The GSM riddle for Samsung Galaxy S3

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am planning on buying a samsung galaxy S3 in the verizon wireless under a 2 year contract. One of my biggest requirements is to have a GSM compatibility - which I did see BUT my bigest question is, after the contract period if I want to take it to other countries and use a SIM of aother carriers and NOT verizon, would I be able to do that easily OR do I need to have something in place to do that ?

Regards,
Prashanth

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am planning on buying a samsung galaxy S3 in the verizon wireless under a 2 year contract. One of my biggest requirements is to have a GSM compatibility - which I did see BUT my bigest question is, after the contract period if I want to take it to other countries and use a SIM of aother carriers and NOT verizon, would I be able to do that easily OR do I need to have something in place to do that ?

Regards,
Prashanth

Verizon uses CDMA... not GSM.

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply - I do know that verizon uses CDMA. But my question is after the 2 year contract with verizon, if I want to end the contract and take the phone to a different country that has more GSM carriers - Would I be able to use other carrier SIMS then ?

Regards,
Prashanth

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The gs3 on Verizon is gsm capable and should be sim unlocked. Note that the apn is locked. You would need to root to change the apn

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II