1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi and mobile data

If I leave wifi on and mobile data and it connects to my local wifi does it automatically turn of mobile data so it saves battery or do both stay on and it just uses the wifi? Is there a way to auto turn mobile data off when I get home and then when I leave home to auto turn mobile data on?

Default Re: WiFi and mobile data

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772 View Post
    If I leave wifi on and mobile data and it connects to my local wifi does it automatically turn of mobile data so it saves battery or do both stay on and it just uses the wifi? Is there a way to auto turn mobile data off when I get home and then when I leave home to auto turn mobile data on?
    Got can use an app like Tasker.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772 View Post
    When you are near a wifi that you have logged onto, it automatically switches to it, and turns mobile data off. You don't have to do anything.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It def turns mobile data off, is it the same as turning it off up top?

Not the same, but don't worry about it.
    Turning it off in the drop-down means it'll never connect if you're away from wifi.
    You don't need an app for this.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Now here's the question: When you are connected to wifi and have mobile data turned off in the drop down menu, will you still receive text messages and phone calls all the same? Same with emails and other notifications? I would think so but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholi2789 View Post
    Now here's the question: When you are connected to wifi and have mobile data turned off in the drop down menu, will you still receive text messages and phone calls all the same? Same with emails and other notifications? I would think so but I'm not 100% sure.
    The mobile data toggle only applies when not using wifi, but yes you should receive email through wifi and text and calls through cdma.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

To be slightly more specific, if you leave both WiFi and mobile data turned on and you have a valid WiFi connection, your phone will use the WiFi connection for all normal data requests. However, in certain cases, you'll see the mobile data icon shown in the Status bar while it handles the special request (the WiFi icon will also remain in the Status bar) and then the mobile data icon will go away once the request is serviced.

If you turn mobile data off and have a valid WiFi connection, all normal data requests will be serviced, but if a special case occurs that request will NOT be serviced until you turn mobile data on.

One example of this scenario is MMS - if someone sends you an MMS and you have mobile data turned off, you'll see a placeholder in the Messaging app that says something like "Downloading", but that download won't complete until you turn mobile data on (and press the download button). If you have both WiFi and mobile data turned on, when an MMS comes in you'll briefly see the mobile data icon come on and then go away, and when you open the Messaging app your MMS will already be there.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

If the phone should normally automatically go with WiFi when it is available, why does my Galaxy S3 disconnect WiFi when I enable mobile data? And when I select the option to disable mobile data, WiFi reconnects. It's backwards from what seems to makes sense. I noticed this since the recent Android version upgrade. Wifi was working fine until around then.

Quote Originally Posted by C Shinkawa View Post
    I noticed this since the recent Android version upgrade.
    What version upgrade are you referring to? There's been nothing for Verizon in quite some time.

Are you referring to 4.3 on a different carrier? If so, the update from a few weeks ago, or the one from the last few days?

If 4.3, did you perform a Factory Reset (and wipe the system cache in Recovery mode for good measure)?

Edit: welcome to the forums.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4