Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By japetty
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropped my S3 32GB, no replacement from Asurian

Anyone have any tips about dealing with Asurian? I dropped my S3 today and shattered the screen. I called them to get a replacement shipped out, but they no longer have the S3 32GBs in stock, so they wanted to replace it with a 16GB or a Note. I asked them if they could replace it with the newer model S4, but they said it isn't showing in their system yet.

They didn't offer any other options or brands.

Any advice for dealing with them? This is the first time I've ever needed to use the insurance I've been carrying for 10 years.

Default Re: Dropped my S3 32GB, no replacement from Asurian

If it were me, and I could get a Note 2 this way, I wouldn't be too crushed by that *smile*. But when are they getting more 32GB S3's? If they're insuring them, they should have them in stock real soon *smile*. I've never used those guys, but since you got it through Verizon, Verizon most likely has some leverage with them. So you can start there and see if you can't get them to find you a 32GB S3 *smile*.

VZW don't even have the 32gb S3 they have quit stocking them. I don't know if VZW stocks any phone in 32gb and the newer S4 is only in 16 gb with only about 9gb usable to you for apps when you get it. Remember apps can not be moved to an SD card so the SD card is only usable for photos and music. They are doing this so you will use the VZW cloud for your excess apps and use up your data allotment. Some VZW reps say you can move apps to the SD card but they are FOS, don't believe it. You can wait for a 32gb S3 and maybe get one but then you may have to just accept one of the other phone if you need your phone. Remember the Note 2 is only a 16gb phone. Suggest if you have to take a 16gb phone you might sell it on ebay and find a 32gb phone to purchase cause they are available and some of the people who are pre ordering S4's will be selling their S3 32gb when the S4 is delivered May 23, 2013. Good luck if you wait to get the S3 32gb from Asurion.
    tony477g likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Right now, I'm only using 13GB of my phone's storage (total), of which 8GB are miscellaneous downloads, so I could probably work with 16GB, if need be. Still, it's pretty appalling that Asurion doesn't have the flagship phone in stock -- and isn't planning to restock it -- less than nine months since it became available. I paid a premium for the 32GB model last July, so this is pretty galling.

I'm thinking my best bet might be to wait a week and see if I can at least get Asurion to replace this with the S4. I didn't realize Verizon wouldn't have the 32GB model -- that sucks -- but by upgrading me to the current model, they'd at least be doing something to make up for losing half the memory I've paid for.

The data thing isn't a big deal for me, as I'm grandfathered into an unlimited plan (and I don't use all that much data anyway).

If they can't get a new one, they can't offer you one, since it isn't made anymore. If you must have the 32gb s3,get the note 2 and sell it trade for a 32gb s3

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    nancybout likes this.

Grrr same thing happened to me over the weekend, dropped it and craaaaacked...! They wanted to replace it with a 16GB version. no deal. They did not have any other offer for me at the time. I told them I would call back. I have my old thunderbolt to use so I can wait on this for either a 32 to become available or get the s4.

Does anyone know how long the claim will stay open? I figure if the s4 comes out next week as planned then maybe shortly after that they will have them to offer?

EDIT: So I was being lazy when I asked the question. Picking up the phone does wonders.... claim stays open for 180 days, I can check back to see if they have the 32's in stock. so I can wait until next Friday or even the following week and check back.

In reality I too can probably live with a 16gb, but very inconvenient for me moving stuff back and forth but if need be it can be done, and why should I downgrade when I paid for the 32gb.

If the S4 is actually out, when will Assurion have them and be able to offer them?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

From what they told me, they will not be receiving any 32GB S3's in any color. They suggested I call back at the end of the week, when they may know more about the S4 -- of course, that's not a promise that they'd be willing to replace my S3 with an S4. I think they said claims stay open for 21 days. (But I couldn't swear to it.) Fortunately, my S3 still works OK, despite the screen looking like a spider web.

If that doesn't work out, I'm tempted to get rebates from Verizon for my broken S3 and my old Fascinate and apply them toward an S4. In the store yesterday, they told me they'd give me $47 for a broken S3 or $100 for a repaired one. (I didn't think to ask about the Fascinate, but it must be worth a few bucks.) Since the Asurian deductible is $100, getting a rebate for the broken device would be the better deal.

I wasn't planning to upgrade to the S4 this year -- I've been perfectly happy with my S3 and I try to upgrade every other year -- but I suppose it doesn't really matter whether I upgrade now or later. I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan, so I'll have to pay full retail for a new phone if I want to keep my plan anyway.

Of course I was told different things as you were. As I said she told me 180 days, which even if it is 21 days I am ok with that. The other thing she told me was the 32GB's are backordered and they should be getting some more. BUT I think she just assumed they were and not a fact.

My best option is to wait and see if they will do a S4 or maybe a Note(and sell the note) and upgrade to the s4, but not sure I want to lose the unlimited as I use alot of data on the road.

Let us know what they say at the end of the week about the s4, and I will do the same next week when I speak to them.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I will update when I check again. I'm pretty much decided that I'll take an S4 if they'll give me one, but we'll see if they do. Yesterday, they fought me on the idea that going from a 32GB to a 16GB would be a step down.

note or note2????

Quote Originally Posted by Kalnel View Post
    I will update when I check again. I'm pretty much decided that I'll take an S4 if they'll give me one, but we'll see if they do. Yesterday, they fought me on the idea that going from a 32GB to a 16GB would be a step down.
    A step way down in my opinion and anyone else that knows why we buy phones with 32gb of internal memory.

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mikeblade82 View Post
    note or note2????
    Verizon never carried the note 1 so it would be the 2
    I'm a superuser
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well, I just talked to them again and got a new story. They have the 32GB back in stock, so they're sending me that. They said they don't replace old phones with newer models, ever.

So, wrong info from the first call, and, I suspect, wrong info on this call, since I know they DO replace with newer models from time to time.

For the future, the screen can be replaced for around $200. If they can't replace it they should fix it. Since the insurance plan is purchased through VZW, if me, I would march right down to my Justice of the Peace, file a Small Claims suit and get the price of a new phone. Us wee folk still have some rights.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

In this case, they're replacing it for $99. Since they have a 32GB now, it's an equal replacement. Given the premium, the deductible is a bit high, but it's cheaper and faster than replacing the screen myself.

In this case, they're replacing it for $99. Since they have a 32GB now, it's an equal replacement. Given the premium, the deductible is a bit high, but it's cheaper and faster than replacing the screen myself.
    I think you got a good deal myself and you got the 32gb it is just not as new as the S4 but I think the phone being 32gb is better than having the S4 16gb. I just don't see where that phone is going to work out unless they do something for it owners. 8 - 9 gb of usable memory just is not enough anymore.

I called Asurion after reading this and they did a mock claim for me. They said they absolutely had 32gb S3's in the same color as mine, blurple. So I don't know what to believe.

Edit: Ah, I see the initial info re no 32gb versions was wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jackdubl View Post
    I called Asurion after reading this and they did a mock claim for me. They said they absolutely had 32gb S3's in the same color as mine, blurple. So I don't know what to believe.

Edit: Ah, I see the initial info re no 32gb versions was wrong.

"Blurple". Love it. Much more descriptive then Pebble Blue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Called Asurion and yes the 32gb pebble blue in stock and they are replacing mine. This is acceptable since thats the model I have, although I agree the deductible is high.

Already ordered a UAG case and Armor Tech screen protector from Amazon. Not a fan of cases, but they serve their purpose I suppose.

Anyone have any tips about dealing with Asurian? I dropped my S3 today and shattered the screen. I called them to get a replacement shipped out, but they no longer have the S3 32GBs in stock, so they wanted to replace it with a 16GB or a Note. I asked them if they could replace it with the newer model S4, but they said it isn't showing in their system yet.

They didn't offer any other options or brands.

Any advice for dealing with them? This is the first time I've ever needed to use the insurance I've been carrying for 10 years.
    Asurian is a total scam. I've now tried twice to have a claim honored and in each case they said our broken phone doesn't qualify. She said 'maybe if you dropped your phone we could honor your claim' to which I told her I will throw the f*cking phone against the wall and call you back. She didn't think that was funny and threatened to report me for fraud. They are extremely rude and unhelpful. We dropped the insurance as it seems they are in the business to NOT payout or replace any phone under any circumstance.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I got my replacement device on Monday -- a 32GB in Blue, despite the fact they said they wouldn't be restocking them last week.

The serial numbers, etc., on it are all Asurian's, but it must be a newer model than my old phone. (I got one of the earliest shipments last year.) The bezel is much bluer than the model I had, which was nearly black. The GPS is definitely faster and more accurate -- I'm getting 22-23 satellites, versus 13-17, and they're fixing in less than 2 seconds versus 90 seconds. The camera also seems to be a little crisper. No signs of wear suggesting that this was a refurb.

The phone arrived with a power cord, new battery, and a new SIM card. I was surprised about that, as I thought I'd be getting only the phone.

I got my replacement device on Monday -- a 32GB in Blue, despite the fact they said they wouldn't be restocking them last week.

The serial numbers, etc., on it are all Asurian's, but it must be a newer model than my old phone. (I got one of the earliest shipments last year.) The bezel is much bluer than the model I had, which was nearly black. The GPS is definitely faster and more accurate -- I'm getting 22-23 satellites, versus 13-17, and they're fixing in less than 2 seconds versus 90 seconds. The camera also seems to be a little crisper. No signs of wear suggesting that this was a refurb.

The phone arrived with a power cord, new battery, and a new SIM card. I was surprised about that, as I thought I'd be getting only the phone.
    Does sound as though you got a new phone not a refurbished. I got a similar thing with my Samsung i815 after I lost my original. I think Asurion is replacing many of those due to breaking or just lost. The S3 32gb is getting hard to find now. You can still find them though. I want an S4 32gb on VZW if they get them. If they don't I will get another S3 32gb.

I was in the exact same boat, refusing the 16GB and crossing my fingers that I would get the S4 after this week, but then they got the 32GB back into stock somehow. Just received my replacement today. According to both the Asurion and Verizon reps that I talked to, while they couldn't assure me of it, Asurion is "just about contractually obligated" (whatever that means) to give you a choice of a better, not worse, option if they can't replace your exact model. Would have loved to get the S4 but happy with my phone back after a week of being on an OG droid.
    As for Asurion being a scam, this is my second replacement with them and I couldn't be happier with their service. I would just remember that the longer you keep your phone worse of a bargain the premium becomes. I buy top of the line (ie $600) phones and replace them every year, so 7 dollars a month and a 99 deductible isn't horrible when replacing it myself would cost 500+ but on the second or third year the deductible is still $99 but the phone can usually be purchased for 250-350 so paying 7 a month for insurance is not much of a bargain I would keep that in mind and consider dropping the insurance as the phone drops in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Feom View Post
    I was in the exact same boat, refusing the 16GB and crossing my fingers that I would get the S4 after this week, but then they got the 32GB back into stock somehow. Just received my replacement today. According to both the Asurion and Verizon reps that I talked to, while they couldn't assure me of it, Asurion is "just about contractually obligated" (whatever that means) to give you a choice of a better, not worse, option if they can't replace your exact model. Would have loved to get the S4 but happy with my phone back after a week of being on an OG droid.
    As for Asurion being a scam, this is my second replacement with them and I couldn't be happier with their service. I would just remember that the longer you keep your phone worse of a bargain the premium becomes. I buy top of the line (ie $600) phones and replace them every year, so 7 dollars a month and a 99 deductible isn't horrible when replacing it myself would cost 500+ but on the second or third year the deductible is still $99 but the phone can usually be purchased for 250-350 so paying 7 a month for insurance is not much of a bargain I would keep that in mind and consider dropping the insurance as the phone drops in price.
    Asurion is "just about contractually obligated" (whatever that means) to give you a choice of a better, not worse,
    They have to give you what you had insured with them or better unless you accept something less. Most insurance companies would just turn to giving you the value of the equipment in a check and letting you buy something else if you don't accept anything else they could offer.