Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By The SuperUser
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    crb

Default Stock S3 not reconized by windows 7 or 8

I can not get windows to recognize my stock s3 since the JB update. I have tired 3 or 4 different usb cables all of which came with my phones.Phone is running 4.1.2. I even tired older versions of the Samsung drivers. Phones charge, but do not show up on my computer. I have tired windows 7 and 8 on two different computers. What can I do? Also tried latest version of kies. No luck.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    crb

Default Re: Stock S3 not reconized by windows 7 or 8

I also no longer get usb options on the drop down menu when I plug the phone in via pc usb.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by crb View Post
    I can not get windows to recognize my stock s3 since the JB update. I have tired 3 or 4 different usb cables all of which came with my phones.Phone is running 4.1.2. I even tired older versions of the Samsung drivers. Phones charge, but do not show up on my computer. I have tired windows 7 and 8 on two different computers. What can I do? Also tried latest version of kies. No luck.
    Try a different USB port. Try seeing if there are more updated drivers online and reinstall those. Reboot into recovery and clear cache.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    The SuperUser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Try a different USB port. Try seeing if there are more updated drivers online and reinstall those. Reboot into recovery and clear cache.
    This. Try a new port, if this leads to no avail, go to Samsung.com and get a new driver.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by crb View Post
    I also no longer get usb options on the drop down menu when I plug the phone in via pc usb.
    Just thought of something else....is it possible you have USB debugging checked (Settings>Developer Options>scroll down)? Sometimes that messes with the USB connection.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

I don't think any random person would enable debugging unless they knew what it was and what it does, although good notion.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by The SuperUser View Post
    I don't think any random person would enable debugging unless they knew what it was and what it does, although good notion.
    Very good point and because of this point I almost didn't post it, but as Sherlock Holmes said, 'Once eliminating the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the answer.' That and the general rule of thumb for troubleshooting is 'try everything' just in case.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    crb

Usb debugging unchecked. I even checked it and then un checked it. I've tried every usb port. I downloaded the latest Samsung driver and kies. I tried an older driver I knew worked. The Windows 8 machine us brand new. I think I will try to connect my wife's s3 and see if hers connects
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    crb

plugged my wifes phone in and it came up just fine. Her phone even came up with the usb option on the pull down menu, mine does not. Same cord same port same pc. Settings on both phones are identical except screen time out.

I am going to try a factory reset and see if that helps.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    crb

Factory reset didn't work/

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted S3

Perhaps a piece of fuzz in the connector is preventing the data connection? Seriously I've had that happen to me. Don't just blow in it with your mouth, use dry canned air.
    Thanked by:
    crb 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    crb

Performed a hard reset and blew out with air, and it now it works. Thanks all!