Is OTA unsigned update safe for my SCH-I535 for GSM Mode?

Jose Berumen1

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Im thinking in install the OTA update to my S3 Verizon but got a lot of questions in this matter

I just also download unsigned-d2vzw-JZO54K.I535VRBMB1-from-JRO03L.I535VRBLK3-ota-goo.gl-4G5Fs-v1.zip and actually I know had to rename it to update.zip to apply the update, mine is the S3 Verizon running with the stock firmware.

But my main question is about this.....I use my S3 with an International GSM Sim card, I have APN Enabled (with HiAPN Global) with actually data running fine (in Edge speeds but running ) and my actual Non-Verizon Sim card fully working for calls and SMS/MMS, also my SCH-I535 is Rooted with SU updated. In resume, all the stuff I need to run GSM is here installed....

And my concern is...If is there a chance I will loose everything the mods for GSM working if I apply this update? Im using JRO03L.I535VRBLK3

Tanks en advance for your valuable help..

Jose Berumen1

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Im on stock, really don't know if my bootloader is unlocked but Its supposed since when the S3 starts in the main splashscreen appears Custom Unlocked and an opened lock.

The unsigned update is different from the signed one. So its supposed to keep my root because is modded. But my concern is if It will keep my GSM config too as my root? Im affraid of loose my GSM.

Is here someone that made this process with succeed and without loosing the GSM?!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Im on stock, really don't know if my bootloader is unlocked but Its supposed since when the S3 starts in the main splashscreen appears Custom Unlocked and an opened lock.

The unsigned update is different from the signed one. So its supposed to keep my root because is modded. But my concern is if It will keep my GSM config too as my root? Im affraid of loose my GSM.

Is here someone that made this process with succeed and without loosing the GSM?!

an "OTA" update is *supposed* to keep all settings in tact and only update the appropriate files. Having said that, I honestly have no idea how this would affect your GSM config...

Hopefully others can help with that, but first, let's make sure everything else is kosher before you move on...

I'm assuming you downloaded the file from here?: [MOD] OTA updates - keep root, custom recovery, unlocked bootloader and Google Wallet - xda-developers

As it states in that thread, you must be rooted with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery for this to work...so you'll need to check that if you're not sure...

To check for custom recovery, download ROM manager from the Play Store. When you open the app, check at the top under "RECOVERY". It should list your current recovery, and if running custom it should say something to the effect of "ClockworkMod 6.0.2.3". If it doesn't, you'll need to install it...but in order to do that, you need to confirm that your bootloader is unlocked...

See this thread here for info on how to unlock the bootloader. I don't believe you can do any harm by running this on an already unlocked bootloader, but someone may want to chime in here if I'm wrong... (Version 1.2 is apparently the "good" one).

FYI -- there's a good chance you went through all of this when you rooted your phone.

Also, the .zip file you downloaded doesn't need to be re-named, as it is an unsigned update and doesn't use the "normal" builtin update methods. You install it by booting to recovery (CWM) and installing the zip file from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret