, you may want to try booting into recovery and clearing the davlik and cache (as long as you don't "wipe data/factory reset" it won't affect any of your apps or data)...? I'm about out of ideas past that....
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Thanks. Yes, I've tried both, only to have the same issue. Are there hidden files on the internal that might be taking up space, but that I can't see? I've tried looking at each folder/size, and still cannot figure out where all of the space has gone. Last resort I'll start over and reinstall. Thanks for your time and assistance.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Try going to the play store in app manager and clearing all data.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Still no luck.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Quote Originally Posted by SA3178 View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I've tried both, only to have the same issue. Are there hidden files on the internal that might be taking up space, but that I can't see? I've tried looking at each folder/size, and still cannot figure out where all of the space has gone. Last resort I'll start over and reinstall. Thanks for your time and assistance.
    It's very strange...I'm not sure what could be "hidden" and taking up that much space???

    What file explorer are you using? If you have one that allows to view the root directory, I'd check the properties of "/mnt/sdcard" (despite the name, this is your INTERNAL storage..."extSdCard" is the external SD card) and see what the size is. If the size of that directory isn't very large, then you know that it's possibly system files that hogging up space (in which case a wipe and re-install would probably be recommended). If that directory is large, like over a few GB, then you know it's more likely media/downloads/cwm backups/etc. that is taking up that space.
  13. #13  
    AH17's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Hello,
    I have exactly the same problem with samsung galaxy s3. I had the peroblem after rooting and installing PanaroidKangdroid rom( unfortunately i did not check the available memory before rooting). Now i have 1 gb only of available memory. I flashed the rom again but still the same problem. I remembre learned somewhere about CMW duplicating files on the sd card. as i am a newbee, I can't tell wich is the correct directory and files. Any body can hep! thanks in advance
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Quote Originally Posted by AH17 View Post
    Hello,
    I have exactly the same problem with samsung galaxy s3. I had the peroblem after rooting and installing PanaroidKangdroid rom( unfortunately i did not check the available memory before rooting). Now i have 1 gb only of available memory. I flashed the rom again but still the same problem. I remembre learned somewhere about CMW duplicating files on the sd card. as i am a newbee, I can't tell wich is the correct directory and files. Any body can hep! thanks in advance
    First, did you make a backup in CWM, or have you made several backups? While the backup feature is great (if not crucial), those backups do take up a ton of space, so you definitely need to clear old ones out if you start running space.
    Using a file explorer (many ROMs have one built in, or you can install one like "root explorer"), go to the "sdcard" directory (this will often be the default starting directory, and is actually the INTERNAL storage, your actual sdcard contents are in the "extsdcard" directory), and check the "clockworkmod/backup" folder. If you have stuff in there, those are your backups. It is perfectly safe to delete everything in that folder, however you will no longer be able to restore your phone to a previous state anymore. so...

    If you do need to delete stuff from there, either make sure you don't need the old backups, or after you've deleted everything, go in a make a new backup if desired. (Also, see my post above about how to save backups to the external SD card).

    If it's not CWM backups that taking up space, then you may have to investigate further....

    When you install new ROMs, are you doing a full data wipe/system reset?
  15. #15  
    AH17's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    @paintdrinkingpete
    Thanks for your help. I finally fixed the problem. After many trials using CWM, iI downloaded TWRP, I did a complete wipe of the system and the sd card. I rebouted and I get Available memory....12.05GB. When first I opened TWRP and after wiping, it was saying sd card capacity 2.22 GB. but after rebout and appling partitionningg , I got 12.05 GB available memory.
    I installed the ROM (PanaroidKangDroid) and every thing is fine with my ATT Galaxy S3. I hope this could help people having same problem.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Wiped my GS3, still the same 73MB free memory : /
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    You can start by looking at the Storage viewto see what's going on. Then use something like DiskUsage: http://market.android.com/details?id...roid.diskusage to drill down to where all of your space is going.
    You can also set the camera app to save all of your pictures/videos to the SDCard (if you have one).
    Be sure to put any music on the SDCard as well (although both Google & Amazon appear to cache content on the internal storage, with no way to change it).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Storage space is running out-uploadfromtaptalk1369513188563.jpg  
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Can someone record a video by repairing this annoying internal storage bug?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for.
    If you post a screenshot of the Storage view that will help.
    If you use a File Manager to look through the internal storage (/mnt/sdcard0) you should be able to find whatever is taking up your space. There are a ton of good, free File Managers out there (including the one I listed), but you'll have to do the searching yourself - without knowing what you had previously installed there's no way to tell you what to look for, other than saying to search based on file size (which is why I recommended the one app that I did - it shows a graphical representation of the directories that are large). Here are some others you could try:
    DiskInfo: http://market.android.com/details?id=me.kuder.diskinfo
    ES File Explorer: http://market.android.com/details?id...gs.android.pop
    Root Explorer: http://market.android.com/details?id...e.rootexplorer
    Solid Explorer: http://market.android.com/details?id=pl.solidexplorer
    plus, of course, the built-in My Files app.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    LOl experienced same problem.. Overtime lots of junk files like cache, thumbnail files and residual files begin to build up. I freed up a lot of space by finding and deleting those files. Just follow these two links and let us know if that solved your problem. 1.Android Fix: Internal Storage getting low problem. 2.Android Fix: Insufficient Storage Space available while updating Chrome app
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    I know this is an older post but just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the info. I was in the same boat (what the heck was taking up so much storage) and couldn't figure out what to look for even though I had Root Explorer and thought I had gone through pretty much every folder on the phone. I found three different back up files that were just eating up my storage. Moved them off the phone and presto I had tons of storage back.

    Again thanks for the info.
    meeshareshma likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Hi i was experiencing the same issue with cm 10.1 on Huawei u9200.

    I found the root cause for my issue and who ever can check the source for a potential bug, please do so asap.

    The gps/logs folder was full of old logs. Removing those files corrected the issue.

    For good measure i cleared the delvik cache and ran fix file permissions.

    Have any questions let me know.


    This post is dedicated to my wifey.

    Matt out
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    This certainly helped.

    I simply did these steps:

    1. Went to Application Manager
    2. Opened Maps
    3. Cleared Cache!! [If you are a regular G Maps user, then you would most probably be having a lot of cached data - 220Mb in my case ]

    Thanks everyone!!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Can someone tell me why on my HTC Leo (HD2) with 448 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM factory specs, 4.0.4 android, I can see only 150 MB of storage?!? Evem i have 42megs of free space I cant' install a 22 app.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Storage space is running out

    Quote Originally Posted by SA3178 View Post
    I believe this is a common issue, as I've read every post I can get my hands on, but none of the proposed solutions that I've attempted have resolved my issue.

    I recently rooted my VZW S3, using CyanogenMod (10.0.0-d2vzw), so I'm at Android 4.1.2. I don't have many apps loaded onto the phone (GMail, Maps, Evernote, Dropbox, Twitter, USAToday) as well as photos saved onto the internal memory.

    When attempting to download/install app updates, I'd always get hit with the insufficient space available error...so I found a resolution that suggested using Lucky Patcher to fix this. It appeared to work, but today I now get a persistent "Storage space is running out" error, which has rendered any data connection (wifi/4g) useless.

    Per other recommendations, I tried using 1Tap Cleaner, then Link2SD to move photos to SD, but that even threw an error (pkg: /data/app/com.google.android.gm-2.apk Failue (INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE))

    I then tried Send to SD card, and seemed to work at first, but hasn't corrected the issue.

    When viewing my storage settings, they currently are:

    Internal: Total, 12.05gb
    Apps: 820MB
    Pictures: 723MB
    Audio: 20k
    Available: 80.95MB

    External (SD card): Total, 14.93GB
    Available: 11.44GB

    Obviously something doesn't make sense if I have the free space on the SD card (or so it says) and I find it hard to believe that the ROM is taking up almost 11gb of internal.

    Any and all help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Internal Storage Space is Disappearing, Please Help
    By Adam Z in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
  2. Phone Storage space is low
    By bsu74 in forum HTC Desire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 09:32 PM
  3. Time is running out for HSUPA
    By Krak-a-Lakn in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
  4. So who is going to run out and buy the new ECHO LOL
    By thoth12 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM
  5. Phone storage space is getting low
    By Kellz in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions