Assurion repalcement phones.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, so yestday I somehow busted the screen on my GS3. I was at work (I work at a lube shop) and pulled it out of my pocket and saw that there was spiderweb cracks all over the bottom and up to the top. Not sure how it happened, but I'm guessing I musta hit it with a wrench or something when it was in my pocket. It's my first time ever busting a screen. Thankfully I pay 6.99 a month to get insurance from Assurion through verizon. I called them up on the same day and after paying a hefty 100$ deductible I have a new GS3 on the way. Should be here tuesday.
My question is, does anyone know if the replacement phone they send you is brand new or refurbished?? I've had phones replaced by Verizon before and they always give me refurbished phones. Of course that is for warranty replacment and not insurance, and I didn't have to pay a cent. Has anyone had a phone replaced through them before? What was your experience?
Needless to say, I'm stoked about getting a new GS3 with no nicks or scratches on the camera lense. I'm just not excited about re-installing all 71 of my apps and setting up the home screens again. Anyone got suggestions on how to speed up that process?
Thanks

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I had my Nexus replaced by them after it was stolen. The online process was easy, and it was shipped overnight. The phone I received wouldn't wake up after phone calls, so I called them and they sent me another. I had to send the first one back, but they paid for shipping. My experience with them was great, and I'm glad I had the insurance.

To answer your other question, I don't know if they are all new or refurbished, maybe a mix of both? But if the phone you receive doesn't work properly, they'll replace it quickly and without much difficulty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Good. That's good to hear. Like I said I've never had to do this before. I would have been screwed with out it though because Verizon said they couldn't do anything for me with a broken screen.
I'm curious if it will have Android 4.0 or if I will have to download the most current 4.1.2 though...

Sent from the amazing Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Kamran Malik1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
i recently ordered a gs3 through them last week through a claim and it wasnt brand new in an original samsung box but it was like new. possibly refurbished but you can't tell at all. and the firmware i think mine was 4.1.1. if not it automatically just updates within minutes after you put your sim in.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So the outer shell and everything was brand new? No scratches or nicks or anything? Not that it really matters, just curious.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought the $6.99/month (plus $100 deductible) guaranteed you a brand new phone. You'd have to get a straight answer from them on that topic though.

Regarding restoring all of your apps, etc - you should give this Carbon: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup a shot. It works on non-rooted phones, and allows you to backup/restore your apps & data. Note that currently it doesn't support MMS, so you'd want to try something like MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro (there's a trial version available) if you have any MMS that you care about.
Finally, note that even without the above, when you setup your new phone and establish your Google account, it'll automatically start reinstalling all of your apps (just not the app data), so if that's all you care about then you're set.
Be sure you sync your current phone manually so that you can be sure all of your contacts, calendar, etc (whatever you have setup in your Google account) are current.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It will most likely be a refurbished model. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it should work just fine. If there is anything wrong with it, just call them and they ship out another -- I've heard that as long as you're not an @$$ about it, you can even request a new one over a refurb at that point, and often they will oblige since you are now delayed that much longer getting a working phone. I'm sure however, a lot of depends on what they have on inventory for any given model...

Most apps will re-install automatically once you've gone though the setup wizard, assuming you're using the same primary Google account you used on the old broken phone. Regarding home screen setup, that's precisely the main reason I use NOVA launcher -- you can backup your configuration, then save it SD card and restore it on the new phone once you got your apps re-installed -- generally you only have to re-do the widgets on the home screen. May not be the best option for you now, but something to think about going forward...

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My phone was stolen a month ago. I called Saturday afternoon and had my "new" phone in hand on Monday morning. Im not sure if it was brand new or refurbished, but honestly I cant tell the difference, it is in perfect condition.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It will most likely be a refurbished model. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it should work just fine. If there is anything wrong with it, just call them and they ship out another -- I've heard that as long as you're not an @$$ about it, you can even request a new one over a refurb at that point, and often they will oblige since you are now delayed that much longer getting a working phone. I'm sure however, a lot of depends on what they have on inventory for any given model...

Most apps will re-install automatically once you've gone though the setup wizard, assuming you're using the same primary Google account you used on the old broken phone. Regarding home screen setup, that's precisely the main reason I use NOVA launcher -- you can backup your configuration, then save it SD card and restore it on the new phone once you got your apps re-installed -- generally you only have to re-do the widgets on the home screen. May not be the best option for you now, but something to think about going forward...
Yeah I was half tempted to tell them mine was a brown GS3 so I could get one of those instead... I thought maybe I could just ask and maybe they would do it, but I didn't think of that til afterward..
Anyways, yeah I know that Nova launcher has a backup feature and I have backed up my layout but I haven't had to switch phones since getting it so I don't know if it works or not. I didn't know that all my old apps will reinstall themselves. When I switched from my incredible 2 to the Galaxy S3 I had to reinstall all my apps all over again and re-setup everything to my preferences again.. It take so freaking long.. Not looking forward to that. Though I am getting a nice shiny new phone with no dings or scratches so I'm happy about that.
Thanks for all the responses guys! I've had a few less than favorable dealings with insurance companies so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had a few phones replaced under my Assurion warranty with Sprint and they have always been refurbs. They always on the outside appear " new " . I assume they replace whatever cosmetic damages on the device during the rehab process and then internals also. I have had mixed luck with my refurbs, I had a few bad right out of the box and then others that never gave me a problem.

From my understanding warranty replacement inside the first 30 days is 99% of the time a new device. Outside the 30 day warranty period it is at the store's discretion to step in and award you a NEW device because the warranty coverage is indeed supposed to be a refurb device through Assurion.

Some people get lucky and a store manager wanting to keep a good face will award new devices and deal with the paperwork formalities while others simply stick to the standard and have the repair reps/salesperson handling the claim send it through Assurion and the refurb is awarded.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it sounds like I'll probably get a refurb. Hey, as long as there is no cosmetic damage and it performs like new then I'm okay with that. I just don't want all the extra junk that comes with getting a new phone. The S3 I have now was kinda starting to get a little cluttered and didn't seem like it was processing as fast as it did when it was new.. Maybe it's just me being paranoid though. I'm always so worried about apps or other things taking up too much memory and slowing my phone down.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I hear what your saying.

I've always treated my devices just like my home computer. Eventually the time comes that you just have to do some major house cleaning to clear out all the junk and regain that clean/speed back. We do it on our computers in means of monthly full system scans and other ways so it transfers over to smartphones with that occasional factory reset to eliminate the clutter.

Your refurb should treat you well, as others have said you rarely ever tell the difference between refurb or new.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I was half tempted to tell them mine was a brown GS3 so I could get one of those instead... I thought maybe I could just ask and maybe they would do it, but I didn't think of that til afterward..
Anyways, yeah I know that Nova launcher has a backup feature and I have backed up my layout but I haven't had to switch phones since getting it so I don't know if it works or not. I didn't know that all my old apps will reinstall themselves. When I switched from my incredible 2 to the Galaxy S3 I had to reinstall all my apps all over again and re-setup everything to my preferences again.. It take so freaking long.. Not looking forward to that. Though I am getting a nice shiny new phone with no dings or scratches so I'm happy about that.
Thanks for all the responses guys! I've had a few less than favorable dealings with insurance companies so I wasn't sure what to expect.

As long as you have the default backup and restore options enabled ("Settings --> Backup and Reset" on the S3; also presented during initial setup wizard) on both the old and new phone, it *should* automatically download and install most of your apps for you, although sometimes there will be a few you have to go back and re-install yourself.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Assurian supplies refurbs unless there are non available. There no real question about it. Read the fine print in the policy and they state it clearly.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Assurian supplies refurbs unless there are non available. There no real question about it. Read the fine print in the policy and they state it clearly.
Yeah I read the fine print, in the pamphlet and on their site. It says they will supply you with new OR used. So I may get either. As long as it's works like new then I'm happy.
I was just curious what everyone's experience with them was.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As most have said.. Refurbs for the most part are fine.. Occasionally you get a bad one that slipped by without being properly tested before going back into the shuffle but in that case just take it back and get another one...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
They must have changed their contract. My said something to the effect of "will replace with a reconditioned phone if available." And further wording giving them the right to substitute a "similar" phone if they don't have stock of your model.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
And further wording giving them the right to substitute a "similar" phone if they don't have stock of your model.
exactly... that was how I ended up going from my Samsung Epic 4g to Nexus S 4g. They weren't stocking it at the time so they gave me optional phones of similar value. I said gimme that Nexus ;-)

Never went back to branded phone since.