GS3 vs GS4

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm contemplating switching to either a GS3 or a GS4. I doubt I will ever use all the gimmick features that comes with an S4. And I don't need the latest and greatest. But I do need a reliable phone. Going through posts I noticed a lot of issues with GS3 radios, so a lot of issue with dropped calls and not getting any type of signal. With that said I need a phone to be a phone, it needs to have great call quality. I am typically very careful with my phone and do expect it to use it for at least 2 years before switching again. Which phone would you recommend?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think "a lot of issues" is probably an exaggeration. Understand that no one is going to start a thread to say "Hey, my S3 has great call quality!" Only those with issues are going to mention it at all. My GS3 isn't on Verizon, so I won't comment beyond saying that I have no issues with dropped calls, other than in places like elevators and underground parking garages.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm contemplating switching to either a GS3 or a GS4. I doubt I will ever use all the gimmick features that comes with an S4. And I don't need the latest and greatest. But I do need a reliable phone. Going through posts I noticed a lot of issues with GS3 radios, so a lot of issue with dropped calls and not getting any type of signal. With that said I need a phone to be a phone, it needs to have great call quality. I am typically very careful with my phone and do expect it to use it for at least 2 years before switching again. Which phone would you recommend?

Either phone would be a good choice. I have an S3, and haven't had any problems with it cell wise. I think some of the posts you were seeing were older, and Samsung fixed the modems in a couple of the updates.

You should be able to disable most, if not all, of the gimmicks. Probably in Settings>Motion. I would try that in a Verizon store when they get the S4. Just see if is brings up all that stuff with a list of check marks. If it does, there you go.

Probably the biggest downside to the S3 is the questionable fact of how long Samsung will provide support for the device. As a former flagship phone it should get 4.2, and highly possible to get 4.3. But, when Google releases 5.0, that becomes highly questionable.

By the way, it looks llike you are pretty new to the forums. Welcome. Hope you are enjoying them.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Either phone would be a good choice. I have an S3, and haven't had any problems with it cell wise. I think some of the posts you were seeing were older, and Samsung fixed the modems in a couple of the updates.

You should be able to disable most, if not all, of the gimmicks. Probably in Settings>Motion. I would try that in a Verizon store when they get the S4. Just see if is brings up all that stuff with a list of check marks. If it does, there you go.

Probably the biggest downside to the S3 is the questionable fact of how long Samsung will provide support for the device. As a former flagship phone it should get 4.2, and highly possible to get 4.3. But, when Google releases 5.0, that becomes highly questionable.

By the way, it looks llike you are pretty new to the forums. Welcome. Hope you are enjoying them.

Thanks :) one of the things I mentioned in my other post trying to get opinions on is the fact that GS3 has a huge user base. Can't imagine Samsung will drop Key Lime Pie for one of their biggest user base unless the technology can't handle the newer OS, but the spec for GS3 still seem very good and its only 1 year old. I might just stick with the GS3 for now. The price itself is great for an upgrade and there is plenty of accessories for it.

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

When using call/signal reliability as the deciding factor, unfortunately, the only way to find out if the phone is right for you is to just buy it. It's about living where you are and going the places you go. Unless there's somebody living in your neck of the woods who can share their experience, you just have to jump in the deep end to find out. In general though, there isn't a widespread hardware problem with the phone. Any radio/reception problems that people speak of are the result of where they're located or perhaps their GS3 was a lemon... which can happen with any phone. :)

WRX13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
We've all seen what's to come from the S4, and beyond the software "gimmicks" I don't think there's enough difference to notice.

If prices were equal, of course the S4.

For the $130-200 difference? I'd stick with the S3--there's not much the dual-core and 2GB ram S3 can't do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34