Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone screen won't turn off

Not sure why but suddenly my screen won't shut off. This is killing my battery because the screen is always on. Tried turning the timer down, turned on power saver mode. Nothing. Suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,584 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Phone screen won't turn off

Quote Originally Posted by medic673 View Post
    Not sure why but suddenly my screen won't shut off. This is killing my battery because the screen is always on. Tried turning the timer down, turned on power saver mode. Nothing. Suggestions?

Try taking the battery out?
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Quote Originally Posted by medic673 View Post

Does it turn off when you manually press the power button?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Battery pulled and nothing. Yes it turns off when I hit the power button.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok wondering if I need to get a replacement phone. Now if I get a text the screen comes on for a second then never turns off. It's killing my battery.

I have the same issue. Only thing that works for me is restarting the phone. Works for a few days and then needs to be restarted again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

This happened to me after I got water on my galaxy note. I had to have it replaced under my insurance.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I have the same issue on the galaxy nexus. Power button press turns the screen off a second then it's back on again. Random issue, recovery mode factory reset doesn't fix the problem. Sent it in for repair under warranty.
    Thanked by:
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Looks like lots of different--likely unrelated--issues convoluting the OP's issue.

What is your sleep setting under Menu --> Display --> Sleep?

Are you running an app that stops the screen from sleeping?

The Quick Reply feature of Mms.apk has been known to have issues. Which messaging app are you using and what are the respective settings?
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.

Hi,
    Probably some application is holding the Screen wakelock and not releasing it.
    There is a light app to hunt for wakelocks: Wakelock Detector
    Thanked by:

Did you manage to fix it? I dropped some water on my Samsung Galaxy s3 mini yesterday evening then dropped the phone, but i was sitting down so it wasn't a rough fall, I wouldn't have expected any problems and now my dispaly won't shut off.It shuts down for a second then it lights again. Is there any solution or do I have to take it in service?

Exclamation Re: Phone screen won't turn off

Oh my god! I have the Galaxy S4, and I'm experiencing the same exact problem. The power button works when I long press. I even tried downloading third party lockscreen apps. The lockscreen will launch, but the screen won't shut off. I've had this problem a few days. I tried reboot and pulling battery, with no luck. Contact me with any solutions PLEASE! I've rooted my phone but I'm running the stock ROM
    Last edited by Brandon35; 06-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.

I have started having the same problem!

Whenever i get a text or if phone becomes fully charged, lock screen comes on and doesn't turn off unless manually done.

So my battery is dying sometimes before i even get to the phone to check!

Had anyone solved this problem yet on their phones? Mine is a galaxy note.

Had the same problem today, and now I don't- Here's How:
    App Store -> Search for "wakelock" first thing that came up for me was Wakelock Detector (free app by UZUMAPPS ~100,000 downloads). Ran it, and found out the Sixaxis Compatibility Checker was running for around 8 hours despite Advanced Task Killer reporting that it was terminated. Needless to say as soon as I did that my settings kicked in and powered off/locked the screen after 15 seconds.

Make sure before doing this that your settings under "Lock Screen-> Secured Lock Time" and "Display-> Screen Timeout" are set appropriately.

Hope it works for you, that wakelock suggestion worked wonders for me!

I had this problem for a week screen would not sleep automatically,even with a forced close by button.I tried Wakelock detector as recommended here and thank you so much it highlighted the rogue app in seconds"weather pro which I had installed aprox a week ago" once uninstalled everything resumed normal service and negated my fears of total reset etc etc. Brilliant.

Xeeta: Thank you so much....this app worked perfectly...Directv just updated their app, it doesn't exit the same way it used to and was hanging up my 15 sec. shut off! You rock!

Hi Friends
    It is not a serious problem. Actually I came to this page because I have the same problem and then I started R & D with my phone and find a solution.
    Go to your phone settings and under display select screen timeout to 15 seconds and check if it solved your problem. In my phone how this happened I don't know but now I have a solution so I shared with it.

Smile Re: Phone screen won't turn off

I think I fixed mine. It was the "dreaming" feature on my Samsung nexus. I turned if off completely and it has been 5 minutes and still off.
    Setting-->> Display--> Daydream --> button on top turn to "Off".

Well that was on a short term fix with an hour that problem has re-started.

I just figured out that if you have Pandora on your phone, it has a default setting that prevents the screen from timing out (which is incredibly stupid). So you have to go into Pandora > settings > conserve battery. This is automatically unchecked and you have to manually enable it allowing the screen to auto shut off. Hope this is your problem!

Thank you so much! Wakelock works! It found soundclolud running for 12 hrs and I uninstalled it then it turns off again after my desired time of screen turn off while idle. I cant thank you enough! Thank you again

This showed me exactly what was causing my problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hikmat abdoollayev View Post
    Hi,
    Probably some application is holding the Screen wakelock and not releasing it.
    There is a light app to hunt for wakelocks: Wakelock Detector
    This showed me exactly what was causing problem.
    Thanked by:

Mine won't turn off. It acts like it's locked but I've never locked it. The battery got very low and I changed it and it still won't turn on or shut off. Just sits there. I've tried a hundred times to unlock it via running my finger and/or stylus over the screen and it just won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by NinaTexas View Post
    it still won't turn on
    Which is it - won't turn off, or won't turn on?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Anything new on that? i have the same problem, but i can make shure its not the software... i reseted the phone, and even flashed it with different os - no success... so i have to expect it to be a hardwareproblem. as i also already replaced the glass (earlier - did not cause the issue) my question now is - is it more the power button or the softkeys that might cause the problem? or is there anything else i can try from the softwareside?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast