Won't send MMS

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I am coming back to a S3 from iPhone. One problem that I have had with previous Androids (Razr, Razr HD, Razr Maxx, S3) is sending pics and videos as MMS. I have tried the stock app, GoSMS, Handcent SMS, and Chomp SMS, all with the same result. If I take a picture, or shoot a 5-second video, and try to send either, I get a message that says the file is too large. What do I need to do, as I must have something set wrong? I have set video resolution to VGA in the past, but it didn't help.
I also have a friend with a Samsung Galaxy Blaze, and it absolutely will not receive a picture. It says "downloading", but never downloads.
TIA!

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just one quick thing, you need to be using cellular data (not WiFi) to get MMS messages and be able to do the downloads. I ran into that, and am usually using WiFi at home, so I got the "downloading" message and animation indefinitely. Very frustrating until I turned off WiFi, and had cellular data turned on *smile*. Then the download actually happened.

On the other hand, you may already know this and are having a different problem...

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
no i didnt know that. thanks, i've had that same problem and didn't know why

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Also of note there is a file size limit usually set by your Provider. Go SMS can be set for a limit of 5MB. That said I have a 4 second video that is 8.66MB in size which is too large. For video you have to change the resolution for MMS. Now the solution (some will argue this) is to use cloud storage and just SMS a link for the receiver to download Photo or Video.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Wi-Fi has nothing to do with sending MMS. MMS uses your Data only to send and receive. If the phone is functioning properly MMS will send and receive weather Wi-Fi is on or off. Now that said unless your Data speed is faster than your Wi-Fi just leave Wi-Fi on.

Mary Mangum

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. Searched settings to see what I might have set 'incorrectly', changed the resolution of the picture, etc. MMS would simply hang and never send. Then I turned WiFi off, and boom! Sent the pic, no problem.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Again, If the phone is functioning properly MMS will send and receive weather Wi-Fi is on or off. When sending an MMS the Data kicks in even if Wi-Fi is on.

lluke04

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Again, If the phone is functioning properly MMS will send and receive weather Wi-Fi is on or off. When sending an MMS the Data kicks in even if Wi-Fi is on.

This is NOT true... There are plenty of users using SIII, S4, different carriers and a lot of them have issues sending a MMS while wifi is on. You can receive fine, but cannot send. It's a known issue. If you have your wifi on and connected and send a MMS the 4G icon pops up signifying the use of mobile data and it just sits there and after a while you get a failed message. Receiving a MMS does the same thing, except the 4G icon disappears and goes back to wifi after the message appears.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I am coming back to a S3 from iPhone. One problem that I have had with previous Androids (Razr, Razr HD, Razr Maxx, S3) is sending pics and videos as MMS. I have tried the stock app, GoSMS, Handcent SMS, and Chomp SMS, all with the same result. If I take a picture, or shoot a 5-second video, and try to send either, I get a message that says the file is too large. What do I need to do, as I must have something set wrong? I have set video resolution to VGA in the past, but it didn't help.
I also have a friend with a Samsung Galaxy Blaze, and it absolutely will not receive a picture. It says "downloading", but never downloads.
TIA!

I use an S3 on Verizon, and send MMS & Video all the time.
It doesn't matter whether WiFi is on or not.

All SMS Apps will reduce the size of the photos. How it happens is in the settings.

Launch the video camera,
Go to: settings >recording mode>set for MMS.
It will have to be reset every time you launch the video camera.

In Chomp.
Go to settings: Mobile Carrier Settings >MMS Network Settings >check, Preserve Image Resolution
Set Size Limit to 1MB

In the Samsung Messaging app.
Go to settings>MMS Settings >Check, Auto Retrieve

These are the settings I use every day to send dozens of photos and videos (new Granddaughter.)

Now there has been a day or two that Verizon will take a about 20 minutes to send an MMS, but that's rare.

Sent from my M470BSA

CreativTech

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, If the phone is*functioning properly.
I have no problem sending or receiving MMS while Wi-Fi is on.

Yeah, gotta agree. I'm on WiFi the vast majority of the day, and I've never had trouble sending or receiving MMS. I've noticed that when I've sent one while on WiFi, the "4G" data icon will appear in the notification bar, and then go away once it's done.

Could another app (say, a battery saver) be turning off data in the background and preventing the SMS app from turning it back on to send the message? Just a thought.

Posted via Android Central App

pricemom3x

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi I am new here and so I may not be posting in the right area. I have a samsung galaxy note 2 I was always able to send pictures before Now when I get a picture mms. I can only open settings that allow me to set it to the home page and lock page. I can not forward it to anyone. It doesnt matter if Im using wifi or celllurlar data I am so frustrated!!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the stock Messaging app?
What DOES happen when you long-press the message?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This is NOT true... There are plenty of users using SIII, S4, different carriers and a lot of them have issues sending a MMS while wifi is on. You can receive fine, but cannot send. It's a known issue. If you have your wifi on and connected and send a MMS the 4G icon pops up signifying the use of mobile data and it just sits there and after a while you get a failed message. Receiving a MMS does the same thing, except the 4G icon disappears and goes back to wifi after the message appears.

I have the same problem. I'm not even sending anything but a few words as a group text that gets converted to mms. I have to turn off wifi most of the time to get them to send. My phone is functioning properly. This is the only issue I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. I'm not even sending anything but a few words as a group text that gets converted to mms. I have to turn off wifi most of the time to get them to send. My phone is functioning properly. This is the only issue I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Same problem for me over several years in two different cities in which I've lived, on both Sprint and now Verizon, on both HTC and Samsung devices. I am on wifi most of the time with pretty decent 3G and/or 4G signal also, and it's a crapshoot on ANY MMS message (text only or attached image): sometimes they send with no problem, sometimes they churn a while before finally sending, and other times (like the last 36 hours for me) the message eventually fails.

Not ever considering any connection to wifi, I turned it off after reading this thread. The result? Two MMS messages that had failed multiple times before searching this forum sent almost instantly.

I am beyond frustrated...and also tired of hearing my coworkers with iToys always say, 'I never have a problem on my...,' well, you know the rest.

Mark

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Same with me, if wifi is turned on wont send or receive, if off i will receive. When in group chat i have to manually download every text and have the wifi turned off

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
FYI - latest version of Handcent released today says it fixes MMS issue introduced in previous update. Let's see...

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have never thought there could be a connection between WiFi and this issue, but since finding this thread I have tested multiple time and confirmed: with WiFi on, all my MMS messages (attachments or group threads) hang; with WiFi off, they send almost instantly. While I am a Handcent user, I have tested in the stock messaging app as well. Go freakin' figure!

So if my phone isn't 'functioning properly,' what the heck could be out of whack??

Gotta be a solution...

Mark

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey